Open Letters - Attention seeking pish?

Romeo

The  trend of publishing open letters seems to be more popular than ever, I note this effort from the Bush daughters to the Obama daughters published in Time magazine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/38611031/the-bush-sisters-wrote-this-touching-letter-to-sasha-and-malia-obama

Why not write to them directly?

Why do people do this?

Attention seeking pish I say.

Have any P&Bers had an open letter published? Have you been the subject of an open letter?

Open letters are usually written by full time yummy mummy types on Facebook who write a 600 word essay of sheer seethe and verge of tears material which tells the story of the 16 year-old customer service assistant at Primark who wouldn't refund their pack of 5 pairs of white trainer socks.

PosterMaker-1484333219552-360x203.jpg

Romeo

The Internet 

13 January 2017 

Dear @Romeo

Re:    Open letters 

It is with a heavy heart that I write to you today, you are indeed correct, there has been an upturn in open letter writing in recent years.  

It would appear to be part of social media culture where it is a "letter" in name only.  Typed with only one space after a full stop and  referencing names rather than addressing them, we are only really talking about a public post here, something you could have shared on your Facebook or a blog.  

In the example you have provided it is a classic case of attention seeking, who knew or remembered that Bush had children, and who even cares. 

Yours faithfully

Itzdrk 

Enc:    1 + rep

No "normal" people write open letters to the press; or, at least, they are never published.  You have to be professor / lord / lady or have some worthless list of letters after your name.  Social media has made open letter writing accessible to all.  What a joy.

Archived