P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

2 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Agree it's a female blackcap .

That picture is definitely a female blackcap - but I think that it's only been posted to illustrate the suggestion. I don't think it is "the spotted bird".

5 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Spotted my first ever Scottish nuthatch today! No photos sadly, I seem to be living right around the current northern extent:

Nuthatch population density map

I'm not sure where you are, but in the last couple of years we've started seeing them regularly in and around Edinburgh. Their numbers increased by over 5000% between the last two full surveys (from memory - they were certainly miles in the lead!). We saw our first Scottish one near Dryburgh in February 2019; I've seen them on 4 walks in the last 3 weeks.

Lived in Sauchie for 18 years without seeing one - or at least without clocking that I'd seen one, as I wouldn't have known a nuthatch from a treecreeper back then. One of the staff at the Gartmorn Dam centre told me years ago that they get "a lot of birds, coming down off the hills". He particularly mentioned green woodpeckers - another bird I've never seen in Clacks.

14 hours ago, sugna said:

That picture is definitely a female blackcap - but I think that it's only been posted to illustrate the suggestion. I don't think it is "the spotted bird".

I'm not sure where you are, but in the last couple of years we've started seeing them regularly in and around Edinburgh. Their numbers increased by over 5000% between the last two full surveys (from memory - they were certainly miles in the lead!). We saw our first Scottish one near Dryburgh in February 2019; I've seen them on 4 walks in the last 3 weeks.

It's been bizarre how quickly and thoroughly they've colonised the central belt - I know the SOC Clyde Area bird recorder who was trying to document their spread was getting frustrated because no-one was reporting them anymore. I reckon the reason is that they're now at a stage where you don't really think of them as rare or unusual.

I remember being quite excited when I heard the first one in the woods at the bottom of my garden maybe four or five years ago, but now I'd put them in the same category as GSW or the like...you maybe don't see them every day, but they're there and you do see them fairly regularly.

16 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Just showed up recently, some kind of thrush? v aggressive towards smaller birds.

thumbnail_Resized_20210130_113030.thumb.jpg.161931a9bf28d660bdee864a21cacf51.jpg

Mistle Thrush I think. According to my book on garden birds they are known to be defensive towards their territory 

6 minutes ago, stanton said:

Possibly at this time of year info says it usually winters in Southern and Western Europe, but that book is wee bit old now 

Cheers, it makes a weird noise as well, like a football rattle. There's a rowan tree in the neighbours garden, it's guarding it and scoffing the berries.

10 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Cheers, it makes a weird noise as well, like a football rattle. There's a rowan tree in the neighbours garden, it's guarding it and scoffing the berries.

Call described as a " Hard grating trrrrrrrrrrrr " with long pauses in between , found in open woodlands,  parks and gardens with trees    Known to defend berried trees and bushes 

Had a wee wander yesterday and found a Treecreeper. The first shot is him flying away just as I pressed the shutter, not my fault I would say, they're just very flighty.  Came back soon after, to a closer tree.

EOSR1036.thumb.jpeg.6301fa4ae17c770df4cf194e89a4126f.jpeg

EOSR1037.thumb.jpeg.1bf24ddb08c3241e38ed3c9818e00201.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

EOSR1037.thumb.jpeg.1bf24ddb08c3241e38ed3c9818e00201.jpeg

Excellent.

I had a (relatively) prolonged view of one from no more than 4 yards away last Friday. Camera ready, best lens fitted, all I had to do was stay calm, focus and snap off a few shots.

Complete Hibsed it.

On 30/01/2021 at 22:45, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

It looks like a mistle thrush, sounds like a mistle thrush, eats like a mistle thrush and behaves like a mistle thrush.

Our neighbour has a rowan, and there's a mistle thrush that's been working it for the last few weeks. Football rattle call, chasing off a woodpigeon, very mistle-thrushy.

Also managed to get some decent sightings of these birds in our local woods: one was nearby, a little low light; the other was very well lit, near the top of a tree. One day I'll get proximity and light together.

16 minutes ago, sugna said:

Excellent.

I had a (relatively) prolonged view of one from no more than 4 yards away last Friday. Camera ready, best lens fitted, all I had to do was stay calm, focus and snap off a few shots.

Complete Hibsed it.

Happens all the time. I’ve built up an album of wildlife shots on the computer but there’s always that next species you want to get. It used to be Herons but now I hardly look at a Heron unless they’ve got prey, they’re ten a penny.
I had never seen a fox in my life except one raking bins at night, then this winter I’ve had 3 fox encounters and the 3rd one got me some great shots (one on the photography thread). Treecreepers are one where I’ve had very little luck, the wife sees them first then they scuttle away up the tree.