Romeo

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Dunno if best to put this here or the match thread but due to Russia invading Ukraine and the play offs being switched I'm gonna be in Berlin for the Ukraine match and, hopefully, the Wales match. Anyone know a good pub that will have the game on?

https://www.irishpubberlin.de/

The Irish pub in the Europa Center, linked above, is the normal answer.

Or check this site

https://www.fussballgucken.info/locations

There‘s only the SCO-UKR on at the time. Game is on DAZN in Germany so most sports, irish bars will be showing it. Ditto for the Wales final. 

Visiting Berlin for the first time this weekend with my girlfriend. Going to a show at the Waldbühne one night and meeting up with a few mates a other night but nothing planned during the days. Anyone got any suggestions for must do/sees in the city?

Also, is the Berlin Welcome Card worthwhile? 

TIA.

13 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

Visiting Berlin for the first time this weekend with my girlfriend. Going to a show at the Waldbühne one night and meeting up with a few mates a other night but nothing planned during the days. Anyone got any suggestions for must do/sees in the city?

TIA.

Having been twice, but far from an expert, I would suggest the following:

DDR Museum- One of the better museums in Berlin IMO.

Boat Tour along the Spree- Gives you a good layout of the city.

Tiergarten and Victory column- Fantastic views over the city as well as some brilliant photos on a clear day.

And go to a club while you're there, not any of the mad ones, the mid sized ones are still brilliant without some of the weirdness.

On 25/05/2022 at 23:58, Ex Machina said:

Anyone got any suggestions for must do/sees in the city?

TIA.

The Card is worthwhile. If you go on one of the Hop on Hop off bus tours, the discount almost makes it worthwhile on its own. If you go on the bus, pick the only one with live guides rather than the recorded commentary. Much better.

The Viator walking tours are excellent if you're interested in history, and the DDR museum was good.

Get a travel card; the Berlin Welcome Card actually covers that and it's worth getting the one that covers zones A, B and C as you,ll need that to get out to the airport and Potsdam. There's a travel centre at the airport. Get it there.

On 26/05/2022 at 13:42, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Having been twice, but far from an expert, I would suggest the following:

DDR Museum- One of the better museums in Berlin IMO.

Boat Tour along the Spree- Gives you a good layout of the city.

Tiergarten and Victory column- Fantastic views over the city as well as some brilliant photos on a clear day.

And go to a club while you're there, not any of the mad ones, the mid sized ones are still brilliant without some of the weirdness.

I'd agree with all of that. I'd also add the Olympic Stadium. Easy enough to reach by train and it's pretty interesting from both a historical and architectural perspective.

23 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

I'd agree with all of that. I'd also add the Olympic Stadium. Easy enough to reach by train and it's pretty interesting from both a historical and architectural perspective.

Agree with a tour of the Olympiastadion - it's on two lines - one U-Bahn, One S-Bahn and takes 10-15 minutes from the centre of the city. I think it's a stunning piece of architecture, as though a huge granite UFO was planted on the outskirts of the city and then sculpted into the building it is today. Of course, the history of the building adds to the value of the trip. 

Also, if you have the time - the House of the Wannsee Conference is very much worth a visit. It was the site of an SS-led conference in 1942 where, along with other Nazi government officials, the SS effectively 'sold' the idea of the 'Final Solution' to the other participants. The TV film 'Conspiracy' with Kenneth Branagh and Stanley Tucci gives is an excellent watch on the subject). The house is on Wannsee lake which in itself is a lovely spot. The S7 train takes around 30 minutes from the centre of town and is covered by the Welcome Card C ticket region. Does get very busy on a weekend though but still worth it, imo.

There are various parts of the Wall still standing. At Bornholmer Strasse, very close to the main station of Gesundbrunnen, you have the Bösebrücke - this was the first crossing point opened in 1989. Like most aspects of the Wall, it's not an 'all-singing/dancing' exhibition area but rather very understated (it's outside - there's no museum as such) and I think particularly effective as the area itself is (like a lot of the city) quite bleak. Just adds to the ability to imagine what it was really like.  

Edited by N5 Spur
typo

46 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Went to union Berlin instead of Bertha only to find out they don't do tours.........

Also would strongly suggest the 3 day travel pass, this dafty got fined for not having a ticket.

39 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Went to union Berlin instead of Bertha only to find out they don't do tours.........

Also would strongly suggest the 3 day travel pass, this dafty got fined for not having a ticket.

Yeah, when I was last there I only bothered buying a ticket around a quarter of the times that I used the trains. Luckily the one time I was checked happened to be one of the few times that I bought a ticket.

I'm surprised that Hertha don't do tours. They did when I was there, but that was three years ago and I suppose the pandemic has changed a lot since then...

EDIT - Sorry I misread your post. It's Union who don't do tours.

Edited by Paul Kersey

Just now, Paul Kersey said:

I'm surprised that Hertha don't do tours. They did when I was there, but that was three years ago and I suppose the pandemic has changed a lot since then...

Hertha do tours. I think the posted was referring to Union not doing tours. But Hertha definitely do.

2 minutes ago, N5 Spur said:

Hertha do tours. I think the posted was referring to Union not doing tours. But Hertha definitely do.

Yeah, I misread the post. 

I had a walk past Dynamo's ground last time I was there. A great example of a communist era stadium.  I think it's getting done up though. 

3 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Yeah, I misread the post. 

I had a walk past Dynamo's ground last time I was there. A great example of a communist era stadium.  I think it's getting done up though. 

If you can see it, there is a map below showing all the stadia in the city, although it doesn't show transport links, unfortunately.

Re Potsdam: went to the Cecilienhof a few years back while in Berlin. Lovely grounds. A pleasant enough walk there too after getting off the tram, even though it was *fucking roasting*. Definitely worthwhile if you're interested in WWII/history in general.

On 29/05/2022 at 10:00, N5 Spur said:

Also, if you have the time - the House of the Wannsee Conference is very much worth a visit. It was the site of an SS-led conference in 1942 where, along with other Nazi government officials, the SS effectively 'sold' the idea of the 'Final Solution' to the other participants. The TV film 'Conspiracy' with Kenneth Branagh and Stanley Tucci gives is an excellent watch on the subject). The house is on Wannsee lake which in itself is a lovely spot. The S7 train takes around 30 minutes from the centre of town and is covered by the Welcome Card C ticket region. Does get very busy on a weekend though but still worth it, imo.

Actually went there on Saturday (was visiting my brother who lives in the area). It's an excellent facility with a lot of information that was new to me. Unfortunately ran short of time near the end as it was closing (it did give me a shudder reading about the death camps as the electric shutters came down).

Prior to that we went to the Alliierton (Allied) Museum which focuses on Berlin Airlift and subsequent Cold War years. Again an excellent place to spend an hour or two.

8 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Actually went there on Saturday (was visiting my brother who lives in the area). It's an excellent facility with a lot of information that was new to me. Unfortunately ran short of time near the end as it was closing (it did give me a shudder reading about the death camps as the electric shutters came down).

Prior to that we went to the Alliierton (Allied) Museum which focuses on Berlin Airlift and subsequent Cold War years. Again an excellent place to spend an hour or two.

That's all true. Berlin is easily the most fascinating city on Earth. From the WW2 history to the counter culture of the 70s, 80's and 90's.  There's no place else that comes close...