P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

4 hours ago, philpy said:

Couple of pics from Whitby harbour. The first one is a "turnstone", the other is possibly a gannet?? 

The common cormorant, or shag*. They lay their eggs inside paper bags, don't you know?

* Not a shag.

21 hours ago, philpy said:

Couple of pics from Whitby harbour. The first one is a "turnstone", the other is possibly a gannet?? FB_IMG_1539426991767.jpgFB_IMG_1539426996757.jpg

You live in Wallyford? My best turnstones and cormorants pics were taken a couple of miles from your hoose;) 

17 hours ago, sugna said:

The common cormorant, or shag*. They lay their eggs inside paper bags, don't you know?

* Not a shag.

Maybe I’m being whooshed here, it’s a cormorant. A shag is sometimes called a green cormorant but is a different species.

You live in Wallyford? My best turnstones and cormorants pics were taken a couple of miles from your hoose[emoji6] 
Haha, the lagoons?? I saw a deer the last time I was down at the nature reserve.

14 minutes ago, philpy said:
37 minutes ago, The Mantis said:
You live in Wallyford? My best turnstones and cormorants pics were taken a couple of miles from your hooseemoji6.png 

Haha, the lagoons?? I saw a deer the last time I was down at the nature reserve.

Aye I go there a fair bit, but Port Seton harbour, you’re guaranteed to see turnstones up on the wall, and maybe a cormorant drying its wings. Here’s a cormorant just up the river at Musselburgh trying to swallow a trout.

BEE6793F-FFF1-40B5-81D7-96C6FB16C452.thumb.jpeg.63c6559c6fa190a10709f4f218c146ba.jpeg

Aye I go there a fair bit, but Port Seton harbour, you’re guaranteed to see turnstones up on the wall, and maybe a cormorant drying its wings. Here’s a cormorant just up the river at Musselburgh trying to swallow a trout.
BEE6793F-FFF1-40B5-81D7-96C6FB16C452.thumb.jpeg.63c6559c6fa190a10709f4f218c146ba.jpeg
Cool. Ever see any otters down by the esk??

1 minute ago, philpy said:
15 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Cool. Ever see any otters down by the esk??

Once. I went upstream from Tesco one morning about 6. But there are local guys who see them all the time even midday. I’ve met at least two guys who carry otter prints just to show them off  :lol: . I’m not local enough.

• 6 months later...

It's been more than 6 months since the last post on this thread but Spring is here now.

This page allows you to track individual cuckoos as they return to the UK.  It's just a pity that there are no Scottish birds being tracked yet.  I've contacted them to see how we'd go about fixing that.

Busy past couple of weeks in the front garden. No cuckoos but the gold finches and green finches are back along with coal and blue tits, wrens, 2 robins, thrush, blackies, sparras and the annoying pigeons and magpies have started hanging about. Also some wagtails have appeared in the garden this year.  Looking for nesting and/or their ends away I suppose.

I'd forgotten about this thread...the absolute bird highlight of this - and probably any - year for me so far was watching an Ivory Gull being released down at Stevenston Point.

They're a high Arctic species that follows pack ice and under normal circumstances wouldn't come any closer to the UK than the north coast of Iceland (and that's in winter!) but this particular one had been caught up in a weather system which deposited it underweight and half dead in a garden in Stranraer of all places. There's only been maybe a hundred ever recorded in the British Isles, for geographical reasons the majority of these being in the Northern Isles with most of those being wandering juveniles rather than the full-grown and fully-white adult we had here, so the chance to see one guaranteed in Ayrshire seemed too good to miss.

Hessilhead Wildlife Rescue down in Beith had taken it in and brought it back to health, and as a result couple of hundred freaks'n'geeks myself included gathered one lunchtime to see it being released...it sat there on the grass looking a bit bewildered for 20-30 seconds, took flight and circled round the point getting its bearings for maybe 10 minutes before heading north, which at least was the right direction...

Here she is emerging from her wee box:

DzJkYKyX0AAx1qy.jpg large.jpg

Used to a be a mini murmuration of starlings that hung about our street.  Got up to I would estimate 100 a couple of years back but it seems they've all fucked off somewhere else.   See the odd couple but nothing spectacular.  Coincidental with the appearance of a number of magpies.

• 3 weeks later...