Romeo

Going over in the second week of December with the Mrs for a wee break. Both of us have managed to bag a decent enough hotel which offers a free travel card for our stay there.
Hotel is right next to Kurfürstendamm shopping street. Is this a good area to stay in? Read most of this thread but still don’t get a good picture of where it is. Hotel has good enough reviews about location etc so hopefully it is.

Hertha play Eintracht on the Saturday so I shall be going to that.

3 hours ago, Moo said:

Going over in the second week of December with the Mrs for a wee break. Both of us have managed to bag a decent enough hotel which offers a free travel card for our stay there.
Hotel is right next to Kurfürstendamm shopping street. Is this a good area to stay in? Read most of this thread but still don’t get a good picture of where it is. Hotel has good enough reviews about location etc so hopefully it is.

Depends what you're into. It's mostly chain shops, Starbucks and Irish pubs round there. It's fairly generic and not my scene at all. Good transport links. I'm pretty sure there is a direct train from Zoo Garden to the Olympic stadium.

Like others on this thread i prefer wining and dining near the Kottbusser Tor or Warschauer Strasse railway stations as it's a bit more left field and generally cheaper.

I'm pretty sure there is a direct train from Zoo Garden to the Olympic stadium.

The S5 and S9

It's well worth downloading the BVG transport app as it covers everything transport related.

On 10/11/2018 at 14:07, stumigoo said:

Nah we didn't manage to stretch our budget to that but have ended up with a decent hotel by the looks of things, the Steigenberger AM which is right next to the central station and a 10 minute walk from the Brandenburg Gate and Reichstag. It looks like a good location for the museums and places I'm really keen to visit - 

- Topography of Terror

- Berlin Wall Memorial

- Jewish Memorial

- Checkpoint Charlie

- DDR Museum

They all seem to be under 30 minutes walk from our hotel which is great. Booked an Olympic Stadium tour and will try and convince my wife to take a trip to see Union Berlin's ground just so I can have a wander about.

Went to all of them bar the Topography and would recommend all of them bar Checkpoint Charlie which felt really tacky for some reason. The DDR Museum was cool although it reminded me of the People's Palace a little bit albeit for a society that doesn't exist anymore.

The massive feckin McDonalds at Checkpoint Charlie does tend to point towards the Commies having the right idea.

Topography of Terror is OK but be warned - when I was there they showed an actual video of some Jews being executed, I was like "its going to fade to black any second now..." and then they shot them. I actually said a loud swear word.

22 hours ago, drs said:

The massive feckin McDonalds at Checkpoint Charlie does tend to point towards the Commies having the right idea.

Topography of Terror is OK but be warned - when I was there they showed an actual video of some Jews being executed, I was like "its going to fade to black any second now..." and then they shot them. I actually said a loud swear word.

Checkpoint Charlie itself is tat personified, but the museum across the street from the aforementioned McDonalds is really interesting.  Haus am Checkpoint Charlie, I think it's called and covers numerous escape attempts from East into West Berlin.

On 16/10/2018 at 14:00, tongue_tied_danny said:

Depends what you're into. It's mostly chain shops, Starbucks and Irish pubs round there. It's fairly generic and not my scene at all. Good transport links. I'm pretty sure there is a direct train from Zoo Garden to the Olympic stadium.

Like others on this thread i prefer wining and dining near the Kottbusser Tor or Warschauer Strasse railway stations as it's a bit more left field and generally cheaper.

Can't recommend this enough. Said it many times but if you're not spending time in areas like Kreuzbeg, Neukoln,  and Friedrichsein you may as well be anywhere else in Germany once you've done all the historical stuff. 

Obviously the Mrs would probably like to do a bit of shopping but that would only be a few hours max and not the reason we’re there for.

Basically it’s a city we’ve never been to and one we’ve always wanted to go to. So we’ll be looking to get around the place and see all the tourist spots but also looking to enjoy ourselves by drinking and eating out. We were always looking go somewhere in Europe this year for the Xmas markets and Berlin has had great reviews apart from the obvious terror attack a few years ago. With Hertha being at home that weekend, I’ll be going to that.

I obviously don’t want to be paying over the odds for food and a pint so was wondering what areas were best and you obviously answered that in your reply. Usually when we’re both abroad we go down the back street boozers to get cheap food and drink anyway.

I’ve read most of the thread but most have different opinions on best area to go out in.

Currently in Berlin and staying by Alexanderplatz. I'm here for 3 days so just doing the main sights/museums. Like Keithgy, i'm unlikely to stray too far at night. Is this because I'm a typical brit abroad? No, it's because I just want a generic restaurant or quick bite to eat and a couple of beers. Getting a u bahn to some suburb for a hipster bar or underground techno club isn't going to enhance my experience. I've been traveling around Asia and South/Central America. A slightly offbeat bit of a generic European capital isn't going to be a cultural awakening

They're not 'suburbs' at all - they're just other, less shit parts of the city core; it's like taking the Subway from Buchanan Street to Hillhead or somewhere rather than traipsing to TGI Fridays and Hard Rock Cafe like a welt. 

It's like having a pint at the Auctioneers as opposed to Brel.

The idea that having two pints with the same company at one pub is significantly better than having two pints at another is the reserve of inter-rail wankers and c***s

If one pub is good and the other is shite then of course it is - it’s the same process as choosing a good place to eat rather than a shitehole. f**k knows why you even bother to leave your doorstep given that logic tbh.

The fact that you think going anywhere outside of Alexanderplatz in Germany’s capital city is an intrepid and fruitless mission confirms that we’ll be filing your - entirely unprompted - mention of travelling to South America safely in the bin as well.

‘Day 74 - Santiago- had a shite pint of Heineken in the hotel bar again because it’s the same as everywhere else’. Thrilling stuff I’m sure.

11 hours ago, ScottR96 said:

Going over on Saturday for 5 days. Can't wait. 

Staying at Hotel Kiez Pension in Friedrichshain. Seemingly a good location for transport links but does anyone know the hotel/general area?

I've never stayed in that particular hotel but I am familiar with the area. Like you say there are good transport links. The bars and restaurants around boxhagener platz are around a five minute walk away. 

On 16/10/2018 at 10:22, Moo said:

There's a Hertha Club Shop in Hauptbahnhof that you can get tickets from. You get discounted tickets with the Berlin Welcomecard.