Romeo

Back yesterday after nearly six days in Berlin. Being a regular to Munich I was keen to compare the two and it was interesting to see the differences in both. Berlin is much more sprawling and has much more of district feel to it similar to a city like London. Munich looks much better in terms of its overall architecture but I'm guessing that is due to it having pretty uninterrupted political history post 1945 compared to Berlin which in many ways is what makes Berlin so interesting. 

I was fascinated with all of the historical stuff and in terms of contemporary modern history there probably isn't a city like it anywhere else. I'm glad I got the chance to increase my knowledge of the Berlin Wall and the East/West divide. Highlights for me were the food market on the Thursday night in Kreuzburg, the East Side Gallery, Topography of Terror, DDR Museum, Holocaust Memorial and Museum, Olympic Stadium and the famous landmarks like the Reichstag and Brandenburg Gate. Found Checkpoint Charlie very tacky and totally out of character in amongst all the other WWII stuff. 

Personal highlight was taking a trip down to Union Berlin's stadium then having lovely walk through some of the forest at the ground before watching the team train and then giving the man in the shop a bit of chat before him letting me having a wander about the empty stadium.

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 18.11.19.png

The East Side Gallery is worth a look and it's interesting to see a stretch of the wall but tbh I reckon there is better street art elsewhere in Berlin . You do see some pretty good stuff at random when wandering around.

That does look like a proper old school football ground and I imagine there's a good atmosphere. I took a stroll past Dynamo's stadium last time I was there. It is very communist/eastern European looking. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got home this afternoon. Always interesting reading back on the thread to see other people's thoughts. 

I'm glad I took the advice on here and stay in Friedrichshain. Hotel was decent for transport to all the touristy stuff but also within a couple of minutes walk to some really good bars and places to eat. Loved wandering the streets with a beer in hand and nobody giving a f**k. 

Did most of the usual tourist stuff - Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie and Topography of Terror were all decent but the latter was by far and away the highlight of the tourist stuff we did. Also did the Cathedral and the Reichstag. East Side Gallery was cool. 

Reading back on the thread it seems mental that people would go to Berlin and hardly venture outside Alexander Platz for food and drink. Was genuinely bored within 10 minutes of walking about there. 

Would love to go back and spend some more time in Kreuzberg as we went there for one night but headed home early as my girlfriend wasn't feeling too great. Liked what I saw though and thon Burger place right at Kotbusser Torr was brilliant. 

Now that I've been and done the majority of the tourist stuff I'd love to go back and explore other parts of the city a bit more and maybe take in a game as the fixture list wasn't too kind to us this time around. 

Edited by ScottR96

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2018 at 18:12, stumigoo said:

I was fascinated with all of the historical stuff and in terms of contemporary modern history there probably isn't a city like it anywhere else. I'm glad I got the chance to increase my knowledge of the Berlin Wall and the East/West divide.

My favourite parts of my trip to Berlin were the historical walking tours around the streets, varying from WWII through to the 80's. 

Loads of stuff that I would have walked straight past without noticing otherwise in addition to the various interesting things off of the beaten track.  Same applies to any other city, but I agree when you say that there isn't a city like Berlin anywhere else with regards to modern history.  Still very relevant and engaging.

Edited by Hedgecutter

• 2 weeks later...

See for all the touristy attractions, is it best to get on the bus which goes around most of the spots or to do everything separate? Bus is working out at just under £20 each at the minute which i think is a fair enough price considering I’ve never been before and not sure on where I’m going.

On 26/11/2018 at 14:41, Moo said:

See for all the touristy attractions, is it best to get on the bus which goes around most of the spots or to do everything separate? Bus is working out at just under £20 each at the minute which i think is a fair enough price considering I’ve never been before and not sure on where I’m going.

The most cost effective in my view would be to get the Welcome Card which included Public Transport. I tend to find the trains by far the easiest way to get around since there are extensive maps available to help you.

On 11/26/2018 at 14:41, Moo said:

5 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

The most cost effective in my view would be to get the Welcome Card which included Public Transport. I tend to find the trains by far the easiest way to get around since there are extensive maps available to help you.

I'd recommend the Welcome Card as well. Works for all trains, trams & buses and gives hefty discounts at plenty of shops, restaurants etc, and even for Hertha games, 25% off if I remember right. You can get a phone app as well that tells you where your nearest stop is and times etc, really handy.

I guess you're asking about a sightseeing bus though, can't help you there.

My hotel includes a free public transport ticket for our stay which I assume is the welcome card? I’ve had people who have been before saying take the sight seeing bus as you can get off at each stop for etc but I’ve not really seen someone say on here that they’ve done this.

Might just take the advice above and use the transport ticket to get about each spot.

• 1 month later...
Well?

Just seeing this now. Berlin was class and one of the best cities I’ve been to so far. I didn’t realise it was that big but the transport system helped a lot with getting about the different areas quite easily. But I felt like we rushed everything as in sight seeing etc to fast so I feel another trip may be on the cards again to take everything in once more.

The Xmas markets were really good, a lot of nice wee stalls where you sample local foods and could get all kinds of beer. There was a cracking beer which I really liked but I can’t remember he name of it off the top of my head. My mrs liked the mulled wine but the smell was giving me the boke by the end of the trip. We went to several markets throughout the city and everyone was different so it was a good experience. I’d recommend it to anyone to go over when the markets are on.

We also went to the Hertha v Frankfurt game and the stadium is fantastic (I’ll put a few pics up at the end). The price of beer and food was actually quite cheap. I think I had a beer and a bratwurst and it was about €7 which I thought was quite decent for a football game. The match itself was quite shite (Hertha won 1-0) and the security was a pain as you got thoroughly searched at two checkpoints before getting into the stadium which caused big q’s. I fully understand why though with the terrorist attacks over the past few years in Berlin.

Regarding the transport, we stayed in a hotel which provided a travel card which was really handy as we used the u-bahn and s-bahn everyday. But on arrival at Schonefield on the first day, we purchased train tickets from there to zoogarten where we were staying. We got on, everything was ok until I forgot to stamp the tickets. We could of got a €50/60 fine by luckily no warden came on to check.

Anyway we really enjoyed ourselves and we’d like to go back some time soon.

• 1 month later...
Guest bernardblack

Luckily getting to go to Berlin in April and will try to get to a Hertha game.

Anyone got advice for best way to get tickets etc?

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

Buying online is really easy or you can buy them at the various Hertha shops around the city.

https://www.herthabsc.de/en/tickets/matchday-tickets/matchday-tickets/page/25-1265-17--0.html

2 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Thanks in advance

There's a Hertha club shop in the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) and you can buy tickets there. If you buy a WelcomeCard for your trip, show them that at the shop and you get discount on the tickets.