Clyde v Montrose

Let's be honest if we were 10 points clear at the top we wouldn't be discussing this, fans only care about the results,  how the clubs run was never questioned.  Ronnie was no angel nor the messiah people salivate about but he got things done.

Much like the first team we have no plan B we need new fresh ideas and leadership on the board to carry the club forward, we should have sacked ferguson after the Stirling game but with no money left I don't think we can afford to and now it sounds like he's pulling favours to cover the wage bills of new players. 

The Rutherglen mob have their best opportunity to stage something but I doubt they'll do anything and just continue spouting their pish in the local media. 

Paul shields 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Only one David Marsh said:

Let's be honest if we were 10 points clear at the top we wouldn't be discussing this, fans only care about the results,  how the clubs run was never questioned.  Ronnie was no angel nor the messiah people salivate about but he got things done.

10 pts clear of the league above, aye probably, but likely we'd be getting run right for that to happen

And you're right, he wasn't, but the club was on its knees and begged the guy to come in and sort it out which he did on and off the park before he resigned. And rightly so. I've heard the full story from the man responsible at the time for awarding the SFA funding for youth development. 

All this pish about how he then tried to destroy Clyde. He knew the club didn't have it's house in order, players were only on year long contracts, had mortgages and needed better deals. It was there on a plate. Why shouldn't he, his interest was what was best for Hamilton. Wouldn't have heard any complaints if it was the other way round

Take care of your own business, and that kind of thing can't happen. Own your mistakes and less likely to repeat them - instead of trying to falsely re-write history like Harry the Headache yesterday

Much like the first team we have no plan B we need new fresh ideas and leadership on the board to carry the club forward, we should have sacked ferguson after the Stirling game but with no money left I don't think we can afford to and now it sounds like he's pulling favours to cover the wage bills of new players. 
The Rutherglen mob have their best opportunity to stage something but I doubt they'll do anything and just continue spouting their pish in the local media. 
Paul shields 

Have a look where Hamilton are and where we are right now

That's right he was ( is) nothing special

And what was our plan change the name
Ha Ha

10 pts clear of the league above, aye probably, but likely we'd be getting run right for that to happen
And you're right, he wasn't, but the club was on its knees and begged the guy to come in and sort it out which he did on and off the park before he resigned. And rightly so. I've heard the full story from the man responsible at the time for awarding the SFA funding for youth development. 
All this pish about how he then tried to destroy Clyde. He knew the club didn't have it's house in order, players were only on year long contracts, had mortgages and needed better deals. It was there on a plate. Why shouldn't he, his interest was what was best for Hamilton. Wouldn't have heard any complaints if it was the other way round
Take care of your own business, and that kind of thing can't happen. Own your mistakes and less likely to repeat them - instead of trying to falsely re-write history like Harry the Headache yesterday

Spot on

Harry the Headache here.

BC as you and others have said Ronnie MacDonald gave us a couple of great years but the issue of the youth development money is not as black and white as you would have us believe,there were faults on both sides of this disagreement between Ronnie and BIlly Carmichael.

As it happens I was closely involved with Clyde at this time and was sponsoring pre season facilities and accommodation for Gardner Speirs and the squad.Ronnie came in,the team did not turn up for pre season training leaving myself and my management team in an extremely difficult position.Ronnie phoned me the Friday before he had his open day at Broadwood not to apologise for the non appearance etc but to ask me what I thought of the money being paid to first team players-why I have no idea.

Ronnie's ruthlessness was pretty vicious as can be seen by the way he got rid of an extremely well respected physio and a real Clyde legend called John Donnelly.

You may or not have been at Ronnie's first meeting with fans when he laid out his philosophy about how he saw the future for Clyde whilst advising everyone that he had no real interest in senior football and that when his time at Clyde came to an end that would be it for him.Like many others he had me eating out of his hand.

I'll take Ronnie's style of football and that feel good factor any day as long as it is not him delivering it.

Find this incredible fans come on and Slag off guys who won us our last promotion and people who put in there own money albeit ending in a mess

But for the past God knows how many years let a board put the club into a coma sucker them into a name change
And hail them as heroes any dissenting voices shouted down

Only at Clyde :(

I don' t understand your point Cfcuk. The Club had a good run under Ronnie MacDonald but an even more exciting run under AK.The common factor is both were appointed by Billy Carmichael -who by the way put in considerable sums of money which he never recovered.Many of our problems today arise out of BC's decision to overlook paying our bills and investing everything in an almost successful attempt at getting us into the Premier League.When the chickens came home to roost and we almost went out of business our most recent Chairman,along with others,did a magnificent job in keeping us afloat albeit at the cost of investment in the team.We are still paying for decisions taken by a previous administration and many fans seem to be conveniently forgetting this point.

You are right that the proposed name change has and continues to be contentious and our lack of commitment to Cumbernauld has cost us dearly.

It would appear I have irritated a number of people with my contention on another forum that SA seem to have got off lightly re the non payment of debt and my apparent lack of gratitude for what Ronnie MacDonald achieved but I don't think I slagged him off.

Anyway never mind the above. Here's hoping for a large and noisy support at Stirling on Saturday.

11 minutes ago, Harry Haddock said:

Harry the Headache here.

BC as you and others have said Ronnie MacDonald gave us a couple of great years but the issue of the youth development money is not as black and white as you would have us believe,there were faults on both sides of this disagreement between Ronnie and BIlly Carmichael.

As it happens I was closely involved with Clyde at this time and was sponsoring pre season facilities and accommodation for Gardner Speirs and the squad.Ronnie came in,the team did not turn up for pre season training leaving myself and my management team in an extremely difficult position.Ronnie phoned me the Friday before he had his open day at Broadwood not to apologise for the non appearance etc but to ask me what I thought of the money being paid to first team players-why I have no idea.

Ronnie's ruthlessness was pretty vicious as can be seen by the way he got rid of an extremely well respected physio and a real Clyde legend called John Donnelly.

You may or not have been at Ronnie's first meeting with fans when he laid out his philosophy about how he saw the future for Clyde whilst advising everyone that he had no real interest in senior football and that when his time at Clyde came to an end that would be it for him.Like many others he had me eating out of his hand.

I'll take Ronnie's style of football and that feel good factor any day as long as it is not him delivering it.

Yes Harry, I'm fully aware of what happened and as I said, that includes information from the person involved at the SFA

Your post is a good example of the problem. I didn't have any involvement with the man so no personal axe to grind

The history is clear as to why he was brought in and what he achieved in a relatively short time. He identified problems and fixed them. Often those who build businesses and make things happen will have an edge to them. That's what it takes. If some noses get put out of joint in the process, it's unfortunate but necessary. 

You don't always hire people because you like them, you hire them because they deliver. It's that simple

By contrast we now have a nice little coffee morning committee, all very democratic and stylish, plaudits for a day from the outside world....and a complete shambles because it could never work unless by complete luck success stories were involved

Barcelona aren't a comparison. A group of around 30 successful young businessmen came in, sorted the place out and made it fan owned in as much as only key decisions such as the increase in capacity were put to vote. In real terms it's run in a traditional way, and the fans are happy because those in charge proved themselves and showed real leadership. The fans are not being asked to do this, that and the next thing, they leave that up to those in charge who have continually earned the right to do so

As for the claim NLL were determined to see Clyde in liquidation, to what end? A public sector organization accountable to taxpayers happy to see a source of private sector revenue disappear?  Well they seem more positive now - there again they were in dialogue with someone who had the first idea what he was doing

32 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

The Accies owners are worse than the oystons at Blackpool crook c***s that shouldn't be anywhere near a football club - From just one accie (Just saying)

Entirely possible

Mr W Hamilton sounds an interestin character

:o:lol:

What is it about being a CIC would put off a potential investor? I've seen this repeated many times but can't see any good reason to back it up.

If someone rocked up with a £5million cheque in his pocket and said he wanted to run the club then the current board just need to appoint him to the board then resign their positions. Potentially allowing someone to take control of a football club with nothing but a £35 outlay.

Granted, if it goes tits up then they could be voted out by the owners but given that no one has been voted off the board in recent years then they're not likely to vote someone out who's pouring money in and taking the club places.

If I was a multi millionaire and I walked into Broadwood tomorrow and told Clyde I was going to put my kids inheritance into the club but I wanted my own board; in what possible universe would I be knocked back?

The problem Clyde have is not the CIC. It's the fact that as a football club they have zero going for them. If I invested my fortune into Clyde I would first have to build a new stadium or otherwise all my money is just going to be put to the playing squad because there isn't any money coming in from elsewhere. My only hope of getting more funds in other than my own would be to get more fans through the gates and hope I can get a bit more for shirt sponsorship. Where else would the money come from? There is no infrastructure there that can be invested in to improve the club other than by leaving Broadwood and starting again.
It would be pouring money down a black hole. Short term success might be possible with a cash injection but unless something fundamental changes in the clubs infrastructure then that success would just be followed by a tumble back down the leagues or worse.

Unless I was a Clyde fan there would be a lot more Scottish clubs that would be more attractive for investment.

There is no infrastructure there that can be invested in to improve the club other than by leaving Broadwood and starting again.

This is, in my opinion, the main issue for the club. The reason we struggle financially. We need to get out of Broadwood.

The knock on from this influences everything else at the club from playing staff, ability to sack/hire managers, sponsorship, spectator experience due to lack of atmosphere and potential board members.

What is it about being a CIC would put off a potential investor? I've seen this repeated many times but can't see any good reason to back it up.

If someone rocked up with a £5million cheque in his pocket and said he wanted to run the club then the current board just need to appoint him to the board then resign their positions. Potentially allowing someone to take control of a football club with nothing but a £35 outlay.

Granted, if it goes tits up then they could be voted out by the owners but given that no one has been voted off the board in recent years then they're not likely to vote someone out who's pouring money in and taking the club places.

If I was a multi millionaire and I walked into Broadwood tomorrow and told Clyde I was going to put my kids inheritance into the club but I wanted my own board; in what possible universe would I be knocked back?

The problem Clyde have is not the CIC. It's the fact that as a football club they have zero going for them. If I invested my fortune into Clyde I would first have to build a new stadium or otherwise all my money is just going to be put to the playing squad because there isn't any money coming in from elsewhere. My only hope of getting more funds in other than my own would be to get more fans through the gates and hope I can get a bit more for shirt sponsorship. Where else would the money come from? There is no infrastructure there that can be invested in to improve the club other than by leaving Broadwood and starting again.
It would be pouring money down a black hole. Short term success might be possible with a cash injection but unless something fundamental changes in the clubs infrastructure then that success would just be followed by a tumble back down the leagues or worse.

Unless I was a Clyde fan there would be a lot more Scottish clubs that would be more attractive for investment.

You could buy the stadium off the council and allow the club to use it rent free [emoji6]

I think there would be more interest in joining the board of they weren't continuously criticised for what mainly (not all) is due to a lack of money to invest in the club.

Maybe you can tell me the benefit of paying for a stadium that is more than 10x too large for our support. Even if we we successful it would still be 5x too large.

I'd rather a smaller stadium that generates revenue as opposed to sucking us dry.

Incidently, the atmosphere is like a morgue.

I think there would be more interest in joining the board of they weren't continuously criticised for what mainly (not all) is due to a lack of money to invest in the club.
Maybe you can tell me the benefit of paying for a stadium that is more than 10x too large for our support. Even if we we successful it would still be 5x too large.
I'd rather a smaller stadium that generates revenue as opposed to sucking us dry.
Incidently, the atmosphere is like a morgue.

So how does a smaller stadium generate
Money ?

You wouldn't be starting the season looking for tens of thousands of pounds in rent.
Maybe a new stadium would allow us to keep more revenue that we generate.
Broadwood is a white elephant. It's too big and too expensive.
Same goes for Airdrie's stadium and Livingston's.

In saying that, we should only move if we get a better deal elsewhere.

9 hours ago, haufdaft said:

You wouldn't be starting the season looking for tens of thousands of pounds in rent.
Maybe a new stadium would allow us to keep more revenue that we generate.
Broadwood is a white elephant. It's too big and too expensive.
Same goes for Airdrie's stadium and Livingston's.

In saying that, we should only move if we get a better deal elsewhere.

The Shettleston thing dead?

Archived