Romeo

I stayed in a hotel that was close to KaDeWe and Nollendorfplatz railway station.  The hotel was nice (though only sold continental breakfast which I quite enjoyed) and upon check-in the receptionist (who was French) told me he'd never been to Scotland, but was a huge fan of Ian Rankin!  Anyway, prior to my visit, I looked up the hotel on Street View and noticed that the building next door was blurred out.  I put that down to the Germans being ultra-private, but all became clear when I arrived.  It was a sports shop that sold gym equipment...and other equipment!

15 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Yeah, some of these shops have got about nine or ten fridges full of beer and only one with soft drinks.:lol:

Going into one the shops and seeing a bottle for €0.63 was unreal. Next year when I’m back I’m buying a few and sticking them in the fridge in the hotel rather than paying €5 for a beer in the hotel.

On 08/09/2018 at 18:00, tongue_tied_danny said:

Agreed. Most of are bars around Boxhagener Platz were around 3.50 for a beer last time I was there.  Cheaper than I'm used to paying over here. Some of the places around Hackescher Markt were around 7 euros. Looks like Keith didn't travel off the beaten track...

Gonna give Boxhagner Platz next year seeing it’s not too far from the wall memorial.

• 4 weeks later...

I think just about the worst thing you can do is stick to the main tourist hubs like Alexanderplatz, you don’t get a real feel for the city and get fleeced into the bargain.

Was in Berlin a few months back and we did a U Bahn crawl so that we covered a few different areas, most of which off the beaten track. We ended up in Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain at night which I would recommend.

Going next week for a best of both worlds type trip. Part one is with the wife for four days without our 11 month old baby for the first time and then part two is when she leaves and then I'm on a mate's stag do for three days! No sure how I've ended up so lucky!

For part one a couple of questions for anyone who might have answers - Best place for German type food or relaxed type restaurants? I'm used to Munich and love Bavarian food so looking for something similar but also for a couple of decent restaurant options that aren't too expensive. Our hotel is next to the Brandenburg Gate if that helps in terms of location.

Question two is, what is the best option in terms of shops that sell loads of football gear? There's a couple of places in Munich I use but looking for a Berlin based shop or shops that sell different Bundesliga kits and/or general German football stuff. The more variation the better (or if there is a good official Adidas store or something).

Gutted I'm missing the football as the Hertha game is on the Sunday and that's when I leave. Particularly disappointed that I won't get to see Union as I've always wanted to go and see them.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

Going next week for a best of both worlds type trip. Part one is with the wife for four days without our 11 month old baby for the first time and then part two is when she leaves and then I'm on a mate's stag do for three days! No sure how I've ended up so lucky!

For part one a couple of questions for anyone who might have answers - Best place for German type food or relaxed type restaurants? I'm used to Munich and love Bavarian food so looking for something similar but also for a couple of decent restaurant options that aren't too expensive. Our hotel is next to the Brandenburg Gate if that helps in terms of location.

Question two is, what is the best option in terms of shops that sell loads of football gear? There's a couple of places in Munich I use but looking for a Berlin based shop or shops that sell different Bundesliga kits and/or general German football stuff. The more variation the better (or if there is a good official Adidas store or something).

Gutted I'm missing the football as the Hertha game is on the Sunday and that's when I leave. Particularly disappointed that I won't get to see Union as I've always wanted to go and see them.

Subside Sports have their own shop near the Kurfurstendamm U station. Never been in but there was loads of German tops in the window.

Viktoria Berlin play on the Friday night if you want to see a game, they only get crowds of 500 or so but they play down Tempelhof way which is decent enough for a few drinks and near enough to Kreuzberg and the like.

4 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Hertha have a shop in the Hauptbanhof.

5 hours ago, stumigoo said:

We went to this place a couple of times. Nothing fancy and the prices seemed reasonable at the time and the menu had a 100 beers (as the name would suggest). Not sure if it's be as handy for you as it's probably heading out of town whereas we were staying about the same distance away in the other direction.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-d9995435?m=19905

5 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Subside Sports have their own shop near the Kurfurstendamm U station. Never been in but there was loads of German tops in the window.

Viktoria Berlin play on the Friday night if you want to see a game, they only get crowds of 500 or so but they play down Tempelhof way which is decent enough for a few drinks and near enough to Kreuzberg and the like.

2 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Hertha have a shop in the Hauptbanhof.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

We went to this place a couple of times. Nothing fancy and the prices seemed reasonable at the time and the menu had a 100 beers (as the name would suggest). Not sure if it's be as handy for you as it's probably heading out of town whereas we were staying about the same distance away in the other direction.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-d9995435?m=19905

Brilliant, cheers for all the advice. I managed to track down a shop called "11 TeamSports" which looks pretty great for everything football related.  That restaurant looks great, especially with all the beer selection!

As for Hertha, I loved their kits a few seasons ago but their latest one is ruined by a  horrible sponsor (will still be having a look at their shop though).

6 hours ago, stumigoo said:

There's a restaurant in the Boxhagener Platz area called Spatzle & Knodel that does decent Bavarian stuff. 

Are you staying in the Adlon? There is quite a few sports shops in the big shopping centres. The Hertha shop in the europacenter is probably the best Hertha shop. There is an absolutely ridiculously huge Decathlon store down by the Rathaus next to the Tv tower.

Augustiner have a beer hall in Gendarmenmarkt which is decent.

16 hours ago, Waspy said:

Are you staying in the Adlon? There is quite a few sports shops in the big shopping centres. The Hertha shop in the europacenter is probably the best Hertha shop. There is an absolutely ridiculously huge Decathlon store down by the Rathaus next to the Tv tower.

Augustiner have a beer hall in Gendarmenmarkt which is decent.

Nah we didn't manage to stretch our budget to that but have ended up with a decent hotel by the looks of things, the Steigenberger AM which is right next to the central station and a 10 minute walk from the Brandenburg Gate and Reichstag. It looks like a good location for the museums and places I'm really keen to visit - 

- Topography of Terror

- Berlin Wall Memorial

- Jewish Memorial

- Checkpoint Charlie

- DDR Museum

They all seem to be under 30 minutes walk from our hotel which is great. Booked an Olympic Stadium tour and will try and convince my wife to take a trip to see Union Berlin's ground just so I can have a wander about.

4 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Nah we didn't manage to stretch our budget to that but have ended up with a decent hotel by the looks of things, the Steigenberger AM which is right next to the central station and a 10 minute walk from the Brandenburg Gate and Reichstag. It looks like a good location for the museums and places I'm really keen to visit - 

- Topography of Terror

- Berlin Wall Memorial

- Jewish Memorial

- Checkpoint Charlie

- DDR Museum

They all seem to be under 30 minutes walk from our hotel which is great. Booked an Olympic Stadium tour and will try and convince my wife to take a trip to see Union Berlin's ground just so I can have a wander about.

That hotel is a cracker. Great food and so central for everything in Berlin.

- Topography of Terror
 - Berlin Wall Memorial
 - Jewish Memorial
 - Checkpoint Charlie
 - DDR Museum

Topography of terror is well worth a visit, they now have a wee exhibition thing outside. I'm arriving Saturday for the Hertha game on the Sunday.