TV Deal negotiations

Scottish Professional Football League chiefs have started talks to try and secure the game's biggest-ever television deal.

Representatives from a host of Premiership clubs , together with SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster and chairman Ralph Topping, are in London on Thursday to meet with BT Sport.

Current broadcast deals with BT and Sky Sports are set to expire in 2020. Current agreements with the subscription broadcasters, signed two years ago, are believed to be worth around £12.6m a season.

"I am down in London [on Thursday] with all the chairmen and Ralph and Neil to discuss with BT the next deal," Gray told BBC's Sportsound show.

"We are going to meet Sky Sports soon for similar talks. There is a real positive feeling just now about getting the best deal we have ever had.

"Hopefully we can come out with a deal that gives us real true value for the first time in a long, long time."

The previous TV deal signed in 2012 was worth £80m over five years but it was renegotiated after the demise of Rangers.

A record £125m contract over a four-year period with Setanta Sports was signed in 2008, but the broadcaster's UK arm collapsed a year later.

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1378458-spfl-club-chiefs-in-london-to-bid-for-record-new-tv-deal/?utm_content=bufferce6ed&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

64203909.jpg

174388-spl-chief-executive-neil-doncaste

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know the urban legend about Peter Risdale's contract negotiations with Seth Johnson when Leeds were trying to sign him? Doncaster strikes me as exactly the opposite.

"We'll take £7million and not a penny more." As the BT Sport executives offer a blank look, he then adds: "Oh OK then, £5million."

Utter cretin.

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

'...after the demise of Rangers'

Oops. Someone at STV will be getting their jotters today.

Death threat already in the post imo 

The Belgium League gets £50.1m per season, from next year the Norweigien Eliteserien gets £39m per season, the SPFL should be looking for a figure North of £40m per season or should tell the TV companies to f**k off and launch SPFL.TV instead

Can just see it..

BT: We're very interested in your league, and want to put it on the telly for money

ND: Yes it's great now rangers are back

BT: Well yeah, but we like to take an interest in the whole league and talk about every club

ND: Rangers and Celtic you mean

BT: No, all 12 top league teams

ND: 12?

BT: And we'd even like to consider the championship with some of the bigger teams down there

ND: But rangers are back in the premiership

BT: We know that but are interested in Scottish football as a whole

ND: Yeah its much better now rangers are back

In reality, what do you think is the best deal we can get here? It's clear that Sky and BT are paying mental money for the EPL and CL and a lot of subscriptions come from Scotland.

Our best ever deal (Setanta) works out at £31.25m a season so is he suggesting we'll get north of that? Doubling our current deal? I'd love it to be true but I think he might mean best ever deal i.e. £150m over 900 seasons or something like that.

3 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

In reality, what do you think is the best deal we can get here? It's clear that Sky and BT are paying mental money for the EPL and CL and a lot of subscriptions come from Scotland.

Our best ever deal (Setanta) works out at £31.25m a season so is he suggesting we'll get north of that? Doubling our current deal? I'd love it to be true but I think he might mean best ever deal i.e. £150m over 900 seasons or something like that.

In reality they should point out the facts, our viewing figures vs English viewing figs, what comparable leagues get, inflation etc. If they put any decent case across then they should be able to get £35m+ per season

1 minute ago, Marr1 said:

In reality they should point out the facts, our viewing figures vs English viewing figs, what comparable leagues get, inflation etc. If they put any decent case across then they should be able to get £35m+ per season

Aye, these are the important points to get across, we got utterly shafted after Setanta so this should be the deal to sort it out.

Just now, ilostmyself said:

Aye, these are the important points to get across, we got utterly shafted after Setanta so this should be the deal to sort it out.

Importantly, this is the first round of negotiations where the BT have the choice to try and buy the rights outright, which I hope they do.

Just now, Marr1 said:

Importantly, this is the first round of negotiations where the BT have the choice to try and buy the rights outright, which I hope they do.

I agree with you there, their coverage is miles better than Sky's. You get the impression they actually give a f**k about Scottish football. 

If BT bought the rights outright that would be absolutely superb. They genuinely seem to take an interest in all the clubs not just them. 

I'm not sure if it would be possible but it would be ideal if there were some of the big championship games thrown in as well.

We have a great product here with lots of different rivalries and talking points. This should be spelled out to the interested TV companies however we all know this won't happen with the clowns who are in charge at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, jessmagic said:

If BT bought the rights outright that would be absolutely superb. They genuinely seem to take an interest in all the clubs not just them. 

I'm not sure if it would be possible but it would be ideal if there were some of the big championship games thrown in as well.

We have a great product here with lots of different rivalries and talking points. This should be spelled out to the interested TV companies however we all know this won't happen with the clowns who are in charge at the moment. 

jessmagic for Chief Exec of SPFL IMO

Sky's Scottish Football coverage is horrendously bad.

Comes on 15 minutes before kick-off, show team line-ups, quick interview with both managers before 60 seconds of nonsense from Neil McCann.

After the game is done, 60 seconds of nonsense from Neil McCann followed by a quick interview with man of the match and if they're lucky, one of the managers.  

Within 10 minutes of the full time whistle it's, "Coming up next on Sky Sports 3, live Twenty/20 cricket from Bangladesh"

Now that "Rangers are back", have Sky broadcast a game this season which hasn't involved Rangers or Celtic?

I really enjoy BT Sport's coverage.  Despite getting a fair amount of stick (some of it merited) someone like Sutton never puts down our football, and is good for creating a lively debate.  He's good for giving it tight to the English pundits on other shows too.  Derek Rae is also one of the best commentators out there.

It will be 8 Old Firm games a season and revenue split of 45% to Celtic 45% to Sevco and 10% split with the rest.

And they will ask why the game isn't improving and everyone else is being left behind.

Archived