Romeo

23 hours ago, Redgold said:

Has anyone been to East Berlin?

22 hours ago, Elixir said:

It's the best part.

Friedrichshain and Prenzlauer Berg are in East Berlin and are the best areas IMO. Mitte is also East Berlin, but is pretty dull. Kreuzberg was in the west, but is also pretty good for nightlife and counterculture. 

I organised a trip for about 12 friends and acquaintances in North Wales about 20 years ago and didn't have a  clue. Turned out our hotel was in the East, very plush, and dirt cheap. Did all the sights and there was a big bash for the entry of Poland etc into the EU at Brandenburg Gate which would pinpoint the year if I could be arsed. Last night we randomly found a Beatles themed bar, half of us were scousers so we were welcomed. Ended having breakfast alone with the barman and getting an hour's sleep before my clients banged on the door to catch our flight. Never been so fucked getting on a plane before or since. That was the end of my travel guide career.

P.S. I did try one more in Krakow but the hotel turned out to be a shithole and everyone argued all the time so I gave up.

Edited by welshbairn

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I organised a trip for about 12 friends and acquaintances in North Wales about 20 years ago and didn't have a  clue. Turned out our hotel was in the East, very plush, and dirt cheap. Did all the sights and there was a big bash for the entry of Poland etc into the EU at Brandenburg Gate which would pinpoint the year if I could be arsed. Last night we randomly found a Beatles themed bar, half of us were scousers so we were welcomed. Ended having breakfast alone with the barman and getting an hour's sleep before my clients banged on the door to catch our flight. Never been so fucked getting on a plane before or since. That was the end of my travel guide career.

P.S. I did try one more in Krakow but the hotel turned out to be a shithole and everyone argued all the time so I gave up.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/09/2021 at 19:09, Paul Kersey said:

Friedrichshain and Prenzlauer Berg are in East Berlin and are the best areas IMO. Mitte is also East Berlin, but is pretty dull. Kreuzberg was in the west, but is also pretty good for nightlife and counterculture. 

There's a really class place called The Bird in Prenzlauer Berg that does a wonderful burger accompanied with many, many pints. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can’t believe there’s been no recommendation for the Stasi museum.

The DDR museum while ok, does not tell you half of what the Stasi museum does about the period. Not to mention it’s incredibly cool that it’s actually in the former headquarters building (where a fair bit of Deutschland 83/86/89 were filmed).  

https://www.stasimuseum.de/en/enindex.htm

• 3 months later...

Heading to Berlin for a few days in July. Hoping to get to a pre-season friendly or two, visiting Sachsenhausen concentration camp and Museum Island and probably revisit the zoo. 

As the forum knows all too well, I'm into my craft beer, so does anyone have any bar recommendations? I'll probably be happy just drinking proper German beer, but if there's anywhere that stands out I'm happy to hear about it!

24 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Heading to Berlin for a few days in July. Hoping to get to a pre-season friendly or two, visiting Sachsenhausen concentration camp and Museum Island and probably revisit the zoo. 

As the forum knows all too well, I'm into my craft beer, so does anyone have any bar recommendations? I'll probably be happy just drinking proper German beer, but if there's anywhere that stands out I'm happy to hear about it!

This place here is pretty cool. Its a shop, rather than a pub, but when I was there about 3 years ago they had tables and chairs outside.

Many corner shops have huge beer selections and tables outside. Some of the shops will have like 7 fridges full of beer but only 1 with soft drinks.

I find most pubs in Berlin have a fairly limited choice of German beers, usually Astra or Berliner Kindl.

I haven't been for around 3 years though, so things may have changed.

There's more recommendations here but I've never personally been to these places.

On 22/10/2021 at 20:24, Redgold said:

I wonder whether anyone has been to East  Berlin before the year 1989.

Friend of mine went on a trade union sponsored trip in the early 80s. Lots of free beer at fraternal gatherings with the Leipzig branch of the pipefitters and boilermakers union, followed by a stream of stunning German girls cracking on to him. Given he was a shy, spotty Dundonian teenager and was ugly as a bagful of spanners, we assumed it was an attempt to get Kompromat in case he ended up in a position of influence.

Lemke is pretty good as I recall. Quite a few places about the city including one just across from Alexanderplatz.

Lemke is okay but isn’t craft beer and anyone going to Berlin and spending any serious time in the vicinity of Alexanderplatz is doing it wrong. 

For a craft brewery BRLO is pretty decent (near the Landwerkehr canal and Gleisdreieck U bahn station). Also a pretty decent area for drinking as you’ve got Kreuzberg a short walk east and Schöneberg to your west.

Theres a load of really good bars in Kreuzberg/Neukölln as well as Friedrichshain and to a lesser extent Prenzlauer Berg. Depends on where you’re staying for any more in depth recommendations. 

• 1 month later...

I'm off to Berlin in June and by the sounds of things, if Scotland beat Ukraine or get a bye; we'll probably play the final while I'm in Berlin.

What football pubs in Berlin are likely to be friendly to tourists and happy to put on a Scotland game?

Thanks in advance :-)

28 minutes ago, MeadowArab said:

I'm off to Berlin in June and by the sounds of things, if Scotland beat Ukraine or get a bye; we'll probably play the final while I'm in Berlin.

What football pubs in Berlin are likely to be friendly to tourists and happy to put on a Scotland game?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Your best bet is probably the Irish pub in the Europa centre.

9 hours ago, MeadowArab said:

Thanks in advance 🙂

As PK mentioned the Irish bar in the Europa centre will have it (as will most Irish bars).

This web-site is a good place to check.

Edited by German Jag