Romeo

• 1 month later...

Didn't arrive until after 4 after some travel chaos, but still managed to have a good first day in Berlin. Did the touristy stuff and had dinner at the highly recommend Einstein Unter den Linden, cracking food.

A few museums tomorrow followed by a fourth tier football match. Should be a good day. What a cracking city, missed it in the ten years since I've been here.

20220719_183413.jpg

47 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Brilliant day today.

Jewish Museum, Checkpoint Charlie, Neues Musuem and Pergammon Museum, finished off with Berliner AK07 v VFB Lübeck. Feet are sore and I'm absolutely shattered, but what a city this is.

20220720_115441.jpg

20220720_142609.jpg

Love Berlin.

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp today. An absolutely harrowing, and pretty emotional experience. I'd booking on an organised tour, our guide today was excellent, knew when to talk and knew when to be quiet and let you just take it all in.

20220721_143258.jpg

Edited by Craig fae the Vale

2 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Olympiastadion before heading to the airport today. A spectacular stadium, well worth visiting.

20220722_103922.jpg

Iconic and architecturaly interesting, but a shite place to watch football due to the athletics track.

1 hour ago, German Jag said:

Iconic and architecturaly interesting, but a shite place to watch football due to the athletics track.

I found it to be pretty good up in the top tier tbh. IIRC the away fans were in a corner in the bottom tier where it would be a lot more shite, but for a neutral you can almost always get a ticket in the home end and a good experience. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from 3 nights in Berlin. Absolutely loved it. Crammed quite a lot in from 12pm onwards the first day, and the 2 full days after. Stayed at the Mondrian Suites, 5 minute walk from Checkpoint Charlie. We had the 9 euro pass which is probably the best value for money ticket ever. Unlimited travel throughout Germany. Runs out at the end of the month though I think.

TV tower was cool, but bar wasn’t open unfortunately. Had a stein in the Hofbrauhaus near Alexanderplatz. 

Currywurst and Donner Kebab both winners and good solid options for lunch. Plenty vendors throughout the city. 

The first night ended with a pizza in a restaurant across from the Babylon Cinema off Rosa Luxembourg strasse. We found out later that the former Stasi leader, Erich Mielke actually shot dead a couple of police officials outside the Babylon back in 1931.

Did the big bus tour round the city on the second day which was good to see all the major sights, but first day we pretty much cracked the S Bahn/ U Bahn so travelling throughout the city was relatively straight forward. Sometimes slightly confusing though, and remembering which way you’re meant to be going could sometimes mean you went the wrong way for a few stops before realising. The aforementioned 9 euro ticket meant that no money east wasted in that regard.

Museum wise for the second day, we managed the DDR museum and the Berlin Story Bunker. Both brilliant and worth the money. Finished off the night with a meal roundabout the zoo area of the city. 

Third and final day, up early and headed to see the Brandenburg Gate, along with the Jewish memorial and the site of Hitlers bunker, which is literally a 2 minute walk from each other. Then headed on the U Bahn up to the Olympic stadium for a guided tour. Stadium really is fantastic, weird how it’s so old, yet when sitting inside it, looks pretty modern. Cool about the colour of the track being unique as well. Then it was basically the U Bahn right across the city to my favourite museum which was the Stasi museum. The eeriness of it, from even just coming up the stairs of the station, and seeing the high rise’s which reminded me of parts of Glenrothes but on a grander scale 😂😂

But the museum itself, and seeing all the rooms in which they basically spied on everyone including their own people was fascinating. Had a Coke in the conference room as well. Weird. 😂

After that we took a trip round the German Spy museum and the Topography of Terror before resigning ourselves to a few drinks and back the suite as our flight this morning was quite early.

A brilliant city, just wish we were there for longer so I could get some other museums and such in. But all in all, loved it and will definitely be back. 

Edited by Wardy

If you're into the museum/stasi stuff you should definitely do the Hohenschonhausen prison tour. If you get off the Ubahn at Magdalenenstrasse or Sbahn at Lichtenberg you can get a bus around the corner that drops you two mins walk from the compound. If you go to Potsdam you can also see the 'Stasi university' where they trained their recruits, but it's just the building itself, no tours, because I think it's an optics or computing company or something that occupies it now.

All the museums off Unter den Linden and on the island are interesting, but they get expensive if you don't have a pass or freebie, and to be honest it's just typical museum stuff and not really anything specific to Berlin. I would definitely recommend Bernauer Strasse to see the Wall memorial and museum, especially if you do it on a Sunday and combine that with a look around the flohmarkt in Mauerpark. Nordbahnhof used to have the 'ghost stations' display and that was really interesting, but I think they shut that Ubahn station a few years ago, so I'm not sure where the exhibit is now.

9 hours ago, Wardy said:

Currywurst and Donner Kebab both winners and good solid options for lunch. Plenty vendors throughout the city. 

I love a currywurst.

Another tip for a tasty and inexpensive meal that is very "Berlin" is to visit a butcher shop. Many of them have tables and chairs outside and you can get huge portions of hearty stews or goulash for a few euros.

The Domke Fleischerei on Warschauer Straße is pretty good. 

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, PrestersKTID said:

How easy is it to get tickets to games at Union or hertha ? 
looking to go to Berlin next couple months and want to take in a game.

Not been but I'd asked someone about both recently and as far as I recall:

Hertha will be a piece of piss. 

Union is tougher, think they are similar to St Pauli in that it's best to find a member who can sort you with tickets but there can also be folk outside with tickets in the air.  

Organising a stag to Berlin in April - which seemed a great idea on paper but now finding it slightly difficult.

I've read through most of the thread and gather that Kreuzberg seems to be a good shout for bars but how have folk found nightclubs? Since telling people that I'm off to Berlin, I've heard of some nightmares that I wish I'd known before booking. 

Got one of the beer halls booked for when we arrive on the Friday night and another one for lunch time on the Saturday but don't think they'll be like the Oktoberfest style ones I had in mind (should really have checked this before confirming the location).

Is there any decent locations where there are a few bars within walking distance? Everything seems to be fairly spread out which feels like it will be a challenge when trying to herd 23 folk.

On 19/02/2023 at 21:39, PrestersKTID said:

How easy is it to get tickets to games at Union or hertha ? 
looking to go to Berlin next couple months and want to take in a game.

Had been hoping to get to the Union game but was kindly told by one of the hospitality staff that there was no chance of accommodating a group of our size. As mentioned above, they seem to have a lottery for tickets and you need to be a member to be in the draw.

28 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Organising a stag to Berlin in April - which seemed a great idea on paper but now finding it slightly difficult.

I've read through most of the thread and gather that Kreuzberg seems to be a good shout for bars but how have folk found nightclubs? Since telling people that I'm off to Berlin, I've heard of some nightmares that I wish I'd known before booking. 

Got one of the beer halls booked for when we arrive on the Friday night and another one for lunch time on the Saturday but don't think they'll be like the Oktoberfest style ones I had in mind (should really have checked this before confirming the location).

Is there any decent locations where there are a few bars within walking distance? Everything seems to be fairly spread out which feels like it will be a challenge when trying to herd 23 folk.

Had been hoping to get to the Union game but was kindly told by one of the hospitality staff that there was no chance of accommodating a group of our size. As mentioned above, they seem to have a lottery for tickets and you need to be a member to be in the draw.

Union have ca. 11.000 season ticket holders and about 49.000 members.

Had a look at their fixtures for April, and more than likely the away section will be next to impossible to get tickets for as well.