A fully integrated pyramid system - Proposal

edinabear

1 hour ago, Cornishman said:

This is a fine effort but alongside other commenters, I think that the B-team/Colts inclusion should be canned.

A major problem I perceive with the Pyramid idea is that it's all fine and well providing promotion opportunities, but what one is being promoted into must be an attractive proposition in the first place... and personally, I don't think the SPFL structure is all that attractive.

Barely more than half of clubs in the SPFL appear capable of sustaining full-time professionalism and it's my contention that maybe the SPFL should 'trim' itself down and concentrate these into two nationwide divisions of say 12 Premier & 18 Division 1 clubs - allowing some space here for the stronger semi-professionals.

The remaining dozen clubs would be embraced into the current HL/LL tier of 2x 18 clubs, with ten dropping from this level into the first properly non-league tier which would be formed from the backbone of the present SJFL topmost divisions, topped-up by a few EoSL clubs.

In the interests of both league strength parity and footprint hinterland equality, I'd reset the borderline between North Region and the others to the determinant of travel proximity to either Perth/Dundee on one hand and Stirling/Queensferry on the other (which would also apply to the HL/LL tier above). This would add about 15/16 clubs to the North, while the East Region would partially mitigate its loss in numbers from the West Region.

The SoSL, North Caledonian League and lower EoSL clubs would be absorbed at appropriate tiers in the remaining SJFL set up.

Professionalism v non-professionalism is a red herring. It's obvious that part-time clubs can successfully compete nationwide in Scotland. Why would clubs like Arbroath, Stranraer and Stenhousmuir want to step into regional divisions? We don't live in a big country, the mythical wet Tuesday night in Elgin happens once in a blue moon.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived