Romeo

Supposed to be the "new Berlin" as pretentious as that sounds. 

Yeah I've heard a few people say that. Property prices and rental rates are quite decent along with job prospects compared to Berlin which are ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Potsdam after a few on here suggested it to me, and it was well worth the trip! Absolutely beautiful place and just a half hour outside Berlin.

I also stopped eating meat about 4 months ago so was concerned about finding decent places to eat, but there’s a range of vegetarian places around, and ended up having amazing Vietnamese food. Even found a perfectly acceptable veggie currywurst!

We ate at a restaurant one night that offered me a free pint if I gave them a 5 star TripAdvisor review. Which is a pretty shitty thing to do, so I wrote the review, got the pint, and deleted the review before it got published. 1-0 me!

3 hours ago, Sooky said:

Went to Potsdam after a few on here suggested it to me, and it was well worth the trip! Absolutely beautiful place and just a half hour outside Berlin.

I also stopped eating meat about 4 months ago so was concerned about finding decent places to eat, but there’s a range of vegetarian places around, and ended up having amazing Vietnamese food. Even found a perfectly acceptable veggie currywurst!

We ate at a restaurant one night that offered me a free pint if I gave them a 5 star TripAdvisor review. Which is a pretty shitty thing to do, so I wrote the review, got the pint, and deleted the review before it got published. 1-0 me!

I recommended it without having been there, thanks for being a guinea pig! If you hadn't got a free pint as a bribe what would you have given them?

Veggie currywurst.......mods get the banhammer

• 2 weeks later...

Had my holiday there a week back and what a city. Crammed in alot in six days so hard to write it all down but definitely a city worth going. Probably better for those without kids.

Stayed in Challottenburg which is a bit meh. Apartment served us absolutely fine and area is decent enough but basically everything good is in the east so spent alot of times on the u-bahn, which wasn't great fun when it's 30 odd degrees every day. Will say like everyone else the transport is brilliant. I wouldn't bother with the welcome card unless hitting loads of touristy stuff and instead just get the ABC pass for seven days.

Food wise Santa Maria, Hoi Nam and Standard Serious Pizza were the standouts. Visited a f**k ton of outside bars that were all cool and like most spent alot on buying cheap decent beers from 24 hour shops and chilling on benches outside them. YAAM was a cool place to chill with its own man made beach thing built next to the river with everyone blazing. Prater Beer Garden is huge with a great atmosphere post six. Mobel Olfe was a decent boozer to chill at. RAW is this mad set of abondonded warehouses that have been converted into bars, clubs, a skatepark and a climbing wall. Burgermeister I found completely overrated. The kebabs as discussed are another level. Chicken doner like nothing else had before.

Club wise spent most time in Club De Visionaire which was very laidback and the last night in Berghain which was an experience. If you don't have fair exposure or interest in the electronic club scene here or elsewhere though the whole experience will be lost on you.

Touristy shit visited Museum for the Murdered Jews of Europe which was good if obviously grim, strolled around Tiergarten, strolled around the abandoned Airport and like everyone else saw the Brandenberg Gate.

Biggest downside to the city is flying out of Schoenfeld airport which is a thoroughly miserable experience, particularly when on a comedown.

7 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

Had my holiday there a week back and what a city. Crammed in alot in six days so hard to write it all down but definitely a city worth going. Probably better for those without kids.

Stayed in Challottenburg which is a bit meh. Apartment served us absolutely fine and area is decent enough but basically everything good is in the east so spent alot of times on the u-bahn, which wasn't great fun when it's 30 odd degrees every day. Will say like everyone else the transport is brilliant. I wouldn't bother with the welcome card unless hitting loads of touristy stuff and instead just get the ABC pass for seven days.

Food wise Santa Maria, Hoi Nam and Standard Serious Pizza were the standouts. Visited a f**k ton of outside bars that were all cool and like most spent alot on buying cheap decent beers from 24 hour shops and chilling on benches outside them. YAAM was a cool place to chill with its own man made beach thing built next to the river with everyone blazing. Prater Beer Garden is huge with a great atmosphere post six. Mobel Olfe was a decent boozer to chill at. RAW is this mad set of abondonded warehouses that have been converted into bars, clubs, a skatepark and a climbing wall. Burgermeister I found completely overrated. The kebabs as discussed are another level. Chicken doner like nothing else had before.

Club wise spent most time in Club De Visionaire which was very laidback and the last night in Berghain which was an experience. If you don't have fair exposure or interest in the electronic club scene here or elsewhere though the whole experience will be lost on you.

Touristy shit visited Museum for the Murdered Jews of Europe which was good if obviously grim, strolled around Tiergarten, strolled around the abandoned Airport and like everyone else saw the Brandenberg Gate.

Biggest downside to the city is flying out of Schoenfeld airport which is a thoroughly miserable experience, particularly when on a comedown.

I wasn't aware of RAW so I looked it up. Turns out its quite close to Warschauer railway station. I did notice a few bars etc in derelict buildings around there and some club called Suicide Circus. I may investigate further next time i'm over there.

How easy was it to get into clubs? I've heard some horror stories about Berghain. I'm too old for clubs (and drugs) now but I wouldnt mind checking it out. I can't be a rsed queuing for hours just to be telt to f**k off though...

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

I wasn't aware of RAW so I looked it up. Turns out its quite close to Warschauer railway station. I did notice a few bars etc in derelict buildings around there and some club called Suicide Circus. I may investigate further next time i'm over there.
How easy was it to get into clubs? I've heard some horror stories about Berghain. I'm too old for clubs (and drugs) now but I wouldnt mind checking it out. I can't be a rsed queuing for hours just to be telt to f**k off though...
Club De Visionaire were generally pretty chill assuming fit the bill. Saw a few youngsters or those too dressed up getting told to best it.

Berghain we went down about 1am on the Friday and queued for about 50 mins. While queuing could see people gettin turned away for unsurprising reasons ie just launching on some cheap black clothes from primark without considering what style the bouncers actually like. However some looked like typical Berlin clubbers and got turned away. Got closer to the front and me and my girlfriend stopped chatting and just acted chill. Got to the front and said "zwei bitte" and awaited the verdict from big Sven and his colleagues. While awaiting their judgement and watching them decide my fucking phone goes off. They all start pissing themselves laughing and the icy cool facade everyone is attempting is dropped and they waved in.

Nae danger mrcat got into Berghain :lol: Yeah chucking on the expected black Berlin outfit and being half pished will be a quick way to get rejected from there. 

Listened to a lot of Detroit/Tresor techno over the years but there's no chance I'd do a full night of it, closest I'd get is the Detroit House stuff like Theo Parrish, Moodymann etc. 

Last time me and my girlfriend went we stayed next to Warschauer, great area, like I said not my thing clubwise, but great for bars behind the station in the units and funny chatting to the techno tourists that hadn't slept in a couple of days. 

It's my favourite Euro city even though it's very white music wise. Humboldthain club near the station is good though and there's a few soul/funk spots around Kreuzberg/Neukoln. 

Going back in February.

Strictly for football and beer this time - Eisern Union!

Done the touristy stuff to death, will be nice to chill out more this time.

Going with a friend that used to live in Berlin so looking forward to getting off the beaten track for a few pubs etc.

Staying in Lichtenberg, but tbh its no hassle where you stay providing you are near an S or U-Bahn station.

14 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Going back in February.

Going with a friend that used to live in Berlin so looking forward to getting off the beaten track for a few pubs etc.

Staying in Lichtenberg, but tbh its no hassle where you stay providing you are near an S or U-Bahn station.

It'll be good going with a local. You'll get access to a few places where you have to ring a doorbell to get into. Might not be your thing but nice to have the option. 

Going on Sunday for a couple of nights - had our AirBnB cancelled due to some problem with the host, the language barrier from her phonecall this morning was a touch amusing for everyone else nearby. Got a room at the Park Inn on AlexanderPlatz, a safe option given the relatively last minute of the booking. 

Fair looking forward to seeing the city - contemplated a Union Berlin game but after the story from the first couple of pages, that's perhaps an experience I could do without given I'm taking my Mother. 

On 21/08/2018 at 14:33, BigTamMuller said:

Going on Sunday for a couple of nights - had our AirBnB cancelled due to some problem with the host, the language barrier from her phonecall this morning was a touch amusing for everyone else nearby. Got a room at the Park Inn on AlexanderPlatz, a safe option given the relatively last minute of the booking. 

Fair looking forward to seeing the city - contemplated a Union Berlin game but after the story from the first couple of pages, that's perhaps an experience I could do without given I'm taking my Mother. 

You wouldn't have gotten near the game this weekend anyway (v St. Pauli). It sold out without a public sale.

I doubt you'd have any trouble tbf - unless your mother looks like a hooligan.

Hertha Berlin II are at home to Viktoria Berlin at 2.30 on Sunday, in the Amateurstadion (behind the Olympiastadion) if you needed your fix. Technically you can see into the ground without paying, though stewards might move you on.

Going back in February.

Pop along and see Lichtenberg47 in the oberliga Nord.

34 minutes ago, Waspy said:

Pop along and see Lichtenberg47 in the oberliga Nord.

Depending on the day of the Union game, BFC Dynamo v Chemnitzer, Babelsberg 03 v Berliner AK or Viktoria Berlin v Rathenow are on the possible list.

Oberliga teams seem to be on a winter break at that time.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Depending on the day of the Union game, BFC Dynamo v Chemnitzer, Babelsberg 03 v Berliner AK or Viktoria Berlin v Rathenow are on the possible list.
Oberliga teams seem to be on a winter break at that time.

Some decent options there.

Nae danger mrcat got into Berghain [emoji38] Yeah chucking on the expected black Berlin outfit and being half pished will be a quick way to get rejected from there. 
Listened to a lot of Detroit/Tresor techno over the years but there's no chance I'd do a full night of it, closest I'd get is the Detroit House stuff like Theo Parrish, Moodymann etc. 
Last time me and my girlfriend went we stayed next to Warschauer, great area, like I said not my thing clubwise, but great for bars behind the station in the units and funny chatting to the techno tourists that hadn't slept in a couple of days. 
It's my favourite Euro city even though it's very white music wise. Humboldthain club near the station is good though and there's a few soul/funk spots around Kreuzberg/Neukoln. 

Ya boi danced about like a sweaty b*****d in the Panorama and looked confused when stumbling across the shagging seats and seeing some girl legs akimbo getting eaten out. Big Sven kens I'm part of his dance vision.