P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

22 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Never got a photo but saw a young crow with a cross bill. I take it they don't live long. They must find it hard to pick up food.

not massively uncommon, as it happens - and it doesn't spell an early death sentence either; it's believed to be an inherited condition, so chances are that herbert will at least live long enough to breed, if not last to a ripe old age (some 'normal' crows can reach 15 !); i didn't realise until recently that bird's beaks 'wear out' at the pointy end with normal use and grow constantly, so if it has to eat in a peculiar manner chances are the deformity will get worse and - because it cannot then preen itself properly - it'll get mite infestations which won't increase its chances of living to any reasonable sort of age

23 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

not massively uncommon, as it happens - and it doesn't spell an early death sentence either; it's believed to be an inherited condition, so chances are that herbert will at least live long enough to breed, if not last to a ripe old age (some 'normal' crows can reach 15 !); i didn't realise until recently that bird's beaks 'wear out' at the pointy end with normal use and grow constantly, so if it has to eat in a peculiar manner chances are the deformity will get worse and - because it cannot then preen itself properly - it'll get mite infestations which won't increase its chances of living to any reasonable sort of age

I never knew that. First time I'e seen one. Looked like there was an old bird looking over it but maybe not, I might have just been putting 2 and 2 together.  I was in a wooded area and they were the only 2 around. 

This wee guy smacked into our front window this morning but seems to be coming round. Thinking it's a juvenile greenfinch?

Will give it a wee while before punting back outside as the resident magpie family are hanging about.

20200603_065722.jpg

We're now getting multiple goldfinches on our sunflower heart feeder. I'd go as far as to say they are now the most common small garden bird I'm getting at the moment. 

We moved house 6 years ago but only went half a mile or so from old place. We used to get loads of greenfinches and siskins in previous garden but not a single one here. 

2020-04-25_09-03-49.jpg

Was a busy day for birds out our back. 

First a young starling came down and stayed for hours picking aphids off the sweet pea. Then a wren stopped by. A wood pigeon some blue tits and a load of sparrows.

There are jackdaws nesting in the neighbours chimneys but anytime they try to land on my bird feeder magpies come out of nowhere and chase them off. p***ks

On 07/06/2020 at 11:39, Fife Saint said:

I've spent a lot of time in the country in my life and last week was the first time I had seen a Tree-creeper!

They're wee buggers to see - they're so well camouflaged sometimes all you'll see is a bit of movement on a tree trunk that helps you zero in on it. I remember sitting at a pub table under a canopy of trees in central Amsterdam when I saw one no more than six or seven feet away from me...thing must have been there the whole time and I hadn't noticed.

Brucie bonus armchair tick when I got home and realised what I'd seen had been a short-toed treecreeper, an almost indistinguishable separate species...the distribution of the common treecreeper we get in the UK  stops short of the Channel for some reason, so any you see in the low countries are stick-ons for short-toed.

been a dull summer so far at ours on the bird front; sat out for a couple of hours yesterday just watching what was on the feeders, and the best i can manage is a delinquent family of starlings who descend en masse and cause a scene, and a whole pile of young blue tits (collectively referred to 'the fledgetits' by someone juvenile); random great tit has gatecrashed the party too

all this activity, for the most part, is observed with malicious intent by the murderous beast from her lair in the fuhrer bunker (have dug out the footings for a new porch that'll be built at some point, which has provided the cover)

image.png.5fde007680425fe475929ac25330d232.png

image.png.c733612b385974c491099afa3dc0a548.png

image.png.3d7abc7d52dd4cbed7fc77d0d80ca61d.png

Edited by Herman Hessian

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Is this some kind of goose? Quite a big b*****d.

1405F84A-0C42-4D46-8DA8-049F0452534F.jpeg

It's got a blue speculum like the rest of them so looks like there's mallard genetics in there - my guess is a feral or escaped domestic duck which are all descended from mallards anyway and generally are a bit bigger with that upright stance. You'll quite often see the odd one in parks that gravitate towards wild mallards...there are a few of them in Maxwell Park in Glasgow for instance just now.

Not too up on them, but I think it might be a breed called the Khaki Campbell.