P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

9 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

Ive been seeing Cormorants quite regularly in Amsterdams vondel park

I've seen cormorants in central Glasgow flying up the Clyde.  I've also seen them on the Kelvin. 

Assume that means there must be fish in there along side the shopping trollies and 1960's gangster skeletons.

This is isn't from my garden but I couldn't resist sharing it because I filmed it yesterday and I'm very proud of it. It's my first attempt at wildlife film. Bit of a slow video but the end is a good watch as he takes off.

That's a cracking clip M8! [emoji106]

We've got loads of these pretty little fuckers hanging about in pairs in our 'hood. I had no idea what they were and just assumed they were parrots but a quick Google search tells me they are rose breasted cockatoos, otherwise known as a galah. Again, I had no idea that the phrase 'ya flamin' galah' referred to a bird. It's probably the fact that I don't know apparently common knowledge facts like this that I'm so shite at the P&B quiz.5896ac79887b5_images(36).jpg.f2964cb85f81bfddfb3f3c7772e335c0.jpg

Site won't let me upload pics from phone so a stock image will have to do I'm afraid.

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

We've got loads of these pretty little fuckers hanging about in pairs in our 'hood. I had no idea what they were and just assumed they were parrots but a quick Google search tells me they are rose breasted cockatoos, otherwise known as a galah. Again, I had no idea that the phrase 'ya flamin' galah' referred to a bird. It's probably the fact that I don't know apparently common knowledge facts like this that I'm so shite at the P&B quiz.5896ac79887b5_images(36).jpg.f2964cb85f81bfddfb3f3c7772e335c0.jpg

Site won't let me upload pics from phone so a stock image will have to do I'm afraid.

We're likely to have our own parrots as garden birds here in Scotland before too long. The ring-necked parakeet is now firmly established in the south east of England after a handful escaped from aviaries in the 1970s. It's spread from the London parks to become common throughout the Home Counties since, and the spread doesn't look to be stopping - it's now regularly reported as far north as the leafier bits of Glasgow, though it doesn't seem to be breeding here yet.

Received wisdom was that the first hard winter they encountered would kill them off, but in their natural range the species reaches into the foothills of the Himalayas where it gets a lot colder than it ever would here, so it's arrived naturally cold-adapted. It basically looks like a big green budgie:

shutterstock_95756083.jpg

Edited by Hillonearth

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

We're likely to have our own parrots as garden birds here in Scotland before too long. The ring-necked parakeet is now firmly established in the south east of England after a handful escaped from aviaries in the 1970s. It's spread from the London parks to become common throughout the Home Counties since, and the spread doesn't look to be stopping - it's now regularly reported as far north as the leafier bits of Glasgow, though it doesn't seem to be breeding here yet.

Received wisdom was that the first hard winter they encountered would kill them off, but in their natural range the species reaches into the foothills of the Himalayas where it gets a lot colder than it ever would here, so it's arrived naturally cold-adapted. It basically looks like a big green budgie:

shutterstock_95756083.jpg

There are loads of these in Amsterdam, noisy wee buggers 

On 30/01/2017 at 18:27, Ya Bezzer! said:

I've seen cormorants in central Glasgow flying up the Clyde.  I've also seen them on the Kelvin. 

Assume that means there must be fish in there along side the shopping trollies and 1960's gangster skeletons.

Seen loads of cormorants and Herons near Braehead. Also a Kingfisher once, I believe there are loads on the Kelvin.

Saw a seal in the Clyde too. Was told a dolphin swam as far up as the squinty bridge although I didn't see it.

Yes there are shoals of fish

29 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

Seen loads of cormorants and Herons near Braehead. Also a Kingfisher once, I believe there are loads on the Kelvin.

Saw a seal in the Clyde too. Was told a dolphin swam as far up as the squinty bridge although I didn't see it.

P&B Marine Life Watch for this pish.

Edited by Dee Man

1 hour ago, WILLIEA said:

Often see 3-4 cormorants hanging around on the pillars of the old railway bridge beneath the Kelvin aqueduct, sometimes with a heron or two. You can see one of the cormorants doing its morning stretches at the bottom of this photo:

Cormorant edited.jpg

Edited by alternative maryhill

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone seen anything exciting of late? I've been hoping for the Waxwings to return to Perth but I haven't seen/heard anything about them. Very sad.

Is there any British species that anyone's really keen to tick off their list? I still haven't seen a Golden Eagle and a Capercaillie. Going to have to make a trip north at some point to see those ones.

Anyone seen anything exciting of late? I've been hoping for the Waxwings to return to Perth but I haven't seen/heard anything about them. Very sad.

Is there any British species that anyone's really keen to tick off their list? I still haven't seen a Golden Eagle and a Capercaillie. Going to have to make a trip north at some point to see those ones.

Up Braemar area is a good place to spot both.

Haven't seen a greenfinch in a long time. They used to flock at the seed feeders in my garden. I know they were struck by some virus a few years back. Does anyone know if they're making a recovery anywhere?

I saw one just the other day, also saw a hawfinch.

There used to be a resident great crested grebe (might still be there) at Townhill Loch in Dunfermline.

7 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

One of the best ways to see Capercaillie is to attend a caper-watch at the RSPB reserve at Loch Garten. Only thing is they start at about 5 in the morning.

Worth it if you can make it though and probably gives you the highest chance of seeing one

One of the best ways to see Capercaillie is to attend a caper-watch at the RSPB reserve at Loch Garten. Only thing is they start at about 5 in the morning.
Worth it if you can make it though and probably gives you the highest chance of seeing one

Thanks for that, will look into it. Getting up early is okay as I want to hear the gurgling mating calls. Dunno if I would prefer to go out and try and get a close encounter myself.