On This Day...

Guest JTS98

On this day in 1996 Hearts cuffed Rangers 3-0 at Ibrox and Alan Johnston scored a hat-trick. First time I ever saw Hearts win at Ibrox. By this point the changes JJ was making to Hearts were beginning to show signs of producing something. I remember leaving Ibrox that day and my dad confidently assuring me that Jefferies would win something for Hearts. It really was an excellent performance.

Had to defend well at times and Rousset had an important save from Laudrup, but it was a very good, positive performance from Hearts who could have scored a few more. Johnston could have had another goal, Colquhoun missed a good chance, Lawrence too. Tremendous day for Hearts.

Hearts beat Rangers again later in the season (joining only Juventus in humping them home and away that season) before being gubbed by them in the cup final. On both of the occasions that Hearts beat Rangers, Celtic failed to take advantage by drawing with Kilmarnock. If Celtic had beaten Killie on this day in 1996, they'd have leapfrogged Rangers to go top. The points dropped to Killie in these games were very costly for Celtic as Rangers won the league by four points to make it eight in a row.

Two of Rangers' line-up (Petric and Durie) went on to play for Hearts. Both quite forgettably.

20/01/1996 was quite a dull day in the Premier Division, this surprise result aside. All ten teams played, but seven of them failed to score. Aberdeen beat Partick Thistle 1-0 and Raith beat Falkirk 1-0. Aside from these games there were no goals.

• 3 weeks later...

On this day in 2000 Hearts came from 2-0 down to win at Celtic Park with a fine performance that seemed to suddenly come from nowhere after an absolutely guff opening to the match. The winner coming from a Colin Cameron penalty. Cameron must surely enter the Scottish Football Hall of Fame for this, as he also scored a penalty for Hearts at Ibrox in that season's Scottish Cup. Surely not many players have scored a penalty for the opposition at both grounds in one season.

Hearts' equaliser was a fine goal by Gary Naysmith. I remember being at this game and the raw excitement of the afternoon as Hearts gradually clawed their way back into it and suddenly looked like winning. A great day at the football.

The result left Celtic 9 points behind Rangers having played a game more. Tea was soon oot for John Barnes. Sadly for Hearts, our win seemed a bit less impressive when ICT went to Parkhead the following midweek and pumped Celtic 3-1. To be fair, ICT went into that game on a high, having pumped Airdrie 4-1 away from home on this day.

Other games in the SPL that day saw Dundee win 3-0 at Fir Park and Aberdeen beat St Johnstone in front of over 17,000 at Pittodrie. Changed days! That win lifted Aberdeen off the bottom of the league.

The win helped Hearts claw back some space on Motherwell and Dundee United. Hearts eventually over-hauled both to finish in third place, earning the right to be knocked out of the UEFA Cup by Stuttgart in exciting fashion the following September.

Another notable comeback in Scottish football on the same day occurred at Ochilview, where Clyde came from 3-0 down to win 4-3 in the second division. Hearts and Clyde met in the Scottish Cup at Broadwood not long after, Hearts winning 2-0. Current top flight sides Hamilton and Ross County were in action in the second division. Accies drew 2-2 with Arbroath while County beat QotS 2-0.

Edited by JTS98

• 2 weeks later...

Saints On This Day ‏@SaintsOTD 
Saints travel to Liverpool for a friendly on this day in 1928. 30,000 watch the English side triumph by 3 goals to 2.

https://playupliverpool.com/1928/02/18/liverpool-v-st-johnstone-3-2-friendly-match/?platform=hootsuite

Mereyside comes out to see Saints play their 'carpet' game, teach Liverpool how to play football but suffer a glorious defeat. Obviously not much has changed.

On 20/01/2017 at 06:30, JTS98 said:

On this day in 1996 Hearts cuffed Rangers 3-0 at Ibrox and Alan Johnston scored a hat-trick. First time I ever saw Hearts win at Ibrox. By this point the changes JJ was making to Hearts were beginning to show signs of producing something. I remember leaving Ibrox that day and my dad confidently assuring me that Jefferies would win something for Hearts. It really was an excellent performance.

I remember watching the highlights of that game on sportscene.

I seem to recall at the time they were saying Johnston was the first visiting player to score a hat-trick at ibrox since (the) Alex Ferguson for St Johnstone in the early 70's.  Is this correct?

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I remember watching the highlights of that game on sportscene.

I seem to recall at the time they were saying Johnston was the first visiting player to score a hat-trick at ibrox since (the) Alex Ferguson for St Johnstone in the early 70's.  Is this correct?

Ferguson claimed in his book to have been the first player to do that.  It then became 'fact' and was even an answer to a question on A Question of Sport.

He wasn't though.  Gilzean had done it a decade earlier and I think there may have been others.

Yes im sure there would have been players before Ferguson to do it, but I was asking if he was the last player to do so up until Johnston did it for Hearts....

Yes, I know you were, but I said something else that didn't answer your question, but was clearly related.

You see, I can read too.

38 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ferguson claimed in his book to have been the first player to do that.  It then became 'fact' and was even an answer to a question on A Question of Sport.

He wasn't though.  Gilzean had done it a decade earlier and I think there may have been others.

None of this hat-trick pish - Gillie scored four that day

Edited by davidy233

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Indeed.

That's not what PauloPerth asked though, so you'll need to be quiet.

Yes, I know, but I said something else that didn't answer his question, but was clearly related to your post ;-)

...and seeing as we are going off topic - is it worth watching your lot tonight?

29 minutes ago, davidy233 said:

Yes, I know, but I said something else that didn't answer his question, but was clearly related to your post ;-)

...and seeing as we are going off topic - is it worth watching your lot tonight?

Depends.

Some of the players that have seen us recover in recent weeks, are cup tied, so I'm not that confident.  We'll see though.

Whatever happens, it'll have happened on this day in 2017.

• 2 months later...
Guest JTS98

Ten years ago today.

Hearts win 3-1 at Celtic Park to unexpectedly put themselves back into the mix for a European place towards the end of a pretty brutal season.

The season started on a high with Champions League qualifiers and a well-deserved win over Celtic at Tynecastle. That was pretty much it. Knocked out the League Cup by Hibs at Easter Road in a baffling display, knocked out the Scottish Cup (which Hearts were defending) by a to-be-relegated Dunfermline team who ended up in the final. Hearts stumbled along in the league playing poorly and getting nowhere near enough out of what was - on paper - a decent squad.

Hartley and Pressley had gone to Celtic and following on from Skacel leaving the previous summer the squad wasn't as strong as the previous year. That said, it probably shouldn't have been finishing fourth behind a no more than decent Aberdeen side.

High points included this win, as well as a good derby season. Hearts came from 2-0 down to get a draw at Easter Rd despite Miko being sent off at 2-1, beat Hibs in what I still think is one of the best Scottish matches of modern times on Boxing Day, then beat Hibs home and away again for good measure.  Three fun European trips too.

Low points included an inexplicable loss at home to St Mirren despite it being surely one of the most one-sided games in the history of football, and both cup exits already mentioned.

On this weekend there were two 3-3 draws in the SPL. Hibs v Rangers and Motherwell v Falkirk.

In the wider footballing world the previous week had seen European Cup and UEFA Cup semi finals. Of the four semi finals across the two competitions 3 of the eventual finalists lost their first-leg tie.

• 2 months later...
Guest JTS98

Apparently (according to Twitter) it was on this day 17 years ago that Hibernian sold Paul Hartley to St Johnstone.

What could go wrong?

• 1 year later...

Hearts pummeled 3-0 by St Johnstone in the League Cup semi-final 20 years ago tonight (Domestic Cups forum for this pish, I know, but the thread is here, so live with it).

15 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Hearts pummeled 3-0 by St Johnstone in the League Cup semi-final 20 years ago tonight (Domestic Cups forum for this pish, I know, but the thread is here, so live with it).

Battered them that night.

Probably Allan Preston's greatest moment for us.

Battered them that night.

Probably Allan Preston's greatest moment for us.

It was an absolute pasting in what was a terrible season for Hearts.

Funny to think that we'd been in three cup finals in the previous three seasons, winning one. Winning these games seemed the norm at the time, and my 14 year-old self fully expected another cup final.

Nope.