P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

56 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

This particular heron decided to put on a wee display and pose for me this morning. I have to admit it was standing so still I thought it was a black bin bag on my approach. 

That's not a heron.

That's twice now I've managed to spot a jay in the middle of Falkirk in the wee park along from my house. I don't ever remember there being many of them about.
It's only been in the last 2 or 3 years I have seen Jay around the Bo'ness area. I surprised one yesterday and what a racket it made when it launched into flight. Cracking looking bird.

7 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Haha I get para like that about identifying stuff, like guys in tactical gear are going to blast through the windows and take me away if I get it wrong 😄

Yes, I'm also (too) concerned about giving someone who knows even less than me a bum steer.

I have had several ludicrous mis-calls over the years, and none has done any lasting damage. Right now, I'm remembering saying to my wife that I thought I'd seen a jack snipe. I didn't really have much idea, a very bad view and only picking up the bill, really. When we inevitably met the auld worthies with their telescope, she passed that on as a "possible", getting them very interested; then they pointed to a clear view of some bar-tailed godwits through their scope... and it was the same thing that we'd seen.

You live and learn, though. Here's a photo I took at that same site a month ago (may already have posted it here...).

1785542837_124188076_689956918301187_8353439614906610039_n(1).thumb.jpg.3abab31eb37a7e6c73b45fb718136e85.jpg

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I've put my orthopaedic shoes on and stand corrected! I did think it was a bit darker than normal but am so used to seeing herons on the canal. Thanks to all those who put me right.

I like cormorants myself. They're interesting in that unlike other seabirds their plumage is not naturally waterproof so you can see them drying out their feathers like the bird in your photo.

The Chinese used to train them to catch fish 

Older readers might remember Graculus in "Noggin the Nog". I think he was a cormorant. 

I like cormorants myself. They're interesting in that unlike other seabirds their plumage is not naturally waterproof so you can see them drying out their feathers like the bird in your photo.
Older readers might remember Graculus in "Noggin the Nog". I think he was a cormorant. 
Yeah, it was having a right old flap. Didn't realise this was why though- thanks. Hadn't seen it before but saw it again yesterday at the same point on the canal near Ruchill / Lambhill while out for a run. Didn't manage to take a picture this time as I was knackered and not capable of anything more than trying to put one foot in front of another. Are they normally seabirds or is it quite common to see them inland?

19 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
On 20/12/2020 at 18:49, tamthebam said:

Yeah, it was having a right old flap. Didn't realise this was why though- thanks. Hadn't seen it before but saw it again yesterday at the same point on the canal near Ruchill / Lambhill while out for a run. Didn't manage to take a picture this time as I was knackered and not capable of anything more than trying to put one foot in front of another. Are they normally seabirds or is it quite common to see them inland?

I suppose they're like anything- if the food's there they'll go for it.

I have seen a cormorant on Figgate Pond in Portobello but that's not too far from the sea. Most cormorants I've seen have been in the Firth of Forth- either flying low across the water or sitting on rocks.

Interesting hearing you all talking about jays and the racket they make. Here's a Stellar's Jay, which is common in our garden in Colorado. (Not my photo). Like yours they make one hell of a noise. They can imitate other birds and while I haven't seen it myself, they're known to mimic hawks. All the wee birds skedaddle for cover and the Jay then gets the bird feeders to themselves.

Steller's Jay Adult (Interior)

Yeah cormorants are now commonly seen inland, much to the consternation of salmon fisherman.

I saw a video from the middle Tay recently with what looked like a skein of geese landing in the river and systematically cleaning out the river of Salmon smolts as they made their run for the sea in the spring.

That will be dead cormorants turning up now that have absolutely in no way been poisoned by gamekeepers..
You'll have a hard time poisoning cormorants on a river.

The level of FEB (fish eating birds) on many Scottish rivers has exploded in last few decades with limited legal control of predators and the protection of introduced species like Goosander who are absolute machines at hoovering up populations of trout and salmon.