P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

48 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I think there was a grey wagtail in the garden yesterday. it didn't hang around.

larger than a pied wagtail with cream underside and light brown on top.

They usually show quite yellow underneath, leading to a lot of claims of yellow wagtails.

I was taking my wall baskets down for the winter yesterday. Against the fence the wood behind was encrusted with slaters (wood louse) and my resident Robin was literally sitting 2 feet from me waiting for each basket to be removed before hopping down a plank and gorging on the wee beasties. He was fearless.

On 07/11/2020 at 07:58, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I think there was a grey wagtail in the garden yesterday. it didn't hang around.

larger than a pied wagtail with cream underside and light brown on top.

Doesn't sound like a grey wagtail. They have a noticably yellow underside and a slate grey/blue top part. I would suggest it was maybe a reed bunting you saw

Worst photo in the history of this thread but I was trying to get mobile to zoom in before it took off and it didn't focus.  Anyway, we couldn't tell if it was a sparrowhawk or a young Buzzard. Was too dreich to see if there was the orangish Sparrowhawk breast and was only there for a few seconds. We back onto farmland and regularly see and hear buzzards but just not sure. 

Interestingly, our usually busy bird feeders were quiet for the next hour. 

IMG_20201029_144540.thumb.jpg.6c3d57383b40cfd15be98cd98cae785c.jpg

Worst photo in the history of this thread but I was trying to get mobile to zoom in before it took off and it didn't focus.  Anyway, we couldn't tell if it was a sparrowhawk or a young Buzzard. Was too dreich to see if there was the orangish Sparrowhawk breast and was only there for a few seconds. We back onto farmland and regularly see and hear buzzards but just not sure. 
Interestingly, our usually busy bird feeders were quiet for the next hour. 
IMG_20201029_144540.thumb.jpg.6c3d57383b40cfd15be98cd98cae785c.jpg

Would go for a female Sparrowhawk[emoji848]

Climate change in action? Worth logging that with the BTO.

Wtf, just saw a magpie in my garden (loch ness area). Have never seen one this far north, ever. This is hoody/carrion crow country, in 20 odd yrs bird watching have never seen one up here. Could it have been released or blown off course?
20201117_131329.thumb.jpg.d338627b6ce846300fc38c8c0b98dc48.jpg

Magpie sightings in the highlands are becoming more common. Don’t think it’s down to climate change, just the magpies spreading north. I read somewhere that they have utilised railways lines to spread across the country.

I remember when I first saw magpies in Perth, maybe around 5 years ago at Broxden roundabout. It want long until I saw them in my garden, which was on the other side of Perth.

They are corvids after all, intelligent and adaptable birds. For example, cities and towns back in ye olde day would have had ravens as well before some bright spark decided to exterminate them to protect sheep.

Must have been about 1000 geese over the house last night. Heading south from Montrose presumably.

Plenty magpies in Dundee these days. Noisy fuckers. Still well outnumbered by the coal tits though.

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

Always see them in Edinburgh and Aberdeenshire, but never out this way. Always believed that the hoodies muscled them out but it came down to feed immediately after the two resident hoodies flew away. Pretty chuffed cause always excited to see them when visiting relatives cause never get to see them up here!

12 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Magpie sightings in the highlands are becoming more common. Don’t think it’s down to climate change, just the magpies spreading north. I read somewhere that they have utilised railways lines to spread across the country.

I remember when I first saw magpies in Perth, maybe around 5 years ago at Broxden roundabout. It want long until I saw them in my garden, which was on the other side of Perth.

They are corvids after all, intelligent and adaptable birds. For example, cities and towns back in ye olde day would have had ravens as well before some bright spark decided to exterminate them to protect sheep.

Saw a raven flying over Baillieston a  month back. A pair of buzzards nest next to the M8 near the Fort. I think big scavengers might be making a comeback to the cities. I've seen kites in Leeds quite impressive. 

Saw a raven flying over Baillieston a  month back. A pair of buzzards nest next to the M8 near the Fort. I think big scavengers might be making a comeback to the cities. I've seen kites in Leeds quite impressive. 

Red Kites released from the Harewood Estate ( North Leeds) back in 1999 that continue to flourish.[emoji106]

https://harewood.org/explore/bird-garden/bird/red-kites/#:~:text=Red%20Kites%20were%20released%20on%20the%20Harewood%20estate,to%20Lowland%20areas%20of%20Yorkshire%20is%20now%20complete.

Saw some goldfinches on a lunchtime walk today. They're getting their acts together for all of that impress-a-mate stuff, going by the brightness of the plumage.
1248200338_118A0084(2).thumb.JPG.9f76399dfa0f95a20d48c6a0c31062e2.JPG

They are an amazing success story. Rare as hens teeth round here even 10 years ago and now right up there with sparrows, Robin's and Blackbirds as the commonest birds around at least in Ayrshire.

3 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
3 hours ago, sugna said:
Saw some goldfinches on a lunchtime walk today. They're getting their acts together for all of that impress-a-mate stuff, going by the brightness of the plumage.
1248200338_118A0084(2).thumb.JPG.9f76399dfa0f95a20d48c6a0c31062e2.JPG

They are an amazing success story. Rare as hens teeth round here even 10 years ago and now right up there with sparrows, Robin's and Blackbirds as the commonest birds around at least in Ayrshire.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one and I stay in Ayrshire.  What kind of habitat do they like?