DUFC v QOTS

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

The referee was abysmal for both sides. Wasn't help by two inept linesmen either. The standard of officials this season has been as bad as I have ever seen.

I thought the match officials had a reasonable game, no poor decisions that  influenced the eventual outcome anyway. Remember you are in the diddy league now, you won't get top notch officials every week. You maybe best get used to it, looks like you will still be here next season.  

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toshney and Dixon as our full backs is a problem which opposing teams are exploiting at will. Neither can defend with any capability. Hopefully Frank is back from injury soon and McKinnon restores Robson to the starting line-up.
Thought Mickelson was pretty poor, although service was non-existent.
Lucky to still be in the game when Telfer and to a lesser extent Spittal came on and changed the game in our favour.
Our 14 game unbeaten run and solid defence was done almost entirely with no Dixon, Toshney or Murdoch in the side. Speaks volumes.

18 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I thought the match officials had a reasonable game, no poor decisions that  influenced the eventual outcome anyway. Remember you are in the diddy league now, you won't get top notch officials every week. You maybe best get used to it, looks like you will still be here next season.  

You seem to be suggesting we used to get top notch officials every week in our previous division...

Any highlights yet? I want to analyse how avoidable the goals we conceded were.....

Dunno if you'll get any. Not seen highlights from tannadice all season, maybe it's only arabzone that gets them...?

Could be wrong, would also like to see highlights if there are any

16 minutes ago, GraemePaynesSocks said:

This season's officials are making me pine for Willie Collum...

Mr. Collum sometimes officiates in the diddy divisions,  especially if there is no top-flight games on.  I'm surprised if he hasn't done any of your games yet.

47 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Dunno if you'll get any. Not seen highlights from tannadice all season, maybe it's only arabzone that gets them...?

Could be wrong, would also like to see highlights if there are any

We'll publish highlights eventually I expect. Our cameraman was there. Tends to be later in the week though.

Very happy with a point bearing in mind how awful we were just a few weeks ago. Immense progress has been made by Naismith and we should really have won the game.

The loan signings were both good. I thought Rankine had a great game personally. We have a midfield again!

Carmichael did well, he still doesn't look 100% fit to me.

Mercer did not have a good debut and looked overwhelmed. But totally unfair to judge him yet as he only had one day's training before coming straight into the team. Maybe he'll look more comfortable once he gets to know the players around him more.

I have never been one of the doom mongers this season, even a few weeks ago. I think we can start looking up the table again, not down. [emoji3]

3 hours ago, Desert Nomad said:

Toshney and Dixon as our full backs is a problem which opposing teams are exploiting at will. Neither can defend with any capability. Hopefully Frank is back from injury soon and McKinnon restores Robson to the starting line-up.
Thought Mickelson was pretty poor, although service was non-existent.
Lucky to still be in the game when Telfer and to a lesser extent Spittal came on and changed the game in our favour.
Our 14 game unbeaten run and solid defence was done almost entirely with no Dixon, Toshney or Murdoch in the side. Speaks volumes.

I've been willing to cut Dixon some slack but we've gone beyond that.  My concern with Robson is that he's young and still learning and I don't want too much pressure on the lad; that said there's maybe no option.  We desperately need Van der Struijk at RB.

I'd like to see Mikkelsen playing in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Flood* and Telfer in defensive midfield and Murray, Andreu and Fraser behind him - that's not the same as 4-4-2 before anyone questions it.

* WTF has happened to Flood's passing?  In the last 4 or 5 games it has deteriorated significantly.

I've been willing to cut Dixon some slack but we've gone beyond that.  My concern with Robson is that he's young and still learning and I don't want too much pressure on the lad; that said there's maybe no option.  We desperately need Van der Struijk at RB.
I'd like to see Mikkelsen playing in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Flood* and Telfer in defensive midfield and Murray, Andreu and Fraser behind him - that's not the same as 4-4-2 before anyone questions it.
* WTF has happened to Flood's passing?  In the last 4 or 5 games it has deteriorated significantly.

Dixon is finished and should be cover at the very most. Toshney should be behind Dillon at RB and with VDS fit should only really be serving as cover for the edge or Durnan at CH.
To me the main problem with your formation, and most of McKinnons recently, is a lack of width or pace. It's resultant in Fraser or tony getting the ball and trying to go on mazy runs through the middle which most of the time come to nothing. I was encouraged when ray playing a 442 at the weekend, but less so when I saw he'd put no one who runs the ball down the channels, I'd like to see a midfield 4 of obadeyi, flood (or telfer or Fraser), andreu and another pacy winger behind a front two of Murray and mikkleson(or whoever else we get in).
To me another competent wide player is more of a priority than another striker, because at the moment they're getting such inconsistent service

Dixon is finished and should be cover at the very most. Toshney should be behind Dillon at RB and with VDS fit should only really be serving as cover for the edge or Durnan at CH.
To me the main problem with your formation, and most of McKinnons recently, is a lack of width or pace. It's resultant in Fraser or tony getting the ball and trying to go on mazy runs through the middle which most of the time come to nothing. I was encouraged when ray playing a 442 at the weekend, but less so when I saw he'd put no one who runs the ball down the channels, I'd like to see a midfield 4 of obadeyi, flood (or telfer or Fraser), andreu and another pacy winger behind a front two of Murray and mikkleson(or whoever else we get in).
To me another competent wide player is more of a priority than another striker, because at the moment they're getting such inconsistent service

I think i disagree with most of this. 4-4-2 with Tope might leave us really vulnerable in midfield. A 4 man midfield needs players to track back, especially against a 5 - Tope is poor at this and we"d be left with 3 v 5 in the middle of the park.

And i reckon that VDS is our main RB every day of the week. Its no coincidence our defensive form has dipped since he got injured.

I think i disagree with most of this. 4-4-2 with Tope might leave us really vulnerable in midfield. A 4 man midfield needs players to track back, especially against a 5 - Tope is poor at this and we"d be left with 3 v 5 in the middle of the park.

And i reckon that VDS is our main RB every day of the week. Its no coincidence our defensive form has dipped since he got injured.

Sorry,probably not the expressed in the best manner. I'm saying VDS is number one, Dillon should be his cover and Toshney should be cover for the centre halfs.

I just think the narrowness of the team at the moment is very one dimensional and turgid. Don't get me wrong we've had success with it so far and it was probably necessary to stabilise the team but teams are starting to figure it out and get us by going down the flanks.

Tope isn't by any means a great player, but if deployed with someone on the other side I think it could galvanise the team, if like you say ray was able to hammer into them to track back.

On 14/01/2017 at 23:12, QOSQOS said:

For the third, we all thought it was a foul for us before it was crossed in.

Meh, watched it again, it might be a foul but there's not a lot in it. I'd have been annoyed if it was given against us in the same circumstances. By the same token I'm sure United will claim, with some justification, that there was a foul by us in midfield in the build up to our second.

The United 2nd is a bit messy and preventable. Danny doesn't track Toshney and then when it's lifted back into the box it's not a good cross but Marshall stretches for it and just gets something on it, enough to deflect it against Brownlie who would otherwise probably have dealt with it easily enough and into the path of Fraser, who probably mis-hits it into the corner. He doesn't connect with it properly and it bobbles in.

We're a wee bit unlucky not to nick the ball in the build up to the 3rd too but it's a dangerous cross fired in low eventually and once that happens then anything can result. Credit to Murray for getting in on the end of it.

A draw was fair in the end though having been 3-1 up there's a sense of disappointment there inevitably. I think we've put in two of our best League performances all season at Tannadice.

Archived