Queens v Dundee Utd - IRNBRU Semi Final

Homer Thompson

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...but why he kept Dowie's clearance in play for the second, I've no idea.

Amazing how we all watch the same game but see things so differently. I thought Dowie had intentionally kneed the ball to Higgins. From where I was that's what I thought. It never occurred to me that Higgins had tried to keep it in. Even so, Dowie has got to be making sure the ball goes out from there. I'll need to rewatch that incident to see if I change my opinion on it.

I'm still going to put part of the blame on Marshall though. :lol:

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Amazing how we all watch the same game but see things so differently. I thought Dowie had intentionally kneed the ball to Higgins. From where I was that's what I thought. It never occurred to me that Higgins had tried to keep it in. Even so, Dowie has got to be making sure the ball goes out from there. I'll need to rewatch that incident to see if I change my opinion on it.

I'm still going to put part of the blame on Marshall though. :lol:

I'll admit I've watched it back, but it was how I saw it first time too.  At first viewing though, I was mad at Higgins for the first goal as well, but now I reckon he was a bit unfortunate.

Both goals were awful though and involved calamitous 'interplay' between the two central defenders.

1 hour ago, Sloop John B said:

The defensive performance in the first half was about as bad as you'll see really. It was like they didn't understand how to play in the rain and that passing it around without much conviction would work against a team that was in their faces. Hammill played so badly that I missed Mark Millar. He was better in the second half but that is like saying the Battle of  Ypres was better than the Somme. How did he manage to play for as long as he did as a CM at the top flight. Playing Murray was a brave call but it was far too soon for him and Danny for all his faults would at least be better at covering Marshall.

An encouraging thing despite a very weakened line up was that we kept going and at least gave a better account of ourselves that may have been assisted by United's noble attempts at capitulation but previous teams would have. But all in all the performance was rather St Mirreny.

Danny wasn't fit to start and had a fitness test pre match before he even got as far as the bench.

Without wanting to come over all Arsene Wenger, I didn't see the first two goals so can't comment on them. I wasn't even out before the first and had to go deal with a problem while we lost the second. I'm told they were horror shows. Will watch them later.

I thought we actually played pretty well and should certainly have scored first half. If Dobbie or Lyle make it 3-2 with half an hour to go in that "stramash" I'd genuinely have fancied us to take it. Even as late as we did pull it back to 3-2 Dobbie still had a fine hit from the edge of the box that struck a defender. Was it on target? I doubt Zwick was getting anywhere near it. Disappointing.

Two United players with a banner saying 'We're In The Final' being held up to the United fans. Presumably this was for those among the travelling support who were unsure what winning the semi final meant

1228ab520c382d908d164faa1db40bc9.jpg

"Aw Ffs... do we have to?"

1 hour ago, Q0S-RUSH said:

Barring the first 20mins that turned out to be quite an enjoyable game. Iwould even go as far to say we were the better team over 90mins. No real complaints about the result though so good luck to United in the final. On a side note Lee Robinsons going to get penalised for his antics some day there,s no need for pushing opposing players to the ground all the time.

There's no antics there at all he runs to release the ball a player tries to block him so continues his run and flattens him.

What's the problem ?

Dillon's lived here long enough to know that this tournament is a fucking embarassment...

I'm not a huge fan of this tournament and wouldn't be bothered if it stopped but I don't agree it's an "embarrassment".

It's no worse than the league cup and I'd say the league cup is a more pointless tournament. The Challenge Cup serves a purpose in that it gives us diddy teams a chance at silverware. The League cup is just another tournament where we're hoping for a big payday. The money at the end will obviously be better than the CC but what do you get at the end, a trophy? Surely even an automatic spot in the 5th round of the following years SC would be some sort of enticement.

I'd actually be content just having the Scottish Cup tbh. At the start of the season when we have the LC and CC games to play I find them tedious and would sooner we had league games.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Utd battered our left side in the first half. I don't think it was coincidence. I won't go on and on as it's pretty clear I don't rate Marshall so I won't verbally batter the boy.

Thomas was one of our better performers though. He'll be another big miss if we can't keep hold of him next season.

We beat ourselves before we started today. Woeful defending. I've no idea why the hell Dowie kneed the ball to Higgins in such an area. Knock it out for a corner FFS. Murray bypassed Marshall (sorry) without him knowing, to deliver the ball so he's equally to blame. I can't recall the first goal, only that it was a shot from the left hand side (never!). Andreu's came from that side as well (away!) but in fairness it was a thing of beauty. We battered them for the next 45 minutes and had Dobbie not blasted over I reckon we'd have at least got to ET today. I'm just happy we gave a better account of ourselves in the second half and as a result I find it difficult to be pissed off. The saving grace being we won't have to see that lineup again this season. I hope Celtic are keen on loaning Thomson out for another year.

Don't you think the manager should take a lot of responsibility for the way he set the team up.

He played a back 4 that included 3 centre half's and played Hamill in midfield.

He has Robinson constantly kicking the ball into an area with around 16 players in it, hoping he can find Luke's head.

I don't doubt that he has brought in a couple of  good loanees in Thompson and Thomas , Rankin  looks a little better than Hamill in midfield and Mercer Is average .

There's no antics there at all he runs to release the ball a player tries to block him so continues his run and flattens him.
What's the problem ?

There absolutely is "antics" there. 'keepers have to protect themselves but Robinson makes a point of running in the direction of the attacker and not away from him. He'll eventually get booked for it. There was a game at Palmerston a while back when he took an attacker clean out, actually moving in the direction of the attacker who wasn't even near him. Can't recall who it was against. It's totally needless from him.

Don't you think the manager should take a lot of responsibility for the way he set the team up.
He played a back 4 that included 3 centre half's and played Hamill in midfield.
He has Robinson constantly kicking the ball into an area with around 16 players in it, hoping he can find Luke's head.
I don't doubt that he has brought in a couple of  good loanees in Thompson and Thomas , Rankin  looks a little better than Hamill in midfield and Mercer Is average .

Wind up surely?

There absolutely is "antics" there. 'keepers have to protect themselves but Robinson makes a point of running in the direction of the attacker and not away from him. He'll eventually get booked for it. There was a game at Palmerston a while back when he took an attacker clean out, actually moving in the direction of the attacker who wasn't even near him. Can't recall who it was against. It's totally needless from him.

Imagine if a keeper with a bit of weight and strength behind them did what Robinson does. For example, Rab Douglas. It'd be deemed assault as the player is stretchered off.

Robinson has always been a bit of an attention seeking fanny though.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Hold on a minute, there's a referee there and on not occasion  have I ever seen them EVEN having a word with a keeper, never mind a caution where there is obviously an attempt of a player blocking a keeper  off. 

You are a worrier., relax 

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yes, it's totally unnecessary and could land him in trouble.  A penalty could even result, depending on how such antics are viewed.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Imagine if a keeper with a bit of weight and strength behind them did what Robinson does. For example, Rab Douglas. It'd be deemed assault as the player is stretchered off.

Robinson has always been a bit of an attention seeking fanny though.

What a load of balaerics.

You run out to play as n early ball someone tries to stop you ,you flatten them ,big deal 

The referees didn't  have a problem , what's yours  nobby

Archived