P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

Sorry about the quality of the photo, but saw these wee Ducks down on the river yesterday, the chap nearby explained that they were a hybrid/cross between a Pochard and a Mallard, I think that’s what the translation was anyway?
2ynp82h.jpg

When I first moved in to my current house we used to get lots of House Martins and Swallows nesting on it however a few years ago I got quite a lot of work done and they fucked off.

However they have returned this year and have starting building a lot of nests.

Brilliant birds, fun to watch and they eat lots of annoying insects. 

No sign of any Lapwings yet though, they are probably my favourite.

Also saw this odd looking thing - turns out not is a ruddy shelduck. I think it's considered to be scare in the UK, certainly not native but unlikely to be a visitor from abroad but more an escapee.

DSC_0290.thumb.jpg.93cbc3dade46f12dd4cffe8a7db7fc01.jpg
Very uncommon for these parts. In answer to previous post, I love watching swallows fly about like fighter jets...my local park is full of them....I also love watching swifts but not so keen on the racket they make.

On 5/15/2019 at 08:38, sugna said:

With these and the parakeet, I was about to use my razor-sharp deductive powers to ask if you'd been in Amsterdam. Then  I saw:

"Location: Amsterdam"

- and felt considerably less sharp.

We saw both of those plus a white stork and a great egret in Amsterdam last year. Took a short ferry hop to North Amsterdam, with hired bikes, and got an eyeful of lifer species.

I picked up a lifer smack bang in Amsterdam city centre a few years back - saw a short-toed treecreeper just across the road from Centraal Station.

To be fair I wouldn't initially have known as they're virtually indistinguishable from the regular kind, but basically any treecreeper you'll see along the European side of the channel coast will be short-toed....the common one's distribution stops dead almost along the Dutch and Belgian borders.

007.thumb.JPG.d49c2575b0eb6a7b678be02dd9f85ff0.JPG

I used to like watching this chap from the kitchen window pecking away at the old telegraph pole. 

BT then replaced the pole with a new one, presumably treated against insects, and Woody hasn't come back.  :(

9 hours ago, pittsburgh phil said:
9 hours ago, jamamafegan said:
Also saw this odd looking thing - turns out not is a ruddy shelduck. I think it's considered to be scare in the UK, certainly not native but unlikely to be a visitor from abroad but more an escapee.

DSC_0290.thumb.jpg.93cbc3dade46f12dd4cffe8a7db7fc01.jpg

Very uncommon for these parts. In answer to previous post, I love watching swallows fly about like fighter jets...my local park is full of them....I also love watching swifts but not so keen on the racket they make.

I thought it was just a crow.

Although there are lots of House Martins around my house they have only completed one nest so far.

That’s great news for the lazy sparrow that has just bullied them out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Seem to have a pile of woodpeckers visiting our garden just now. Spotted what I assumed was a pair at first but turned out to be two adult males that flew off across the road together. Did wonder why it was always males I was seeing but assumed there was a female nearby looking after young. Weird to see two lads in the garden at the same time (it's not a big garden).

Has there ever been a documented case of homosexual woodpeckers?

20190611_182003.jpg

19 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Seem to have a pile of woodpeckers visiting our garden just now. Spotted what I assumed was a pair at first but turned out to be two adult males that flew off across the road together. Did wonder why it was always males I was seeing but assumed there was a female nearby looking after young. Weird to see two lads in the garden at the same time (it's not a big garden).

Has there ever been a documented case of homosexual woodpeckers?

20190611_182003.jpg

Not the clearest of pictures but that looks like a juvenile to me. Juveniles have red on the top of the head. Adult males have red on the back of the neck.

Its probably two juveniles in your garden with the parents nearby

15 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Not the clearest of pictures but that looks like a juvenile to me. Juveniles have red on the top of the head. Adult males have red on the back of the neck.

Its probably two juveniles in your garden with the parents nearby

I didn't realise that the juveniles had red on their heads too. 

Golden plover at Carrbridge. We had read in a birdwatching guide to the area that there would probably be some of these in "the penultimate field before the car park". Incredibly, they were exactly where advertised.

5d00df56e3434_118A0556(2).thumb.JPG.3c17b2e62f1385420246094ef9ef0853.JPG

2 hours ago, jakedee said:

Seen this on my garden this morning,stunning little bird20190612_091439.jpg

Have you got a birdfeeder hanging up? Right now is a great time to see loads of different wee birds, chicks have just fledged and are hungry.

They'll empty a feeder in a day just now, mind :lol: