P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

I left a large bowl out (actually a gold pan) beside the feeder recently to make a bird bath. Our resident wood pigeon absolutely loves it and sits chilling in the water after having a good clean.

He's not daft either cos the bowl fills up with crumbs from all the sparrows scrapping with each other overhead at the feeder.

20190824_092411.jpg

My other half informs me that we had a headless pigeon in the garden last week. 

Can't see that particular type in the RSPB guide so I have to presume Mrs Sparrowhawk is still in town, hence I finally have a bird around the house that can rip the heed aff it. 

• 1 month later...

been installed in the new house for a couple of weeks now (looks a bit shite from this angle, but time we get some curtains up and the chicken wire off the windows it'll be a bit better), and pissed loads of money away on bird feeders - not a particularly exotic selection so far (long tailed tit about the only marginally interesting visitor) but the sheer volume of birds is amazing - this level of activity goes on all day - it's like those sped-up videos of airports with all the comings and goings...

• 2 months later...

My dog found a young wood pigeon cowering under a car during the school October holidays. Poor thing had an injury of some kind on its neck and I was convinced a vet would euthanise it as the wound stunk quite a bit. He seemed perky otherwise so we decided to do a bit of home rehab.

Fast forward a couple of weeks of him living in our old chicken run, having the wound cleaned with salt water and packed with manuka honey along with some antibiotics he made a full recovery. The wee git is now hanging about and eating all the bloody seed we put out for the other birds.

20191017_104600.jpg

20191110_123432.jpg

On 25/08/2019 at 14:32, The Mantis said:

This is a Spotted Redshank that's been hanging about Musselburgh Lagoons

JB7D5516.thumb.jpg.8ac80e1aac0ddfe36f5beda0edd77099.jpg

On 25/08/2019 at 14:32, The Mantis said:

I caught up with one in September at Baron's Haugh, which was a lifer for me. The Haugh was good to me last autumn and provided another lifer in the shape of Pectoral Sandpiper...another Yank vagrant I eventually saw was a drake Blue-winged Teal which had been hanging about a wee loch outside Milngavie for a few days. I'd walked round the place twice and saw nothing and was standing  there wondering whether to sack it when I sneezed and the thing flew out from a reedbed literally four or five feet away from me...

Fieldcraft at its finest right there.

75371533_2195098190594938_6577349089308966912_n.jpg

Edited by Hillonearth

finally got a halfway decent lens for the camera to take advantage of the ludicrous amount of birds we get in the garden - first look at what was going on out there this morning and rewarded with the appearance of a fieldfare - smart little herbert, loves stuffing the fallen apples...

image.png.507a612521d9e8a264d5ae0d662c61ed.png

image.png.9b7f26b0e7c3b4e887f68733ab4aabea.png

On 24/06/2019 at 19:13, Herman Hessian said:

nothing terribly exciting here, but these two are this year's fledglings and it's been fun watching them working out how to make the most of the various feeders i have hanging up - there's been some abject twattery

image.thumb.png.46123ff78604277d74c5af7087434683.png

and without a shadow of a doubt, absolutely definitely the exact same pair of collared doves have followed me down to the new house and put in appearance...

image.png.766d00ea28d11094f92146337f42fe1a.png

Osprey Watch

Won't be active till around March, but compulsive viewing from the point the female makes her first appearance through to the hatching, the feeding, then the adults and chicks heading south in September/October.  Have been following the progress for a couple of years now.  Fantastic.

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

Osprey Watch
Won't be active till around March, but compulsive viewing from the point the female makes her first appearance through to the hatching, the feeding, then the adults and chicks heading south in September/October.  Have been following the progress for a couple of years now.  Fantastic.
https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

The journey made to/from West Africa is incredible in itself, didn’t ‘Lady’ return for almost 20 consecutive years to Dunkeld and the Loch of the Lowes nesting site?

10 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

The journey made to/from West Africa is incredible in itself, didn’t ‘Lady’ return for almost 20 consecutive years to Dunkeld and the Loch of the Lowes nesting site?

I believe so, but it has only been the last 2 years that i've been following the webcam.  Nature at its best from repairing the nest, laying and protecting the eggs, feeding the chicks to seeing them grow till it's time to head south.

I visited the viewing centre last May after the chicks hatched and plan to do so again this year.  A great day out and worthwhile for photos.

• 5 weeks later...
A bonnie bird. The warm weather seems to have put off a lot of birds, normally through the winter they guzzle bird seed but I've hardly had to replenish stocks at all. The tits are going for the fat balls but otherwise very quiet in the garden. The sparrows and starlings seem to have moved on as well.
Wish I could say the same. About 20 starlings arrive at once every bloody day. There's been some young blue tits as well. One wee one only has one leg [emoji3525]

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

A bonnie bird. The warm weather seems to have put off a lot of birds, normally through the winter they guzzle bird seed but I've hardly had to replenish stocks at all. The tits are going for the fat balls but otherwise very quiet in the garden. The sparrows and starlings seem to have moved on as well.

Similar story here. Hardly any birds. The missus does all that feeder stuff and she cleaned them out the other week and they were full of mould so now she's worried she's poisoned them all😂