Romeo

Booked flights to go in August and currently searching for places to stay. Know Airbnb was supposedly made illegal in the city but still seeing loads of ads for places to rent via it. Anyone gone and used Airbnb without issue?

• 2 months later...

This time next week I'll be in Berlin and I can't wait. I've been before with my other half two years ago but this time it's for my mate's stag - 8 of us going.

I've got a few things planned and know the city reasonably well, but wondered if anyone could share any experiences (positives and negatives) of Berlin for a group of  males?  None of us are going to be done up in mankinis or anything (at the moment anyway) so we'll not draw too much attention to ourselves, but wondered if anyone had any tips or ideas I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance. 

On 28/04/2018 at 17:06, paranoid android said:

Off to Berlin in a few weeks - any hints. plz?

Do you live in Edinburgh? I know a lot about the city and have a map I've annotated pointing out the less touristy aspects that I enjoy at least and have lent it to others. You're welcome to borrow it if I can find it. 

22 hours ago, fraser_smfc said:

This time next week I'll be in Berlin and I can't wait. I've been before with my other half two years ago but this time it's for my mate's stag - 8 of us going.

I've got a few things planned and know the city reasonably well, but wondered if anyone could share any experiences (positives and negatives) of Berlin for a group of  males?  None of us are going to be done up in mankinis or anything (at the moment anyway) so we'll not draw too much attention to ourselves, but wondered if anyone had any tips or ideas I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance. 

Like any good city it won't go down too well in the better places. Won't be a problem depending on what you and your mates are looking for. 

46 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Do you live in Edinburgh? I know a lot about the city and have a map I've annotated pointing out the less touristy aspects that I enjoy at least and have lent it to others. You're welcome to borrow it if I can find it. 

Live in Midlothian, mate - someone has to. ;)

33 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

Live in Midlothian, mate - someone has to. ;)

I'm on my phone but knew you were a jambo so didn't think you'd be too far away. :) Kreuzberg, Neukoln, Friedrichshein are the best areas, go for a walk around there including the side streets you should like it, think I've seen you posting about good music on here before. Those areas have a lot of character. 

Next best is Mitte and Prenzlaur Berg but they're extremely gentrified compared to 10 years ago. Even more than the ones above. 

Wouldn't bother with the west personally but it does seem to be popular on here. 

1 hour ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I'm on my phone but knew you were a jambo so didn't think you'd be too far away. :) Kreuzberg, Neukoln, Friedrichshein are the best areas, go for a walk around there including the side streets you should like it, think I've seen you posting about good music on here before. Those areas have a lot of character. 

Next best is Mitte and Prenzlaur Berg but they're extremely gentrified compared to 10 years ago. Even more than the ones above. 

Wouldn't bother with the west personally but it does seem to be popular on here. 

Cheers for that Kev - apparently there's a Bowie tour: https://musictours-berlin.de/de/

Going to Berlin next month for 4 nights. I’ve been before, but this time I’m going with the other half who has never been. I was thinking it might be nice to have some sort of day trip outside of Berlin. To make it worthwhile though ideally it wouldn’t be any more than roughly an hour on the train each way. Any suggestions?

14 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Going to Berlin next month for 4 nights. I’ve been before, but this time I’m going with the other half who has never been. I was thinking it might be nice to have some sort of day trip outside of Berlin. To make it worthwhile though ideally it wouldn’t be any more than roughly an hour on the train each way. Any suggestions?

Potsdam's supposed to be nice, haven't been. Only half an hour by fast train, a bit longer but more convenient by S-Bahn, the local network.

12 hours ago, Sooky said:

Cheers lads, I’ll look into that! Especially if the ticket price is included.

If you're going to be travelling around the city much it could be worth getting one of these passes. Pay a wee bit more and you get into museums too. Probably won't save you much if anything, but it avoids the hassle of figuring out what tickets to buy

https://buchen.visitberlin.de/berlin-de-voucher/offer?lang=en&reset=1

https://www.berlin-welcomecard.de/en/article/frequently-asked-questions-about-berlin-welcomecard-all-inclusive

Edited by welshbairn