P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

7 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

You'll have a hard time poisoning cormorants on a river.

The level of FEB (fish eating birds) on many Scottish rivers has exploded in last few decades with limited legal control of predators and the protection of introduced species like Goosander who are absolute machines at hoovering up populations of trout and salmon.

Goosander is not an introduced species. It colonised Scotland naturally about 150 years ago

Goosander is not an introduced species. It colonised Scotland naturally about 150 years ago
They were brought in from eastern europe to Perthshire on an estate and have thrived since, that was my understanding anyway.

I spend multiple days up to my chuckies wading on many rivers chasing salmon from January to September and it's patently obvious from witnessing floatillas of cormorants and Goosander and listening to the guys who have worked on the rivers for 40-50 years that there is a changing imbalance in that period. Changes in smolt predation isn't the only problem, and fishing practice in the past was a clear issue, but the health of salmon populations are alarming.

On 29/12/2020 at 08:51, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Not a birdwatcher but discussion of cormorants on the previous page allows me to share an enjoyable fact I learned recently. An alternative Scots word for cormorant is a "scarf" which comes from the Gaelic "sgarbh". Found that out after doing Gaelic duolingo - I'm a big fan of when you can see links between Gaelic and Scots like that. Apparently cormorants also come up in Gaelic similes - the thing to say is apparently "I am as wet as a cormorant".

One I learned from my mother in law - cho làn ri ugh - as full as an egg.

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 08:51, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Not a birdwatcher but discussion of cormorants on the previous page allows me to share an enjoyable fact I learned recently. An alternative Scots word for cormorant is a "scarf" which comes from the Gaelic "sgarbh". Found that out after doing Gaelic duolingo - I'm a big fan of when you can see links between Gaelic and Scots like that. Apparently cormorants also come up in Gaelic similes - the thing to say is apparently "I am as wet as a cormorant".

OIPTZNJDTE3.jpg.34396cd21a41dda70e36a2b5fc982147.jpg

"Tha e cho fliuch ri sgarbh"

Spent half an hour this morning trying to picture Reed Buntings in their classic environment on a patch of bull rush seed heads but could I get close enough without spooking them !
Also saw a nice mixed flock of green and gold finches in the same area on Barassie beach margins.

Isn't it Scart rather than Scarf ?
When working on creel boats they were always known as Scarts in Argyll but as with all anglicisations from Gaelic there can be several local different variations.

On a similar vein in and around Kintyre they call Guillemot's "Dookers" (presumably as the swim the dook below the surface to fish) and locally residents of Tarbert are known as "Dookers"

• 2 weeks later...

In the last few weeks I’ve seen a bird in my garden that I’m unable to identify.

It’s roughly the size, size and shade of a sparrow apart from its bright yellow head.

Anybody have any idea what it could be?

14 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

In the last few weeks I’ve seen a bird in my garden that I’m unable to identify.

It’s roughly the size, size and shade of a sparrow apart from its bright yellow head.

Could it be a siskin?

Siskin_469936876_1280x960.thumb.jpg.2a1e88f6ce19ea43302723a22fd68478.jpg

Or even a greenfinch?

greenfinch-1.jpg.bea01e9352e8fb293d302cb7cc20a38b.jpg

26 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Maybe a yellowhammer if you live near open country - they will sometimes come into gardens when the weather's tough.

Yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella) – Planet of Birds

Thanks for the suggestions, 

I had looked on the RSPB identifier without success. The thing that confused me was that from the neck down it looked like a sparrow, no yellow on the body at all.

It could be a Yellowhammer, I didn’t know that their winter plumage was different.

Not sure they'd sing in your garden, at this time of year; but yellowhammers famously have a very distinctive song. It actually does sound quite like the rhythm and emphasis of "A little bit of bread and no cheese"! Except "cheese" is more "che-eese". Do you hear anything like that when the bird's around?

We were up by Forres in the summer, and once we tuned into the song, it was quite easy to pick it up from a field away when we were out on our bikes. Quite exciting to hear the song, make the ID, then continue cycling to see the birds we'd heard earlier. I support more expert birdwatchers do that all the time, with all sorts of species, but it was very enjoyable.

On 19/01/2021 at 12:08, Ziggy said:

Could it be a female Blackcap?

Female-Blackcap.jpg