Do I not like that?!

8MileBU

29 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Was hilariously bad as England manager but he was very decent at club level and thought he was a good pundit as well.

Agree with that. Was out of his depth at International level. Also came across as a decent human being as a pundit imo. RIP

2 hours ago, sjc said:

Agree with that. Was out of his depth at International level. Also came across as a decent human being as a pundit imo. RIP

To be fair to him Carlton Palmer and David Batty were first choice picks in the England midfield at that time.

Yes, people forget that many of the key players who did well in 1990 retired from international football, went shit or got injured during his tenure, while the majority of the squad that did well in 1996 had yet to develop into international quality players.

He didn't have a lot to work with, and was a bit unlucky too... they really could've taken 4 or 6 points off the Netherlands and only ended up with one.

Yes, people forget that many of the key players who did well in 1990 retired from international football, went shit or got injured during his tenure, while the majority of the squad that did well in 1996 had yet to develop into international quality players.

He didn't have a lot to work with, and was a bit unlucky too... they really could've taken 4 or 6 points off the Netherlands and only ended up with one.

Not to mention England were dire in 88 and were fairly fortunate to reach semis on 90. Arguably their best performance was v Germany. Prior to that it was all a bit of a scramble with some kind refereeing.

2 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Not to mention England were dire in 88 and were fairly fortunate to reach semis on 90. Arguably their best performance was v Germany. Prior to that it was all a bit of a scramble with some kind refereeing.

Very, very lucky to get past both Belgium and Cameroon, especially the Belgians which I remember as basically daylight robbery.....OK, floodlit robbery.

As mentioned, everyone seemed to think he was a decent guy, even when it would have been easy to shit all over him, and he was undeniably a good club manager, with success even after the England fiasco. Like Bobby Robson, he didn't get a lot of respect from the England squad, which seems to be a common problem for them. The press corp is full of self-interested c***s who'd slit their granny's throat for a story, but the folk who harassed his family are worse.

He should always be a hero in Scotland for this effort too, although it was borne of the players' arrogance. Worth remembering that, had results gone their way elsewhere, this goal would have eliminated England from the World Cup, as they needed to win by seven goals and won 7-1. Minter.

I really liked listening to Graham Taylor talk about football on 5Live and he made a decent co-commentator. He was concise, reasonably witty, extremely intelligent. He commanded respect but didn't demand it. He could construct an argument and relay his opinion without having to be a controversial twat(Sutton), or be downright cynical(Lawrenson).
The tabloid media treated him horribly. That's their style with anybody that's more articulate than they are. I'd like to think it didn't phase Taylor in later life.

I really liked listening to Graham Taylor talk about football on 5Live and he made a decent co-commentator. He was concise, reasonably witty, extremely intelligent. He commanded respect but didn't demand it. He could construct an argument and relay his opinion without having to be a controversial twat(Sutton), or be downright cynical(Lawrenson).
The tabloid media treated him horribly. That's their style with anybody that's more articulate than they are. I'd like to think it didn't phase Taylor in later life.

Good post. Also quite liked listening to him on 5Live. I think his sharp wit was probably his strongest point, but when it came down to the nitty gritty football chat, he was the only pundit/commentator that was spot on every time. Like you said, always put his points across well without resorting to being a dick.

Archived