P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

5 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Any idea on these beauties I saw on the canal on our one prescribed outdoor activity yesterday? Never seen them before but I'd imagine a common enough sort of duck. I day duck but they were huge, more like goose sized

IMG_20200325_173619.jpg

I would say some kind of domestic duck or hybrid. Cayuga ducks are a domestic breed that look similar to these.

1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

I would say some kind of domestic duck or hybrid. Cayuga ducks are a domestic breed that look similar to these.

Cool! That sounds fascinating I'll look it up!

Looked them up and that's defo the one. The gloss on them is beautiful, I was worried they'd been caught in an oil slick at first

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in lockdown at my gfs and sadly both the front and back gardens are not very bird friendly, the back especially with it being a concrete area with high fences that are regularly patrolled by cats.

I did see a Dunnock heartily singing from a hedge on my walk to the shops the other day. An underrated bird I think, I quite like the humble dunnock and it’s song.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Really nice wild looking back garden, does it back onto some actual forest?

There's a lawn up behind those bushes and trees and we've got some flats that back onto the garden now beyond some more trees.  The front and sides of the house have a wood surrounding us.  Good for all sorts of wildlife.  There is owls and woodpeckers in the trees out the front. 

I combined my state-sponsored activity with going birdwatching yesterday up at SWT Cathkin Marsh which is about a four-mile walk each way from where I live. Sedge warblers, skylarks and reed buntings all over the place and very visible - heard water rail and grasshopper warbler but they're elusive fuckers, so didn't actually see them.

6 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Does anyone have any tips for deterring the b*****ding fat c*nt squirrels from eating all the bird food I put out?  I've tried oiling the pole (wayhey!) but they still manage to get up there.

i'd suggest my high-powered wind machine in reverse patented  sucking and mincing* solution as mooted for BFTD's squirrel/fence conundrum, but I suspect it may be a little indiscriminate in the carnage it would wreak

* I'll save anyone else the trouble...

image.png.3bdbf6e0605054fd7de2ba4bf27fc5b7.png

19 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Does anyone have any tips for deterring the b*****ding fat c*nt squirrels from eating all the bird food I put out?  I've tried oiling the pole (wayhey!) but they still manage to get up there.

A baffle on the pole is probably the best way

47 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Smudger.  Wouldn't be many birds left either but there you are 

There used to be a few squirrels around my bit but I haven't seen many since the foxes moved in 

Not the greatest picture, but I spotted one of the owls sitting in the tree at the front of the house.  The woodpecker had been at the birdfeeder just a few minutes before but I couldn't get close enough to get a decent picture with my phone without scaring him off. 

20200506_174634.jpg

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Saw my first whitethroat of the year today, will need to head back and try and get photos another time if it’s still kicking about.

Other summer visitors seen so far include willow warbler, chiffchaff and blackcap.

Saw a blackcap last Friday. On a very pleasant walk a couple of weeks before that, I had my usual confusion between willow warbler and chiffchaff, which remained unresolved. The legs said chiffchaff, the song... didn't.

Here's Friday's blackcap.

BlackcapCropped.thumb.jpg.4e841f7f5d635383a5bdb459764c9fd4.jpg

On 26/03/2020 at 11:36, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Any idea on these beauties I saw on the canal on our one prescribed outdoor activity yesterday? Never seen them before but I'd imagine a common enough sort of duck. I day duck but they were huge, more like goose sized

IMG_20200325_173619.jpg

On 26/03/2020 at 17:15, Rizzo said:

Based on the colour of the bill it looks more like a Cayuga rather than a hybridised mallard which would likely retain the yellow bill.

47 minutes ago, RiG said:

Based on the colour of the bill it looks more like a Cayuga rather than a hybridised mallard which would likely retain the yellow bill.

Thank you, meant to come back to say I'd looked it up and that seemed to be what they were. Some interesting birds around here, we're about a mile from the M25 so there are dozens of red kites kicking about, and there's a park up the road with a wee colony of parakeets!

6 hours ago, sugna said:

Saw a blackcap last Friday. On a very pleasant walk a couple of weeks before that, I had my usual confusion between willow warbler and chiffchaff, which remained unresolved. The legs said chiffchaff, the song... didn't.

Here's Friday's blackcap.

BlackcapCropped.thumb.jpg.4e841f7f5d635383a5bdb459764c9fd4.jpg

The song is definitive. If it wasn't chiff-chaff its a Willow Warbler