P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

Set up a feeder about 4 weeks ago, and filled it with mealworm, sunflower hearts, peanuts.

It's being absolutely emptied on a daily basis.

So far we have seen dunnocks, sparrows, lots of starlings, coal/blue tits, blackbird, goldfinch (which is a beautiful wee bird) & wood pigeon, collared dove, magpie.

We had a regular garden Robin but have not seen it in a wee while now. No sign of any chaffinch either this year.

I did the RSPB gardenwatch survey last year, kind of forgot about doing it this year though.

A bit of movement at the feeder hanging outside the patio doors caught my eye just as the sun was going down this evening. One of the regular finches I thought, but no, it was this cheeky wee chap. Never seen this before, he sat there stuffing his chops for a good 15 mins. 

The Mrs is convinced we're going to find various parts of him in our slippers in the morning thanks to our resident moggy.

mouse.thumb.jpg.3b9be20a3aee2b038f353d590dc2928d.jpg

8 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

Egyptian geese family day out

With these and the parakeet, I was about to use my razor-sharp deductive powers to ask if you'd been in Amsterdam. Then  I saw:

"Location: Amsterdam"

- and felt considerably less sharp.

We saw both of those plus a white stork and a great egret in Amsterdam last year. Took a short ferry hop to North Amsterdam, with hired bikes, and got an eyeful of lifer species.

On 17/04/2019 at 14:38, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Used to a be a mini murmuration of starlings that hung about our street.  Got up to I would estimate 100 a couple of years back but it seems they've all fucked off somewhere else.   See the odd couple but nothing spectacular.  Coincidental with the appearance of a number of magpies.

I used to stay in the South of Glasgow in the 80s and there was a mumuration of starlings which was enormous: thousands and thousands of them. An absolutely spectacular show right across from my house. They then fucked off to the city centre and hung about the bridges at the Clyde. They've fucked off again ever since. Cracking wee birds.

17 hours ago, Big Rider said:

I used to stay in the South of Glasgow in the 80s and there was a mumuration of starlings which was enormous: thousands and thousands of them. An absolutely spectacular show right across from my house. They then fucked off to the city centre and hung about the bridges at the Clyde. They've fucked off again ever since. Cracking wee birds.

I remember them flying about down by the Clyde when I was a kid.  You never see it anymore.

Not a birdwatcher really, but have taken an interest these last couple of years.

Had feeders out for many years in our old house. Moved 3 years ago to the outskirts of town and now see a greater variety of bird.

The one that started making reasonably frequent visits had me baffled for a while.

Turns out it's a Woodpecker. Took me a while to find out what it was. Asked a local watcher and he confirmed.

Didnt realise we had them here.

9 minutes ago, As Easterly as it gets! said:

Not a birdwatcher really, but have taken an interest these last couple of years.

Had feeders out for many years in our old house. Moved 3 years ago to the outskirts of town and now see a greater variety of bird.

The one that started making reasonably frequent visits had me baffled for a while.

Turns out it's a Woodpecker. Took me a while to find out what it was. Asked a local watcher and he confirmed.

Didnt realise we had them here.

Here's one from Boat of Garten at the weekend. Compensation for the missing ospreys.

(I'm assuming it was one of these that you saw -  a great spotted woodpecker, or "GSW". )

GSW.thumb.JPG.de7f03716e758c3907340e9fef09d046.JPG

7 minutes ago, sugna said:

Here's one from Boat of Garten at the weekend. Compensation for the missing ospreys.

(I'm assuming it was one of these that you saw -  a great spotted woodpecker, or "GSW". )

Nice shot.  I've got one of them that occasionally visits the feeders.  They're timid as f**k though, any sign of movement and they're off like a flash.

1 hour ago, sugna said:

Certainly looks like it. I'm not into photography, so my camera is the holiday snap type so any photo I take is still pretty distant, but through the binoculars this looks like the fella.