TV Deal negotiations

I know the be-all and end-all is the amount of money that will be secured but it would be great to think that as part of the negotiations they could clear the way for proper highlights on terrestrial TV on a Sat night again (and by that, I also mean more than a 5 min package per game as well as being able to use the "MOTD" slot). Sky (as I understand it) have had the rights to show a highlights show but done next to f**k-all with it all these years. Obviously BBC (or whoever) would then need to pay for the rights to do so but it would be great to separate them out from the Pay TV deal. 

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As seen by that UEFA survey, the money from TV is a much smaller percentage of clubs' revenue up here, so upping that would be great no doubt. 

Alternatively the TV coverage can be used to maximise the other revenue streams. If the live games, and highlights in particular, look better, they can be seen as advertising for seeing the match live. If you're a casual fan of a middling club like Motherwell and tune into Sportscene, you get two cameras, no slo-mo, no HD, little analysis. It doesn't whet the appetite. If you had the goals flying in from all the angles, with a show which felt more professional, less small-time, you'd be more likely to pop to Fir Park the next week. 

Clubs should be looking into sacrificing a little cash for a better product. These productions cost more to make but surely there would be benefits to the reputation of the league, outwardly, but more importantly to our own lapsed fans. The global appeal of Scottish football should be right at the bottom of the deal. Utterly pointless. 

Absolutely, Swello.  The fact that Sky have kept this (so they can fire it out at 6pm or whatever on their Goals Express show) is a fucking disgrace.

A proper Saturday night highlights show is needed.  I've not actually watched Sportscene at any point this season.  Isn't it something daft with 6pm on a Sunday?

As seen by that UEFA survey, the money from TV is a much smaller percentage of clubs' revenue up here, so upping that would be great no doubt. 
Alternatively the TV coverage can be used to maximise the other revenue streams. If the live games, and highlights in particular, look better, they can be seen as advertising for seeing the match live. If you're a casual fan of a middling club like Motherwell and tune into Sportscene, you get two cameras, no so-mo, no HD, little analysis. It doesn't whet the appetite. If you had the goals flying in from all the angles, with a show which felt more professional, less small-time, you'd be more likely to pop to Fir Park the next week. 
Clubs should be looking into sacrificing a little cash for a better product. These productions cost more to make but surely there would be benefits to the reputation of the league, outwardly, but more importantly to our own lapsed fans. The global appeal of Scottish football should be right at the bottom of the deal. Utterly pointless. 

Kudos for appropriate use of whet

then you're past middle age, bald and fat

I'd imagine there are a fair number of younger guys who went in their youth but are sucked in by the shiny English football. If Scottish football was given similar treatment then there would be a rise in attendances I would imagine.
Either way, we deserve a better highlights programme, and live coverage from Sky.

I still remember how good it was getting 5 minutes of highlights on YouTube a couple of years ago and how pissed it made me when they took it away.

Frankly, I don't know how lucky we'll get. The biggest issue is this is still three years away, so we're stuck with them for now.

I think personally, we've never had less to lose with most of our houses in order and a reliance on fans instead of TV revenue, now would be the time to try a SPFL TV seeing as technology has caught up to the ambitions from 10 years ago. Something similar to a smaller scale of what WWE or MLB do now. Do I think we'd make as much money right away? Probably not, but we would be at least able to put into the hands of people that could really give the attention it deserves, and make it enticing and build the subscription base. Better build ups and after game looks, more coverage of the lower divisions and analysis shows similar to MNF.

I feel like it's got to be worth giving it a shot (even if I'm being incredibly idealistic about what it could be), but it's got to be better than settling for the status quo again.

I still remember how good it was getting 5 minutes of highlights on YouTube a couple of years ago and how pissed it made me when they took it away.
Frankly, I don't know how lucky we'll get. The biggest issue is this is still three years away, so we're stuck with them for now.
I think personally, we've never had less to lose with most of our houses in order and a reliance on fans instead of TV revenue, now would be the time to try a SPFL TV seeing as technology has caught up to the ambitions from 10 years ago. Something similar to a smaller scale of what WWE or MLB do now. Do I think we'd make as much money right away? Probably not, but we would be at least able to put into the hands of people that could really give the attention it deserves, and make it enticing and build the subscription base. Better build ups and after game looks, more coverage of the lower divisions and analysis shows similar to MNF.
I feel like it's got to be worth giving it a shot (even if I'm being incredibly idealistic about what it could be), but it's got to be better than settling for the status quo again.

Completely agree with you here. If there's ever been a time we can take a risk and give it a go then now is that time.

I think compared to 10 years ago, punters are now more likely to pay a subscription for an online tv service. At least for me anyway, ten years ago I wouldn't have went near an online service but now pay for Netflix and WWE Network. WWE is a fantastic service and if the SPFL could do something similar we could make a lot of money from it.

In my head I reckon we could attract at least 250,000 subscribers at around £7.50 a month. That gives you revenue of about £22.5m. Add in ppv options for single games so you can milk the OF games at a higher cost. Maybe I'm being really optimistic but I think we could double/treble our revenue by going it alone.

There's zero chance you'd get 250,000 folk paying that much for Scottish highlights. There's hardly that many folk go to games, and a raft of clubs already have established highlights packages based on subscriptions anyway.

You'd be lucky to reach 50,000 people at a guess.

Best bet would be the Sportscene viewing figures, although I'm told they get inflated.

We should be doing everything (without selling ourselves short of course) we possibly can to get BT to get full rights, their coverage of Scottish football is far superior to anything that Sky currently offer.

Everything about BT's coverage is far better than sky sports.

8 hours ago, Marr1 said:

The Belgium League gets £50.1m per season, from next year the Norweigien Eliteserien gets £39m per season, the SPFL should be looking for a figure North of £40m per season or should tell the TV companies to f**k off and launch SPFL.TV instead

The Belgian Football Association sells the television rights for the Belgian First Division every three years. In 2005, the newly created Belgian TV channel Belgacom TV bought the TV rights for a record amount of €36 million per season. In May 2008, the rights were again sold to Belgacom TV in association with public sector TV channels RTBF and VRT for an amount of €45.7 million per season.[4] RTBF and VRT thus received the rights to show summaries of first division games, as well as rights to a weekly magazine on the competition. Belgacom TV received the rights to show each game in the competition. Premier Sports hold Pro League rights in the United Kingdom.[5]

Taken off Wiki, don't like using it as a source because a lot of the time it's wrong. I don't have a clue about Belgian tv but it seems their version of the BBC ploughed money into it. Our problem is the BBC don't give a fck about our game.

I am kind of swaying to the idea of SPFL tv. Clubs (well Rangers and Celtic) would be in control. You could stream matches from all 4 divisions, I'd rather watch Clyde v Arbroath than Norwich v West Brom or whatever. We'd be hanging on to the coattails of the OF but they are our bigoted cow and we have to milk them for all they are worth.

It depresses me that they'd be having negotiations right now.  There's 3 years left in the current deal.  Media is shifting online consistently.  Why rush in to yet another pishy deal??  

1.  Try and organise the league so it's not a forgone conclusion for the rest of our lives (kinda hard to convince a TV company to pay when everyone knows where the title will end up for forever).

2.  Sort out kick off times so there is some sort of routine for fans (both at the game and watching on TV).

3.  Have a free to air, paid TV and online presence which complements each other.  As an example:  live game (free to air) on a Friday night, live game (AND NOT JUST WHICHEVER OLD FIRM SIDE IS AWAY FROM HOME) on Sky/BT at 5:30 on a Saturday, highlights free to air on a Saturday night.  All 3pm games offered on SPFL TV or - at least - one of them on live whilst full reruns of the other games are shown later.  But something which shows a teeny tiny bit of planning would be most welcome.

There's zero chance you'd get 250,000 folk paying that much for Scottish highlights. There's hardly that many folk go to games, and a raft of clubs already have established highlights packages based on subscriptions anyway.

You'd be lucky to reach 50,000 people at a guess.

Best bet would be the Sportscene viewing figures, although I'm told they get inflated.

I'm not talking about just highlights. I'm talking 2/3 live games per week. A proper highlights show. Other shows that cover everything you could ever think of in terms of Scottish football. Historic matches. Basically an all rounder.

We have a hardcore following of just over 250,000 fans that go to games every second week plus who knows how many lapsed fans/ casual fans.

I reckon 250,000 is a realistic target for subs

1 minute ago, Tartantony said:

I'm not talking about just highlights. I'm talking 2/3 live games per week. A proper highlights show. Other shows that cover everything you could ever think of in terms of Scottish football. Historic matches. Basically an all rounder.

We have a hardcore following of just over 250,000 fans that go to games every second week plus who knows how many lapsed fans/ casual fans.

I reckon 250,000 is a realistic target for subs

Can add on Under 20/Reserve games too.

Even dedicate the channel to a different club one day a week, showing historic matches, player profiles, ex-player interviews ect so it's an incentive to get as many fans from across the divisions to sign up as possible.

Can add on Under 20/Reserve games too.
Even dedicate the channel to a different club one day a week, showing historic matches, player profiles, ex-player interviews ect so it's an incentive to get as many fans from across the divisions to sign up as possible.

Absolutely! So many options that we can decide on ourselves without being told what to do by fucking SKY.

WWE get 1.5m subscribers to watch a bunch of oiled up men fake fighting.

The PDC brings in around £20m a year, (£6m less than us) for a bunch of fat guys throwing darts at a board. Their fans turn up to watch the big screen because they can't see the tiny board.

We are a nation of football lovers, we have 2 big teams with Uk/European/ worldwide appeal, we have Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen who in a few years will all have good stadiums that hold 20,000+ and could possibly give the OF a run for their money. We have countless derby matches that people enjoy. There is so much more.

I refuse to believe that we couldn't make SPFL TV work better than the current situation.

Archived