P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

7 hours ago, sugna said:

Golden plover at Carrbridge. We had read in a birdwatching guide to the area that there would probably be some of these in "the penultimate field before the car park". Incredibly, they were exactly where advertised.

did it appear to be uncharacteristically still, and sort of glassy-eyed by any chance ?

4 hours ago, jakedee said:

Seen this on my garden this morning,stunning little bird20190612_091439.jpg

Get a niger seed feeder! We get loads of these in our garden, they like sunflower hearts and niger seeds.

Edited by Rizzo
Bloody auto correct. What the f**k are biker seeds?

I am by no means a birdwatcher but I spotted a Jay earlier for the first time while out walking my dog. Dont remember ever seeing one before and didnt realise they were so common in Scotland.

I then took my dog to St Ninians cave near Whithorn and watched some Gannets diving just a few yards off shore. Then spotted a very bright yellow little bird on my way home. Not sure what that was though.

Also I was walking along the coast a couple of months ago and was watching, and listening to some very fast bird swooping above me. They were that fast they sounded like a jet flying over. Any idea what these would have been?

20 minutes ago, Qos91 said:

I am by no means a birdwatcher but I spotted a Jay earlier for the first time while out walking my dog. Dont remember ever seeing one before and didnt realise they were so common in Scotland.

I then took my dog to St Ninians cave near Whithorn and watched some Gannets diving just a few yards off shore. Then spotted a very bright yellow little bird on my way home. Not sure what that was though.

Also I was walking along the coast a couple of months ago and was watching, and listening to some very fast bird swooping above me. They were that fast they sounded like a jet flying over. Any idea what these would have been?

They were uncommon in Scotland until fairly recently, but both them and nuthatches have gradually spread north, probably due to the changing climate.

What sort of size & colour?
It was a little while ago now but I think they were a bit smaller than a gull and brown with pointed wings. Was hard to see because they were proper shifting. The most impressive thing was the noise though. My dad thought they were maybe turnstones? Probably should have mentioned they were flying near high cliffs.

Kind of sounds like swifts (nest in cliffs and high buildings, pointy wings, screaming call), though they're a good bit smaller than a gull.
Just looked at some photos. Think you could be right. My knowledge is obviously very limited but the older I get, the more interested I am in birds. Especially round the coast. Dont think people appreciate what we have around here.

43 minutes ago, Qos91 said:
50 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:
Kind of sounds like swifts (nest in cliffs and high buildings, pointy wings, screaming call), though they're a good bit smaller than a gull.

Just looked at some photos. Think you could be right. My knowledge is obviously very limited but the older I get, the more interested I am in birds. Especially round the coast. Dont think people appreciate what we have around here.

Incidentally, I'd be surprised if the bright yellow bird you saw wasn't a yellowhammer.

image.png.e550320f490c22bc470f1dae06bd9138.png

On 6/11/2019 at 19:58, Rizzo said:

Seem to have a pile of woodpeckers visiting our garden just now. Spotted what I assumed was a pair at first but turned out to be two adult males that flew off across the road together. Did wonder why it was always males I was seeing but assumed there was a female nearby looking after young. Weird to see two lads in the garden at the same time (it's not a big garden).

Has there ever been a documented case of homosexual woodpeckers?

20190611_182003.jpg

Some members of many species will exhibit homosexual behaviour - there are the famous pair of gay penguins in a zoo in Australia or New Zealand for example.

Leave it to the notoriously rapey duck family to take it a disturbing step further though....

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2005/mar/08/highereducation.research

nothing terribly exciting here, but these two are this year's fledglings and it's been fun watching them working out how to make the most of the various feeders i have hanging up - there's been some abject twattery

in other news - currently have a swarm of bees thinking about taking up residence in the apex of my gable end (leave it); shall leave it a day or so to see what happens, then get on to the local beekeeping sorts to see if they want to come and fetch them; trouble is, it's an old cottage with tile hung walls over lath and plaster, and if they get inside the gap and decide to stay there's little alternative other than to have them permanently dealt with  😐

image.thumb.png.46123ff78604277d74c5af7087434683.png

• 2 weeks later...