Romeo

• 2 weeks later...
Well thoughts on Berlin were it Is a huge city with some excellent but sombering places to see,it was bloody expensive for drink and the graffiti spoils a lot of it.
Would I go back?Probably not.

Dunno where you were drinking as everywhere I went was alright for drink prices.

52 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:

Dunno where you were drinking as everywhere I went was alright for drink prices.

Agreed. Most of are bars around Boxhagener Platz were around 3.50 for a beer last time I was there.  Cheaper than I'm used to paying over here. Some of the places around Hackescher Markt were around 7 euros. Looks like Keith didn't travel off the beaten track...

3 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Agreed. Most of are bars around Boxhagener Platz were around 3.50 for a beer last time I was there.  Cheaper than I'm used to paying over here. Some of the places around Hackescher Markt were around 7 euros. Looks like Keith didn't travel off the beaten track...

We spent most of our time around AlexandraPlatz,most beers were about 4.80 but paid 14.30 for a pint and a G&T on Hackescher Markt.

2 hours ago, keithgy said:

We spent most of our time around AlexandraPlatz,most beers were about 4.80 but paid 14.30 for a pint and a G&T on Hackescher Markt.

I was there only a couple of years ago and didn't find it THAT expensive and we stayed in the Park Inn in Alexanderplatz.

Did you enjoy the walking tour I recommended to you?

Just now, Highland Capital said:

I don't know how anyone could go to Berlin and not like it.

It's a tremendous city. It's also very sobering in it's history and the shit that went down under your feet - sometimes literally.

The moment of standing in a nondescript city centre car park and block of flats and being told that we were in fact standing 40 ft above the Furherbunker was a bit mind blowing - you thought more would be made of such a site until the explanation that of course there is no memorial or marker as a memorial brings a whole new wave of issues.

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

It's a tremendous city. It's also very sobering in it's history and the shit that went down under your feet - sometimes literally.

The moment of standing in a nondescript city centre car park and block of flats and being told that we were in fact standing 40 ft above the Furherbunker was a bit mind blowing - you thought more would be made of such a site until the explanation that of course there is no memorial or marker as a memorial brings a whole new wave of issues.

I saw the car park.  I thought it was strange but very clever, that they don't promote where the bunker was (aside from the information sign) yet it's silently referred by the building of the Jewish memorial just down the street.

I was there for four days last year and I could've gone for two weeks and not seen everything I'd wanted to.

24 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I saw the car park.  I thought it was strange but very clever, that they don't promote where the bunker was (aside from the information sign) yet it's silently referred by the building of the Jewish memorial just down the street.

I was there for four days last year and I could've gone for two weeks and not seen everything I'd wanted to.

Yeah mate. I'm the same, you only really scratch the surface when you're there for a few days.

As for cheap bevy. Last time I was there we were running out of money on the last day but found a bookies in Freidrichshain that sold half litres of draught beer for 2.50. So we had a couple of rounds in there. Hardly glamourous but needs must. :guinness

11 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

Going to Berlin and spending a majority of time around Alexandraplatz is a great way not to really see the city.

Our hotel was near there last time (our 1st time there) We did get out & about but if you've been a few times where abouts would you recommend staying next time? Broad question I know! Nearby tram/train/etc would be ideal, as would decent cafes and bars, with a hefty preference for live music. Cheers

Our hotel was near there last time (our 1st time there) We did get out & about but if you've been a few times where abouts would you recommend staying next time? Broad question I know! Nearby tram/train/etc would be ideal, as would decent cafes and bars, with a hefty preference for live music. Cheers
Kreuzburg or Freidrichschain. Basically the most jumping bits of the city. Bit hipster for some but best boozers and best scran I had was in that neck of the woods.

21 minutes ago, mrcat1990 said:
50 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Kreuzburg or Freidrichschain. Basically the most jumping bits of the city. Bit hipster for some but best boozers and best scran I had was in that neck of the woods.

Last time I was there i stayed at the Hotel Friedrichshain on Warschauer Street. It was fairly cheap, close to a railway station, surrounded by good bars and restaurants and very easy to get to from Schonefeld airport.