Romeo

The TV Tower is a fine morning, and you can get a breakfast at the top while you're there. Book in advance tho. 

The Olympic Stadium is also well worth the effort, and if you're going, go on the organised tour. 

The Museum of Terror could be the most frightening few hours of your year. But it's free. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Heading in May. Staying in a hotel right next to the DDR museum so will be doing that, fancy the topography of terror as well but any other suggestions other than what's listed above?

Not sure the missus would be up for the football although I notice Hertha are at home to Leipzig that weekend.

Any decent pub / food recommendations?

15 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Heading in May. Staying in a hotel right next to the DDR museum so will be doing that, fancy the topography of terror as well but any other suggestions other than what's listed above?

Not sure the missus would be up for the football although I notice Hertha are at home to Leipzig that weekend.

Any decent pub / food recommendations?

I was in Berlin at the start of the month.  I really enjoyed the DDR Museum as the Cold War has always interested me.

A couple of places that we ate in that area were http://brauhaus-georgbraeu.de/en/ and http://www.hofbraeu-wirtshaus.de/berlin/ 

I didn't like the sound of sauerkraut but once I tried some of it I really enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back. What a city- very friendly people and very easy to navigate around.

Topography of terror was pretty deep but well worth seeing, stumbled upon the fuhrerbunker almost by accident as we wandered towards potsdamerplatz from the alt berliner wirsthaus.

Went to the hofbrau haus as recommended, good food, a live band and maibock by the stein. Went to Die Berliner Republik for lunch/football on Saturday. Didn't stay too late but I can imagine on a busy night that beer stock exchange idea must be pretty mental.

Hotel was up near Alexanderplatz so on our wanders we found a great pub the Lemke brauhaus - think there is a few of them right enough, seems to be a brewdog type set up. Another bar worth a visit was The Pub. Possibly one of the nicest burgers I've ever eaten and the pour your own beer is a good laugh. Again, a very novel idea....not sure it would work here right enough.

Did you visit Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain or Neukoln?

No idea...we ventured down between Alexanderplatz to the tier garten and from the other side of the bank of the spree on friedrichstrasse to potsdamer platz and pretty much everywhere in between. What districts they are I couldn't tell you- other than what wr saw from the tour bus/boat

The area around Eberswalder Strase subway just along the road to the east of Mauer is decent for bars/food.  Would recommend Friedrichshian, Kreuzberg and Neukoln over Prenzlauer and Mitte tbh although those areas are still better than those in the centre/west imo.

Went to Berlin in November, a group of 9 of us and had a grand time. Well apart from the Union Berlin Ultras telling us to f**k off and leave before their game ever started.

Travelled on a Friday evening, got the train in from the airport, costs about £3, possibly less. Some bloke decided not to pay and was fined around £100 on the spot. Couldn't understand why he just wouldn't pay the fare given how bloody cheap it was.

Stayed right beside the central station in the Meininger hotel. Very basic, but does the job. Cheap bar inside, bratwurst stall outside.

Saturday we did all the touristy bits, Reichstag/Brandenburg Gate/Holocaust Memorial (close to this there is a Borussia Dortmund supporters bar oddly).

Sunday we were off to watch Union Berlin v Stuttgart, now it is important to mention have two main entrances for their Stadion An der Alten Försterei ground. DO NOT, like us go to the entrance with all the Ultras. It is easy to tell this entrance as they have a little club house thing, if you see that, just keep walking round. There is a little canal type thing that they all stood close to, having a drink, we just walked by speaking away in our group. We got outside the entrance and took some photos before some boy no older than 18 came over and asked where we were from and who we supported. Now as there was 9 of us, and we all supported different sides, one of our lot said "England, West Ham". The boy just said "ok" and walked off. Put us on edge a bit, so we decided to move off, and stand somewhere else. Within a few minutes their ultras started coming through a small gate, around 40/50 of them, we thought we would move out their way, unfortunately they kept walking in our direction. What I can only assume to be their leader walked over and started screaming in German at one of our unfortunate members, he just kept saying "no, no, no" as he has no idea what this bloke was saying. Eventually he started speaking in English and asked who we supported, we tried to explain we all supported different sides, but most of us were from England. That was enough for him, he told us in no uncertain terms to leave, and that we were not allowed to come in. So we thought there was no chance of risking it, and walked back to get a tram, on walking back we looked over our shoulder and found that they were following us. We hopped on the tram and they stood at the doors to make sure we couldn't get off. Eventually the tram started to move, before we realised we had no idea where it was going, so hopped off outside a hotel and got some cabs back to Berlin train station (about £25).

We watched the game in the pre mentioned Dortmund supporters bar and willed Stuttgart on to victory (they drew 1-1). The guy who sorted our tickets told us afterwards that their ultras are sick of being perceived as a family club, and now want to create bit of a reputation for themselves. In all fairness they could of given us a swift beating, but just made sure we didn't come in. So that was nice.

Incidentally the Sunday became the best day, instead of moping about, and being angry, we took the time to go round Checkpoint Charlie, see some of the wall, and ended up in the Lemke brauhaus , which someone else mentioned. It was absolutely quality.

Would definitely go back with the Mrs, felt we missed out on quite a bit, but that will always happen when with a big group. We had a couple cab journeys and found on asking the driver on their memories of the East/West split, and almost all of their reaction to being asked was quite cagey. One told us he was embarrassed and didn't like to talk about it. Would definitely like to find out a bit more about it, very interesting.

PS Union Berlin look to have shat promotion to the top tier of German football :)

7 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Sunday we were off to watch Union Berlin v Stuttgart, now it is important to mention have two main entrances for their Stadion An der Alten Försterei ground. DO NOT, like us go to the entrance with all the Ultras. It is easy to tell this entrance as they have a little club house thing, if you see that, just keep walking round. There is a little canal type thing that they all stood close to, having a drink, we just walked by speaking away in our group. We got outside the entrance and took some photos before some boy no older than 18 came over and asked where we were from and who we supported. Now as there was 9 of us, and we all supported different sides, one of our lot said "England, West Ham". The boy just said "ok" and walked off. Put us on edge a bit, so we decided to move off, and stand somewhere else. Within a few minutes their ultras started coming through a small gate, around 40/50 of them, we thought we would move out their way, unfortunately they kept walking in our direction. What I can only assume to be their leader walked over and started screaming in German at one of our unfortunate members, he just kept saying "no, no, no" as he has no idea what this bloke was saying. Eventually he started speaking in English and asked who we supported, we tried to explain we all supported different sides, but most of us were from England. That was enough for him, he told us in no uncertain terms to leave, and that we were not allowed to come in. So we thought there was no chance of risking it, and walked back to get a tram, on walking back we looked over our shoulder and found that they were following us. We hopped on the tram and they stood at the doors to make sure we couldn't get off. Eventually the tram started to move, before we realised we had no idea where it was going, so hopped off outside a hotel and got some cabs back to Berlin train station (about £25).

This tale should be recounted on the "Things you want to share" thread over on General Nonsense.  Many people would sympathise with your experience.

On 12/05/2017 at 12:29, LondonHMFC said:

Went to Berlin in November, a group of 9 of us and had a grand time. Well apart from the Union Berlin Ultras telling us to f**k off and leave before their game ever started.

Travelled on a Friday evening, got the train in from the airport, costs about £3, possibly less. Some bloke decided not to pay and was fined around £100 on the spot. Couldn't understand why he just wouldn't pay the fare given how bloody cheap it was.

Stayed right beside the central station in the Meininger hotel. Very basic, but does the job. Cheap bar inside, bratwurst stall outside.

Saturday we did all the touristy bits, Reichstag/Brandenburg Gate/Holocaust Memorial (close to this there is a Borussia Dortmund supporters bar oddly).

We watched the game in the pre mentioned Dortmund supporters bar and willed Stuttgart on to victory (they drew 1-1). The guy who sorted our tickets told us afterwards that their ultras are sick of being perceived as a family club, and now want to create bit of a reputation for themselves. In all fairness they could of given us a swift beating, but just made sure we didn't come in. So that was nice.

Incidentally the Sunday became the best day, instead of moping about, and being angry, we took the time to go round Checkpoint Charlie, see some of the wall, and ended up in the Lemke brauhaus , which someone else mentioned. It was absolutely quality.

Would definitely go back with the Mrs, felt we missed out on quite a bit, but that will always happen when with a big group. We had a couple cab journeys and found on asking the driver on their memories of the East/West split, and almost all of their reaction to being asked was quite cagey. One told us he was embarrassed and didn't like to talk about it. Would definitely like to find out a bit more about it, very interesting.

PS Union Berlin look to have shat promotion to the top tier of German football :)

No the brightest thing to say to a bunch of German fitba casuals:shutup

A bet yer mate was popular:lol:

I would have liked the look of confusion on the ultras face if someone had shouted:

"Mefful......East Fife."

• 4 months later...
It's my favourite city to visit and I know East Berlin very well and happy to offer any advice for areas like Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain, Neukoln, (top 3 areas imo) and also Mitte and Prenzlauer Berg.  I don't go for fine dining though, quite the opposite tbh because I can do enough of that here.  There are a lot of very nice places to eat in the east but it's more casual. You might be better looking at the west of the city.

Going to Kreuzberg for 4 days in mid November, staying in a flat via airbnb. Any recommendations for places to go? Bars and cafes rather than fine dining is our thing. The wall and checkpoint Charlie presumably but anywhere else? Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2017 at 11:45, Romeo said:

So...the beautiful Mrs Romeo is 50 this year. I have booked a surprise midweek break in December this year over her birthday as she has always wanted to see the Christmas Markets., I assume after last year these will be some of the safest Christmas markets :blink:

Any tips for food, things to do? Would love to take her to a Michelin star restaurant. Since it's Berlin I assume that herr @throbber might be able to give me tips ^_^

eta - What about getting from the airport to the City?

Bump.....

We are staying here in Berlin... https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/germany/berlin/melia-berlin/index.html

And have booked this for dinner on the night of her 50th..

http://rutz-restaurant.de/

will probably stick to the markets and other touristy stuff, I fancy going to see the Reichstag and we will visit the Brandenburg gate.