Wheelchair v Buggy

ICTChris

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

The wheelchair user should take priority. However, this seems another case of putting one group who need a bit of help up against another group who need a bit of help.

For me, the issue would be bus companies not providing adequate vehicles for their users. There's possibly not been enough thought about how much space on the ground floor of a bus should be capable of taking wheelchairs and buggies. If you are a parent with two or three young kids in tow, then getting them all on/off the bus, as well as a putting up/taking down a buggy, while possibly also having shopping, is going to be pretty difficult.

Over the years I've seen various stats about the number of disabled people kicking about. There must be a fair few mothers and babies too. This should be adequately taken into account when designing future buses, especially if the bus companies are part funded by government.

That's without really mentioning the increasing elderly population, many of whom will be mobility impaired.

More room for buggies and wheelchairs and buggies on the lower deck. More seats for elderly on the lower deck.

Solution. All able bodied c***s get the f**k upstairs.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

I'm going to take a guess and say that 95% of the time that wheelchair space doesn't have a wheelchair in it. Is it too much to ask that on the rare occasions when it's needed, it should be used as it was intended to be used? 

Baby buggies used to be lightweight things that opened with one hand and folded down into something the size of a small bag - that's because they were designed for public transport. Even the double ones weren't much bigger. 

buggy1.pngbuggy2.png

£35, job done.

If said mum doesn't have bags.

As a frequent user of Dundee buses I can envisage a couple of potential problems with this outcome. Most drivers don't see it in their job remit to return your "Good Morning" when you alight their bus, so asking them to intervene in a wheelchair v buggy dispute might be a tall order. Also some of these buggy drehvers are not to be messed with... 

Travel Dundee/First/Shiteheap buses and their drivers are fucking terrible.

Say all you want about Stagecoach but their bus service in Dundee is pretty phenomenal.

2 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Cant they make a wheelchair that folds up?

The guy who couldn't get on the bus offered to fold up his chair and use a normal seat but the bus driver refused saying there was nowhere safe to stow it as the road was winding. 

Archived