Romeo

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just back from being here for the weekend and good god damn what a city. Genuinely blown away by how amazing it all is.

The Topography of Terror is really interesting, as was finding out more about the Berlin wall. Had a cycle round Treptower park and saw the soviet war memorial in there was is very cool. Checkpoint Charlie just about gave me the boak, though. 

Can confirm that Berlin Schönefeld airport departures is fucking miserable.

12 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Can confirm that Berlin Schönefeld airport departures is fucking miserable.

I was quite surprised at how grim it was.  I know it's the old East Berlin airport but the 'new' Germany usually makes everything so slick and efficient.  I know there's plans for a new airport, but good Lord, Schonefeld is just dreadful.

15 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I was quite surprised at how grim it was.  I know it's the old East Berlin airport but the 'new' Germany usually makes everything so slick and efficient.  I know there's plans for a new airport, but good Lord, Schonefeld is just dreadful.

The rest of the transport infrastructure in Berlin is pretty much flawless. Cheap, clean & efficient to get across the city. But Schönefeld is a toilet. 

Berlin Brandenburg is under construction and you can see it from the terminal at Schönefeld but, from the sounds of it, the whole build of it has been a complete fucking disaster.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Ylf said:

Booked for 5 nights in Berlin in October. Really looking forward to going

Great city. Highlights for us were the DDR museum by the river, the Cathedral is near there too, some view of Berlin if you go up to the roof area.

The Wall of course, still the odd concrete Watchtower dotted around too, as others have said Checkpoint Charlie is tacky, fine if you want a keyring or (an alleged) bit of The Wall as a souvenir.

The huge Holocaust Memorial is something else, walk through it and the noise of the city just disappears. There is tons to see, the fact that there's still bullet holes from WWII in a lot of the older buildings & monuments stuck in my mind too.

It's easy to get about too with the trains.  Enjoy

Great city. Highlights for us were the DDR museum by the river, the Cathedral is near there too, some view of Berlin if you go up to the roof area.
The Wall of course, still the odd concrete Watchtower dotted around too, as others have said Checkpoint Charlie is tacky, fine if you want a keyring or (an alleged) bit of The Wall as a souvenir.
The huge Holocaust Memorial is something else, walk through it and the noise of the city just disappears. There is tons to see, the fact that there's still bullet holes from WWII in a lot of the older buildings & monuments stuck in my mind too.
It's easy to get about too with the trains.  Enjoy

Thanks a lot. Did you get a travel card/pass?

1 hour ago, Ylf said:

Thanks a lot. Did you get a travel card/pass?

No, we just used the train when needed, almost seemed like there was a train station on nearly every corner, it's great & cheap, we walked a lot. Picked up the free city maps, train maps etc which are widely available at the airport.

Stayed in Tiergarten district, a lovely area. Here's an idea of the free guide/leaflets which are abundant. The 'walk' type one is great, gives you easy routes to follow for places of interest.

20190409_150926.jpg

20190409_150858.jpg

If you want a better experience of the wall/life in the east would strongly recommend visiting Bernauer Strasse. It's around 1km long section of the wall with a lot of explanation and a free museum around half way. It's the number 1 thing I would recommend as a tourist thing in Berlin, but weirdly doesn't seem as popular. For reference, I've lived here for 7 months and have been 4 or 5 times at least (with visitors + for a walk). Get off at Nordbahnhof and walk round the corner and it's there.

There's genuinely so much to do here that 5 nights will barely scratch the surface. Happy to give recommendations for anything.

If you want a better experience of the wall/life in the east would strongly recommend visiting Bernauer Strasse. It's around 1km long section of the wall with a lot of explanation and a free museum around half way. It's the number 1 thing I would recommend as a tourist thing in Berlin, but weirdly doesn't seem as popular. For reference, I've lived here for 7 months and have been 4 or 5 times at least (with visitors + for a walk). Get off at Nordbahnhof and walk round the corner and it's there.
There's genuinely so much to do here that 5 nights will barely scratch the surface. Happy to give recommendations for anything.
We're about to book a long weekend in June before I head to Brussels for the Scotland game. There's some sort of festival on.

38 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
1 hour ago, Netan Sansara said:

We're about to book a long weekend in June before I head to Brussels for the Scotland game. There's some sort of festival on.

Can't say I know too much but I think it's a culture festival type thing, have heard people at work mention it. Will undoubtedly be a good weekend with something like that going on though! Have you been before?

Berlin open air is on June the 15th. Plenty of free music dotted around the city.

• 1 month later...
is the zoo and aquarium worth a visit??

I quite liked the Zoo. A wide range of animals there and you can spend about 2-3 hours there. The wolves howling gets on your tits after a while but me and the Mrs thoroughly enjoyed it.

I thought the Aquarium was quite shite but it was like €10 extra so we just did it anyway.

Some cracking boozers in the Zoo Garten area.

Was top stuff last night but today is meant to be packed like f**k.

Got some free booze too, winning weekend so far!

i’m going in october can’t wait. you get a travel card??

On 6/8/2019 at 13:48, Ylf said:

i’m going in october can’t wait. you get a travel card??

I got a welcome card when I went in March which was pretty good. The trains are class and get you about no bother. 

We ended up hiring bikes using the Donkey Republic app which got us about Treptower park/Kreuzberg to explore. We lucked out on the weather tbf. It was sunny all weekend.