Martin McGuinness resigns, Stormont in chaos

ICTChris

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RedRob72 said:

Scottish, with Northern Irish/Scottish parentage, one English grandparent. English wife. Anything else?

I was just curious about how people can be so worked up about another country's politics and you at the time were posting the most vociferously about it. Thank you.

I was just curious about how people can be so worked up about another country's politics and you at the time were posting the most vociferously about it. Thank you.

It's important, always has been mate. Northern Ireland isn't just 'another country'

You're right, it's not even a country.

In that case, why does such an insignificance preoccupy you that much Lichtie ?

I reckon you're probably a good lad, but it seems you are always ready to post a 'dig' when it comes to any thread that includes a reference to Northern Ireland.

May I politely ask why?

That is something that does surprise me at times about this thread,.  

Of course people will have opinions on NI and like myself and anyone living here can find negatives about it. But the level of hatred posted on here can be unnerving , I've been called a bigot numerous times for no other reason than the poster believes I'm from NI ,I've seen others get worse abuse for pretty much the same, if a Muslim posted on here and got that abuse for their views or country of origin there would be outrage , I can't really see a difference.

In that case, why does such an insignificance preoccupy you that much Lichtie ?

I reckon you're probably a good lad, but it seems you are always ready to post a 'dig' when it comes to any thread that includes a reference to Northern Ireland.

May I politely ask why?

It's a statelet.

And Rab it's because I simply cannot get my head around it all. I find the whole concept of Northern Ireland and the attitudes of the people that live there totally bizarre. Well, atleast the Unionist side.

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Can people really not concede the possible basis for other people's world view simply because it fails to neatly correspond with their own? The answer to that is obvious if NI isn't seen as being another country but another part of the same one like Arkansas is to Texas in the United States. That's easy enough to understand if the UK rather than Scotland is viewed as being "the country", which is the status quo arrangement in constitutional terms. A sizable chunk of Scotland's population still sees things in that sort of way and don't go along with the SNP's brand of nationalism. 38% said that they "completely support Scotland staying in the UK no matter what" in today's opinion poll in The Scotsman, for example, so pro-Union sentiment is far from dead in Scotland.

10 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Can people really not concede the possible basis for other people's world view simply because it fails to neatly correspond with their own? The answer to that is obvious if NI isn't seen as being another country but another part of the same one like Arkansas is to Texas in the United States. That's easy enough to understand if the UK rather than Scotland is viewed as being "the country", which is the status quo arrangement in constitutional terms. A sizable chunk of Scotland's population still sees things in that sort of way and don't go along with the SNP's brand of nationalism. 38% said that they "completely support Scotland staying in the UK no matter what" in today's opinion poll in The Scotsman, for example, so pro-Union sentiment is far from dead in Scotland.

nope, read that 3 times and it still makes no sense to me. All I can make out is that you are against Scottish Independence, no idea what that has to do with this thread though

The SNPs brand of Nationalism. What's that then?

Scotland is a country as it existed as a country before the Union was created.

Nobody said Pro Union sentiment was dead, it's just dying out, rapidly.

15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Nobody said Pro Union sentiment was dead, it's just dying out, rapidly.

That's why the No side won then and polling numbers haven't shifted very much since then? Studies have shown that British identity has strengthened considerably in Scotland because of the referendum. The "Scottish not British" posture is a minority one, which is why the SNP pretends to be pro-monarchy in a manner that would be unthinkable for any politician seeking office in the RoI and talked about keeping the pound rather than launching a separate currency during the last referendum, which would have meant that the Bank of England would have still been calling the shots in macroeconomic terms.

Archived