Do you have a degree?

DA Baracus

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I got a PHD too - a pimpin ho's degree. 

Is that the new Facebook version of having a Pretty Huge...Dissertation to write?

I have a degree in electronics from DeVry University, which I think is the American equivalent of the English polytechnics that upgraded. Very interesting subject, but I've never used it, and could no more explain imaginary numbers or calculate the impedance of a circuit than fly to the moon these days. And I never did work out how to solder to any decent level.

I can beat that St Andrews printout though - they gave us a credit card sized version of our diplomas for some reason  :lol:

47 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I have a post graduate degree (MBA) but not an undergraduate one.

I presume you mean an ordinary business degree as the undergraduate one.?

I got my MBA from Strathclyde Graduate Business School but my first degree from Glasgow was in a totally unrelated subject.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Is that the new Facebook version of having a Pretty Huge...Dissertation to write?

I have a degree in electronics from DeVry University, which I think is the American equivalent of the English polytechnics that upgraded. Very interesting subject, but I've never used it, and could no more explain imaginary numbers or calculate the impedance of a circuit than fly to the moon these days. And I never did work out how to solder to any decent level.

I can beat that St Andrews printout though - they gave us a credit card sized version of our diplomas for some reason  :lol:

I have a fuzzy recollection that the PhD quote is from hip hop mockumentary CB4. 

I occasionally see my old tutors pop up on BBC beardy documentaries and one of my former classmates was in the Record for molesting a policewoman. 

28 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

Are you outstanding in your field? Think I know what you work as, if so emoji6.png

I green dotted that cause I thought you were making a pun, but now I think you were serious :(

I have a BSc(Hons) in Logisitcs. Never worked in logistics since I graduated but, as others have said, most of the jobs Ive had since have required a degree in something.

I green dotted that cause I thought you were making a pun, but now I think you were serious [emoji20]
I have a BSc(Hons) in Logisitcs. Never worked in logistics since I graduated but, as others have said, most of the jobs Ive had since have required a degree in something.

It was indeed a pun, fear not Mr X.
Ps, f**k you Ross. Scarecrow c**t.

7 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I have a fuzzy recollection that the PhD quote is from hip hop mockumentary CB4. 

Further research indicates that the phrase may have originated in the peer-reviewed journal 'Pimps Up, Ho's Down', a quality reference material for the young man looking for the correct methodology when pimping one's ho's.

...but I'm more than willing to watch CB4 again to corroborate  :D

1 hour ago, Tynieness said:

I have a fairly useless History one from Stirling and a completely worthless Nursing one from Napier.  The nursing one as Lisa Cuddy alluded to was a con and was completed ten years after the diploma, prior to being forced to eventually do one

I was looking at jobs the other day and they now want Masters level. A masters in Nursing, f**k that the boredom would kill me

It would if it was anything like the one I was doing. If I could find one which was purely clinical it'd be great- the annoying thing is, the MSC that I started out on was brilliant then turned to crap with stuff that was irrelivant to me as a nurse. I was just about packing razor blades in my bag to help me get through the tutorials :lol:

Mind you, my boss has told me I need to be "a corporate animal" these days in the NHS. If I wanted to be that I'd have done an MBA.

52 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

^^^Never gets lost, but would know what to do if he did.

Unsurprisingly no degree, but I did Highers when they were hard. Didn't pass many, mind you. When I left school it really was a tiny, clever minority that went to Further Education. There wasn't the same level of expectation. I did get invited to a trip round Glasgow Uni, but loads of us did and I just slipped away to the record shops.

Same for me. As it happened, I eventually ended up with enough Highers to have got to University, but opted for a Diploma in Quantity Surveying at a polytechnic. Well, it seemed a good idea at the time.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Same for me. As it happened, I eventually ended up with enough Highers to have got to University, but opted for a Diploma in Quantity Surveying at a polytechnic. Well, it seemed a good idea at the time.

Polytechnic indeed. School and I parted company half way through 5th year. Her Majesty needed people to send out giros. She foolishly sent me to a couple of years day release. Most of which I spent in the Galleria bar in Coatbridge, it was nearest the tech. The rest is history, without any degree attached.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Polytechnic indeed. School and I parted company half way through 5th year. Her Majesty needed people to send out giros. She foolishly sent me to a couple of years day release. Most of which I spent in the Galleria bar in Coatbridge, it was nearest the tech. The rest is history, without any degree attached.

I toyed with the idea of joining the Civil service when I was 16. My best mate at the time did join - I think he ended up in Southampton to start with, before coming back to Scotland. Mind you, I haven't seen him since his wedding, so I don't know if he's now living it up on a Civil service "gold plated" pension. or even if he's still married.

38 minutes ago, WILLIEA said:

I presume you mean an ordinary business degree as the undergraduate one.?

I got my MBA from Strathclyde Graduate Business School but my first degree from Glasgow was in a totally unrelated subject.

No I don't have any undergraduate degree.  I was accepted on to the MBA course as I apparently had 'real life experience'!  I did a concurrent postgraduate diploma in marketing at the same time as by MBA.

Archived