Romeo

Went to Berlin for the first time a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. My only regret was not spending more time there. Was only there from the Sunday evening until Tuesday morning and there was so much we wanted to see and do but didn't get the chance.

Before I went, I'd been told by a mate that it wasn't a great place and felt very slavic. Didn't get those impressions at all. It was beautiful, modern and clean as well as being unbelievably vibrant.

I've been to most major cities in Germany except Hamburg and Frankfurt, and I've loved every one of them. I just love Germany altogether, and every city has it's own charm and vibrance.

On 17/06/2019 at 12:10, Connor1874 said:

Went to Berlin for the first time a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. My only regret was not spending more time there. Was only there from the Sunday evening until Tuesday morning and there was so much we wanted to see and do but didn't get the chance.

Before I went, I'd been told by a mate that it wasn't a great place and felt very slavic. Didn't get those impressions at all. It was beautiful, modern and clean as well as being unbelievably vibrant.

I've been to most major cities in Germany except Hamburg and Frankfurt, and I've loved every one of them. I just love Germany altogether, and every city has it's own charm and vibrance.

And there's why it's best to just ignore people altogether. Best city in the world.

Went for a week last year and there was still plenty of things we didn't get the chance to do.

Edited by AyrTroopMajor

3 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

And there's why it's best to just ignore people altogether. Best city in the world.

Went for a week last year and there was still plenty of things we didn't get the chance to do.

I like to hear other people's impressions on places but I tend not to get too hung up or influenced by what they say.

Went to Paris last year and wasn't particularly sure I'd enjoy it but I ****ing adore Paris. Likewise, I always wanted to go to Amsterdam and have had many people talk about how great it is, yet, I wasn't particularly thrilled by it. Done all the touristy things and it was nice, but was somewhat taken aback by how busy and expensive it was.

You would have to get one that Covers the ABC zone. I would just buy one for the AB zone and just buy a single ABC ticket for the trips to and from the airport.

On 22/06/2019 at 15:34, paul wright scores said:

Just booked for Berlin for January 2020 and wonder how good the Welcome Berlin ticket is.  Can you use it to get to and from the airport?

As above, assuming you are flying into Schonefeld, you would need a ticket that covers Zones A, B and C. Not sure what kind of trip you are going for but if you were planning on visiting Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, it also falls under Zone C so may be best to just get the 3 zones. 

Make sure you validate your train ticket before getting on the train. There are wee red machines on the platform that you stick the ticket in and it gets stamped.

On 22/06/2019 at 22:23, Waspy said:

You would have to get one that Covers the ABC zone. I would just buy one for the AB zone and just buy a single ABC ticket for the trips to and from the airport.

Not sure how the travel cards work, but if you have a normal AB ticket, you can add a C extension for about €1,80 - rather than an ABC ticket

On 21/06/2019 at 15:34, AyrTroopMajor said:

I only went for 3 days and didn't stop moving the whole time we were there. Feel like I barely scratched the surface. So many things I didn't get a chance to see. 

Definitely going to make an effort to go back next year. 

• 4 weeks later...

Going on Wednesday.  I like visiting WW2 sites.  Spent a few hours in Berlin a few years ago so kinda just rushed around the city centre.  I’ll be able to take my time now.  Was thinking to visit the Wannase house and the Olympic stadium.  

2 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Going on Wednesday.  I like visiting WW2 sites.  Spent a few hours in Berlin a few years ago so kinda just rushed around the city centre.  I’ll be able to take my time now.  Was thinking to visit the Wannase house and the Olympic stadium.  

Olympic stadium is pretty impressive. I love the way they've kept the original facade but modernised the facilities.

Dynamo Berlin's stadium is also pretty smart, albeit very communist looking. 

I've never made it to Union's ground yet.

Olympic stadium is pretty impressive. I love the way they've kept the original facade but modernised the facilities.
Dynamo Berlin's stadium is also pretty smart, albeit very communist looking. 
I've never made it to Union's ground yet.

Get along to Dynamos stadium before they tear it down for redevelopment for the special Olympics.

17 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp is an hour's train journey, but still covered under Zone C of the Berlin train system.

Topography of Terror is free to enter, excellent and definitely worth a couple of hours of your time.

I believe there are also walking tours which cover a lot of WW2 sites, a quick Google search would confirm. 

If you do go to the Olympiastadion, there are tours including tours occasionally in English, but you could also just pay to get into the grounds and wander around. You can also then wander into the stadium and go up to the upper tier etc at your own leisure. The Hertha shop is located in the Ostkurve, which is worth a browse if you're interested in that. 

https://forum.axishistory.com/

For those interested in WW2 stuff, that site is incredible. A massive amount of previously unseen pics etc.

Obviously the Nazis were a shower of c*nts, but a lot of their architecture was utterly phenomenal and it's a damn shame that we destroyed so much of it. The Reichskanzlei in particular was a masterpiece. - https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=126282

https://www.tracesofwar.com/

That site is brilliant also. Really cool how much stuff there is so close to home! 

I’ve seen many harrowing sites today.  Visited the wanasse house.  The commonwealth war graves truly puts the immense sacrifice people made visually in front of you.  I spent more time in the topography of terror as I had to rush through it last time.  

The biggest outrage I saw today however was this.

You can get pineapple on a burger in McDonald’s.

8938BAB5-2E26-4D2C-B510-7B48C5B60067.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Heading back for a weekend in November, almost a year since I was last there. Been desperate to go back ever since. 

Stayed in Friedrichshain last time, about 10 minute walk from Boxhagener Platz which was excellent but keen to stay in Kreuzberg this time as I never saw much of it last year. Does anyone have any recommendations for the Kreuzberg area? I'm mostly interested in scoffing copious amounts of German lager as opposed to touristy stuff having done that last time, but having a rough idea where to base myself in Kreuzberg would be handy. 

I am also planning on taking in the Hertha game, at home to Leipzig. Presumably easy enough to get briefs?

Edited by ScottR96

On 30/08/2019 at 00:07, ScottR96 said:

Heading back for a weekend in November, almost a year since I was last there. Been desperate to go back ever since. 

Stayed in Friedrichshain last time, about 10 minute walk from Boxhagener Platz which was excellent but keen to stay in Kreuzberg this time as I never saw much of it last year. Does anyone have any recommendations for the Kreuzberg area? I'm mostly interested in scoffing copious amounts of German lager as opposed to touristy stuff having done that last time, but having a rough idea where to base myself in Kreuzberg would be handy. 

I am also planning on taking in the Hertha game, at home to Leipzig. Presumably easy enough to get briefs?

Tickets for Hertha - Leipzig will be no problem. Likely be ca. 50000 there.

Would suggest to get your ticket prior to going to the stadium. Means you've got the free travel included. Club shops located here.