P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

46 minutes ago, jakedee said:

New visitor today20190711_131713.jpg

I've recently bought the same bird feeder.

I've put a variety of different food types on it and so far only really seen sparrows or starlings use it.

Went kayaking south of Stonehaven this evening, towards Fowlsheugh. Never seen so many razorbills and gullimots, tens of thousands of the things with a whole bunch of them pelting little more than a metre past my head. Superb. 

Also encountered a group of puffins inside a sea cave. Went paddling past one and it just bobbled away on the water just a couple of metres away from the kayak without issue. Doubt I'll ever get closer to any of these seabirds. Loads of shags too (although they kept their distance a bit more) and a handful of Eider ducks. 

FWIW, also encountered a few seals in the caves, all of which gave that look that simply says "what the f*** are you doing here?" before coming over to the boat for a swim around. Seals, great bunch of lads. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

15 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Meh. Best am getting.

Wanting to get a good bird feeder stand in garden however most I've had previously with the wind usually gets destroyed 20190711_125954.jpg

Try putting a little less fibre in the feeders.

Just had a female Sparrowhawk eating away at something in my back garden before flying off with whatever it was.

Definitely grabs the 'coolest bird to visit my garden' award. 

Crap picture below but was cracking when I got the perv binos out and saw all the fine details (especially the stripes and bright yellow eyes).

SH.PNG.a2275b4147770d6379c99e21e4ff6fa6.PNG

Edited by Hedgecutter

16 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Just had a female Sparrowhawk eating away at something in my back garden before flying off with whatever it was.

Definitely grabs the 'coolest bird to visit my garden' award.

Big b*****d sparrow hawk war circling our garden the other day but was then hounded off by the resident gulls and crows.

Magnificent specimen. Must have been after the sparrow family that lives next door (must be gang of about 20 of them).

57 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Big b*****d sparrow hawk war circling our garden the other day but was then hounded off by the resident gulls and crows.

Magnificent specimen. Must have been after the sparrow family that lives next door (must be gang of about 20 of them).

The great Sparrow Hawk War of 2019

20 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The great Sparrow Hawk War of 2019

My garden occasionally sees gang battles between crows and seagulls who kick the shit out of each other for the right to get the food that's fallen from the bird feeders.

It's actually rather entertaining.

#monthecraws 

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

My garden occasionally sees gang battles between crows and seagulls who kick the shit out of each other for the right to get the food that's fallen from the bird feeders.

It's actually rather entertaining.

#monthecraws 

giphy.gif

Edited by KnightswoodBear

That said, from what Melanius is saying, it gives me joy joy feelings knowing that  even these foes can form an avian coalition in the face of adversity.

Give them the government gig I say.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2019 at 10:16, Hedgecutter said:

Saw an osprey from the car between Dulnain Bridge & Grantown the other day. 

giphy.gif

One of these guys? 

Don't think I've posted this before, apologies if I have. Last May.

1120120227_memb08_killing_machinecopy.thumb.jpg.190f3e1a89af708be9e793fe7718de49.jpg

Edited by The Mantis

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

One of these guys? 

Don't think I've posted this before, apologies if I have. Last May.

Aye, white underside made it pretty easy to spot above the conifers along the Spey.

Magnificent photo btw.  Can't beat a talon through the eye for extra brutality.  Damn, nature. You scary.

Edited by Hedgecutter

11 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Aye, white underside made it pretty easy to spot above the conifers along the Spey.

Magnificent photo btw.  Can't beat a talon through the eye for extra brutality.  Damn, nature. You scary.

Maybe start a brutality thread 😂

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/236443-pb-bird-watch/&do=findComment&comment=12479106

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/236443-pb-bird-watch/&do=findComment&comment=12179866