P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

Favourite so far this year has been a Mistle Thrush.

Outwith the garden, a pair of Dippers has been getting its courtship on down on the Water of Leith. Worryingly early. Just next to the steps where we saw dozens of Celtic fans last season taking in the Fusilier at one and and siphoning it off at the other, while their bus stopped on the way to Tynecastle.

Favourite so far this year has been a Mistle Thrush.
Outwith the garden, a pair of Dippers has been getting its courtship on down on the Water of Leith. Worryingly early. Just next to the steps where we saw dozens of Celtic fans last season taking in the Fusilier at one and and siphoning it off at the other, while their bus stopped on the way to Tynecastle.

Bin Dippers!?

There's a lot of tall trees where I live so have a fair number of birds in the garden at any given time of year. The robins are still going around, as are the blackbirds, starlings and various other smaller birds. There's also the odd woodpigeon and magpie cutting about, will try and get some photos while it's dry.

2 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Great time of the year to get some Tits on your Fat Balls!! what's visiting your garden this year!?
I've a wee male Black Redstart that comes for the mealworms!emoji6.png
A proper bonny wee lad!

Well since you ask, RedRobin72, a flock of Long tail tits have been making themselves busy over the past week along with a Tree Creeper that's terrifying the squirrels every time they run into it.

The annual battle for who gets to nest where is about to commence. Smaller birds appear to prefer a well trimmed bush but the larger are more comfortable with one in a natural full state of growth until their babies are ready to leave.

2 minutes ago, WaffenThinMint said:

Well since you ask, RedRobin72, a flock of Long tail tits have been making themselves busy over the past week along with a Tree Creeper that's terrifying the squirrels every time they run into it.

The annual battle for who gets to nest where is about to commence. Smaller birds appear to prefer a well trimmed bush but the larger are more comfortable with one in a natural full state of growth until their babies are ready to leave.

No surprise to see a creeper in your garden.

We've got all sorts of Tits, some massive wood pigeons, a woodpecker of some description (black with white and red on it's head) and a couple of  Tawny Owls, but the most common bird in the garden is Robins.  Fucking hundreds of them.

Unusual to see loads of em at once KB, Robins are very territorial, you need to stick an open faced box up, (North facing if you can) you'll get a pair of em nesting this spring, nae bother, the rest will f*ck aff once they know it's another Robin's digs.

Britain's favourite bird btw BBC/RSPB poll 2014!![emoji846]

1 minute ago, RedRob72 said:

Unusual to see loads of em at once KB, Robins are very territorial, you need to stick an open faced box up, (North facing if you can) you'll get a pair of em nesting this spring, nae bother, the rest will f*ck aff once they know it's another Robin's digs.

Britain's favourite bird btw BBC/RSPB poll 2014!!emoji846.png

I'm WFH today and currently sitting in the kitchen watching 4 of them on the bird feeders.  And a fat b*****d Grey Squirrel that I'm going to throttle if I ever catch it.

1 hour ago, pittsburgh phil said:

There was a heron in my garden last year, that was exciting... quite a formidable, mean looking bugger up close.

C*nt ate all my fish one year when I lived in Dumfries!

Again , in Dumfries have had a Sparrowhawk visit a few times. Those guys are fast as f*ck of the mark from a standing star. They don't mess about!