Romeo

Bump.....
We are staying here in Berlin... https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/germany/berlin/melia-berlin/index.html
And have booked this for dinner on the night of her 50th..
http://rutz-restaurant.de/
will probably stick to the markets and other touristy stuff, I fancy going to see the Reichstag and we will visit the Brandenburg gate. 

We stayed in that hotel in January, its really nice. There's the beer stock exchange pub just across the river where the price of beer goes up or down during he night depending how popular it is!

17 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Bump.....

We are staying here in Berlin... https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/germany/berlin/melia-berlin/index.html

And have booked this for dinner on the night of her 50th..

http://rutz-restaurant.de/

will probably stick to the markets and other touristy stuff, I fancy going to see the Reichstag and we will visit the Brandenburg gate. 

All wrong with the restaurant mate.

This sound relevant to my needs.

It's brilliant. Was in there for Saturday during the football season and was busy with Hertha fans getting ready for the game.

The beer exchange is a novel idea, although it only kicks off about 5 IIRC.

Food is decent too, a fine sausage platter (ooo-err).

On 24/09/2017 at 12:51, gpo said:

Going to Kreuzberg for 4 days in mid November, staying in a flat via airbnb. Any recommendations for places to go? Bars and cafes rather than fine dining is our thing. The wall and checkpoint Charlie presumably but anywhere else? Cheers.

Sorry, just noticed this. I'll post up some good streets/stations later. 

Would take me ages going into too much detail so I'll be brief.  Check the side streets of the main ones mentioned below.  You sometimes have to walk through a few residential blocks to come across a really good area. The best parts of Kreuzberg and Neukoln kind of blend into each other as well (Kreuzkoln).

Kreuzberg:

Stations - Schlesisches Tor, Kottbusser Tor, Gorlitzer Banhof, Moritzplatz

Streets - Oranien Strasse, Skalitzer Strasse

Neukoln:

Get off at Rathaus Neukoln station and check out the area between Sonnenallee and the canal.  Weserstrasse/Fuldestrasse in particular and the area north towards the canal (Kreuzkoln).  There's also an area east of Hermanstrasse close to Tempelhofer that's decent.  Seemed a bit too gentrified during the daytime (hipster burger bars) but there were bars that looked good that didn't open until evening time.

Friedrichshain:

Warschauer Strasse station is central.  You've got Eastside Gallery to the south then an industrial unit are filled with clubs and bars behind it.  To the east of that is Simon Dache Strasse and Boxhangener Platz, loads of good bars/cheap eats to be had there.  Bit of a younger crowd, bit more studenty. 

There's more than enough there too keep you going for 4/5 days but you can also check out Torstrasse area in Mitte, get off at Rosa Luxemburg Platz station and there's good bars around Eberswalder Strasse station in Prenzlauer Berg but I'd have that lower down my priority list tbh.

For all the other normal toursity stuff check out the previous pages of this thread. :)

Absolutely love Berlin! Heading back next week for a few days. Whilst I was there in the summer I decided to check out Tempelhofer feld. Instead of taking the u bahn I decided to walk back to Alexanderplatz using only the Tv Tower as a navigational point. It was really good walking through all the different neighbourhoods. It took 2 hours though and the bird was fuming.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Amazing City. Spent the last week there and would happily have stayed for longer. The zoo is an absolute must, but make sure the aquarium is included (it costs an extra few Euros). I was in there for about 2 hours and it still wasn't enough. 
892698-troymcclure.png

Sorry, but I just don’t get why anybody would go to somewhere like Berlin to look at caged animals.

Had a good weekend there last week and back in April for a stag/footy. Not read whole thread but schonefeld airport or whatever it’s called is the worst I’ve been to.

It's an absolute hole for departures. Arrivals not so bad but aye, horrible on the way out.

Just back from 4 days in Berlin in the Kreuzberg area. Flights from Glasgow there and back no issues, Schönefeld airport was fine although tiny bar on the way back. Transport in Berlin was excellent, plenty bars, mostly better at night. Enjoyable river cruises, not so much the bus tour. Very good museums around and obviously the usual tourist spots. People were very friendly and Kreuzberg was enjoy able, def bohemian. Weather was okay too.

• 2 weeks later...
Booked up for next June, first trip abroad in years for myself.

Booked into the Raddison Park inn in Alexanderplatz and buzzing!

Absolutely massive hotel, good place to be based.

Came back on Friday.  Had three full days there and could stayed for a week there was so much to do.  Really loved the atmosphere.  The transport is outstanding, the way they've got the S Bahn and the U Bahn set up with so many trains and so many lines and station put Britain to shame.  It really is like clockwork.