Do you have a degree?

DA Baracus

A thread to ascertain if someone has managed to get a degree. Hopefully this will include a few surprised in the form of some posters considered a bit thick announcing that they have 2 or something.

I'm also hoping for arguments and petty squabbling over the merits of degrees and people attempting to claim intellectual superiority over other posters.

I'll kick off; I do not have a degree. In fact I only have my highers, which pretty much means I have zero qualifications. I did (somehow) get in to 3rd year at uni, but that was when I was absolutely destroyed in the mind and had no fucking clue what I was doing most of the time. This included having to repeat first year and doing year 3 twice. I also did a year at Abertay in 2002, leading absolutely nowhere.

I wish I did have a degree, as it would make being able to get a job far easier.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a degree. It's now mandatory to have one to qualify as a nurse, the diploma isn't good enough anymore apparently. I've no idea why, a lot of more experienced nurses have the diploma and are brilliant. I think it's all a bit of a con and is designed to make nurses take on a more advanced role, responsibility and accountability for the same salary. 

4 minutes ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

I think it's all a bit of a con and is designed to make nurses take on a more advanced role, responsibility and accountability for the same salary. 

You didn't need a degree to work that one out?

I've got two, one from Glasgow Uni and one from SGBS 

Journalism degree from Glasgow Caledonian, which was a complete waste of time, first year that the course had ever been run and there more than a few flawed things in it. Currently half way through 4th year of a Politics and International Relations degree at Aberdeen Uni which has been great thus far.

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

6 Highers (all A or B) and one of these..

IMG_1282.JPG

Looks like it was printed off on cheap A4. 

My Glasgow Uni degree is on parchment and written in Latin.  VNIVERSITATIS GLASGVENSIS SENATVS.

5 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

My Glasgow Uni degree is on parchment and written in Latin.  VNIVERSITATIS GLASGVENSIS SENATVS.

I'll have you know that The University of St Andrews has been churning these out using the same Canon Pixma Pro since the 15th Century. 

Mine too, goat skin parchment no less. A friend of mine who is veggie had to specifically request a paper one instead.

My wife got her first degree from Edinburgh and that's on A4 paper, but they had the option of paying more for a fancy parchment one, which she decided not to do as apparently it was fairly expensive.

BA (Hons) in Politics from University of Stirling, 2:1.  I wrote my dissertation on a comparison of the committee systems in the Welsh Assembly and Scottish Parliament.  It was fucking chronic and probably cost me a first but the rest of the course was good, really interesting.

I've never used my degree in any job and I doubt I ever will.  I wouldn't change it though and am still interested in learning, although I focus on practical things.  I am doing a course in coding over the next few months and am going to do a few more things through the year.

41 minutes ago, Lisa Cuddy said:

I have a degree. It's now mandatory to have one to qualify as a nurse, the diploma isn't good enough anymore apparently. I've no idea why, a lot of more experienced nurses have the diploma and are brilliant. I think it's all a bit of a con and is designed to make nurses take on a more advanced role, responsibility and accountability for the same salary. 

Same here, did the diploma in order to qualify but then did a Nursing degree almost straight after to enhance my knowledge. I did start a Masters in Personality Disorder a few years ago but sacked it in the second year as it moved away from clinical modules to philosophy etc which was not enjoyable so I received a PG Cert for that.

Agree with what Lisa says- lots of good nurses 'cut off' from certain roles now, who are more than capable but don't have the degree. Same happened to Enrolled Nurses back in the day.

Archived