Hard Brexit: Relation to Scottish Independence.

John Lambies Doos

36 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

I keep hearing tv and newspaper commentators in the press going on about how UK trade is so much more important to Scotland than the EU.

Does anyone know if this inter UK trade is quantifiable? How do we put a figure on stuff getting exported from Scotland to the UK market? Is it possible that goods "exported" to the UK are then being in turn exported by the UK to other countries? Be interesting to know the details.

Also, how important is Scotland to rUK trade? I am sure we must make up a good share of rUK exports, but again, I wonder if there are numbers.

Usually by the same people who claim that the UK will still trade freely with the EU (and thus a Scotland that is part of the EU) after Brexit. Utterly contradictory nonsense from the British nationalists.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 19/01/2017 at 21:23, Crùbag said:

The EU don't rule any countries. All EU nations from Finland w/ the Euro to Poland w/o the Euro are independent but have chosen - through elected representatives to pool and share where desired. That's why Spanish healthcare is different from that in Germany. Or Czech education is different to Finnish. Or Danish renewables different to Italian.

We're already a miniscule partner in a larger 'union'. Every one of Scotland's MPs could be SNP and they'd always be overruled by Englands 600. That's not an equal union.

True, however, it's about the direction of travel and the EU is moving towards ever closer integration and power is being centralised. Don't kid yourself that because EU countries are 'independent' that the EU doesn't wield incredible powers over member states and can be extremely punitative if the will of Brussels is thwarted.

Your argument re MP's in Westminster is premised on the belief that the 600 rUK MP's are always looking to f*ck Scotland over.. That patently isn't the case although the SNP Mp's would happily f*ck rUK over, pity for them  they're like a barking dog with no teeth or baws.

1 hour ago, git-intae-thum said:

I keep hearing tv and newspaper commentators in the press going on about how UK trade is so much more important to Scotland than the EU.

Does anyone know if this inter UK trade is quantifiable? How do we put a figure on stuff getting exported from Scotland to the UK market? Is it possible that goods "exported" to the UK are then being in turn exported by the UK to other countries? Be interesting to know the details.

Also, how important is Scotland to rUK trade? I am sure we must make up a good share of rUK exports, but again, I wonder if there are numbers.

It's difficult to quantify because, as I said previously, trade between Scotland and rUK does not have to be reported as such because it's an internal market.

If you think Oil, Whiskey , agriculture just for starters you can guess it's a lot of trade.

Trade will never stop twixt the twa , it just might become a bit more problematical. Good opportunities for Southern Scotland, you would think.

It's difficult to quantify because, as I said previously, trade between Scotland and rUK does not have to be reported as such because it's an internal market.

To make matters more awkward

Similar difficulties face statisticians attempting to measure trade between members of the EU because it forms a single market.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Similar difficulties face statisticians attempting to measure trade between members of the EU because it forms a single market.

Well we can establish that there is no quantifiable measurement. Politicians and press commentators creating scenarios to suit an agenda. Who would have thought that.

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Given the lack of hardcore data it's probably easier to think of it as the EU members carrying on trade as normal with 26 countries and having risky problems with one, and the UK having risky problems with 27. Which side of the negotiating table would you rather be on? And where would you rather invest capital before all the dealings are done? Rhetorical questions to you probably btw.

Well we can establish that there is no quantifiable measurement. Politicians and press commentators creating scenarios to suit an agenda. Who would have thought that.

I said it was difficult, not impossible

It's more complex still when you have multinationals distributing production over different sites in different countries.

Just as retail price inflation figures are not rendered meaningless because they don't count every single price these trade numbers are still going to be based on reality.

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I said it was difficult, not impossible

It's more complex still when you have multinationals distributing production over different sites in different countries.

Just as retail price inflation figures are not rendered meaningless because they don't count every single price these trade numbers are still going to be based on reality.

Further complicated by Scottish goods "exported" to the rUK prior to being shipped onwards to EU/ international destinations. One wonders how any claims can be made.

The British media sicken me. During the independence referendum it was all about the EU.. EU good... now it's all EU bad because it suits the unionist agenda. Arseholes

That's some amount of supposition there, what is the 'Unionist agenda'? I'd counter that most of us wanted to remain.

Further complicated by Scottish goods "exported" to the rUK prior to being shipped onwards to EU/ international destinations. One wonders how any claims can be made.

If it comes to it then there will probably be a few different sets of figures available and they'll all be asked to show their working

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If it comes to it then there will probably be a few different sets of figures available and they'll all be asked to show their working

The only certainty is that the true figures will be better for Scotland than any that are published.

16 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

That's some amount of supposition there, what is the 'Unionist agenda'? I'd counter that most of us wanted to remain.

And now are insistent we leave along with England and Wales. Because you actively don't want Scotland's voice to be listened to.

I wonder if there are any other European nations whose EU membership is contingent on what their neighbouring country decides. I'm sure most would scoff at he absolute nutbaggery and serfdom of that.

Archived