Lothian Thistle HV

1 hour ago, tynie1874 said:

I'd like a 2 up 2 down from either SOS EOS Highland league. Would make it that more exciting especially for Lowland teams wanting to stay in that league.

Lothian/Hutchie have always had aspirations to expand, and for years been touted to be building a stadia/complex like Spartans but never really got the planning permission to do so. I believe more money should be invested in grassroots as a whole to stop dross like myself coming through the ranks.

The first step should be automatic relegation from League Two.  Playoff between Highland and Lowland League winners and the winner replaces the bottom team in League Two.  I think that will happen in time especially as more of the long-established League teams get relegated.  Others will start to realise that it's very difficult to come back up.  Later, one automatic spot and then the playoff loser (between Lowland and Highland League) plays against the second bottom team for another promotion spot.  Hopefully the first step happens at least because it would make things far more interesting.  I'm personally hoping that Edinburgh City stay up and East Stirlingshire stay down just to help prove the merits of the pyramid system.  Also, hoping that another League Two teams loses in the relegation playoffs this season.  East Kilbride really seem like they could make a big impact in the SPFL and probably even beyond League Two long-term.

Relegation from the Lowland League really depends on teams in the East/South getting licenced.  As long as the top teams in the East are unlicensed then there's no point in increasing the number of relegation spots.  If LTHV get a licence (and Tynecastle should be able to as well considering that they groundshare) then it would make a huge difference.  If that was the case then 2 up 2 down from Lowland League would be more exciting.  I also definitely advocate a system of teams only having to finish in, say, the top three in the East/South to be promoted i.e. the highest placed licensed team (as long as it's in the top three rather than finishing in a lower position...no point this season in a team like Coldstream getting promoted when they're nowhere near the top) getting promoted so that we have a regular flow of teams in and out of the league.

I'm only repeating posts I've already made in the past by this point.  I think most of this is basic common sense and will hopefully happen as the pyramid develops.  Main priority for me is automatic relegation spot from League Two as well as the top teams in the East of Scotland League getting licensed.  If those two things happen then things become a lot more exciting although they are already far more interesting now than they were pre-pyramid.

Edited by stanley

Just read this report from when they beat Preston in the cup in October: http://www.lothianthistlefc.co.uk/?cat=3

Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale coach Steven McKenzie reaffirmed his view that his side would be an asset to the Lowland League after Saturday’s 2-1 South Region Cup second-round victory over Preston Athletic.  First-half goals from James Guy and Kevin Brown – the latter’s coming from the penalty spot – saw the East of Scotland League outfit prevail over the Lowland’s bottom side at the Pennypit, Fabio Neto’s 68th-minute strike proving no more than a consolation for the weary-looking Panners.  In truth, this win merely strengthened the Saughton-based outfit’s assertion that they could more than hold their own in the Lowland League

“There’s no difference at all really and I think we once again proved that,” McKenzie said. “But it’s all about opinions and I am confident with the squad we have we would do well in the Lowland League next year if given the chance. The club are working really hard behind the scenes to get things like a licence in place so that’s where we’re at the moment. Overall, I think we deserved to go through. It got a bit scrappy in the second half and, with us not taking our chances late on, it always gives them some hope. They chucked a lot of balls into our box but I thought we defended really well."

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, edinabear said:

When are LTHV going to get a license for Saughton?

According to folk at the game they now have portokabins for a toilet block and plans are in place for a covered enclosure so they are working towards a licence by the sound of it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/03/2017 at 07:10, Shugster1960 said:

All true

I'm probably going to be doing a feature on Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale for the upcoming EOS Cup Final - otherwise known as the City Cup -  against Edinburgh City. Date seems to have been arranged for Wednesday 19th April but nothing confirmed as yet. As the senior club Edinburgh City has the option to play the match at home at Meadowbank or they may opt for Ainslie Park as a dummy run for the ground sharing agreement with Spartans next season. What can you tell me about the club and the merger with Hutchie in 2009. I've been told off hand that Hutchie's clubhouse burnt down and they didn't have it insured so went cap in hand to the other clubs and as money around the East of Scotland League was scarce the merger was the only option. 

On 4/2/2017 at 20:15, Mr Blobby said:

I'm probably going to be doing a feature on Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale for the upcoming EOS Cup Final - otherwise known as the City Cup -  against Edinburgh City. Date seems to have been arranged for Wednesday 19th April but nothing confirmed as yet. As the senior club Edinburgh City has the option to play the match at home at Meadowbank or they may opt for Ainslie Park as a dummy run for the ground sharing agreement with Spartans next season. What can you tell me about the club and the merger with Hutchie in 2009. I've been told off hand that Hutchie's clubhouse burnt down and they didn't have it insured so went cap in hand to the other clubs and as money around the East of Scotland League was scarce the merger was the only option. 

Always thought they had aspirations to play EOS even before the club-house incident.

16 hours ago, tynie1874 said:

Always thought they had aspirations to play EOS even before the club-house incident.

Hutchie Vale applied to join the EoS in 2008 but were rejected.  I always assumed it a case of a youth team "merging" with a senior team in order to get their place in the league.  A bit like Edinburgh Athletic/Leith Athletic and Tollcross United/Tynecastle except that, in this case, the senior team retained their name too rather than completely losing it.  Seems like this one actually was more like a merger rather than a takeover but I'm only going by the name changes and keeping the "Lothian Thistle" part.  I think LTHV took Hutchie Vale's colours for their strip as well?

Edited by stanley

21 hours ago, stanley said:

Hutchie Vale applied to join the EoS in 2008 but were rejected.  I always assumed it a case of a youth team "merging" with a senior team in order to get their place in the league.  A bit like Edinburgh Athletic/Leith Athletic and Tollcross United/Tynecastle except that, in this case, the senior team retained their name too rather than completely losing it.  Seems like this one actually was more like a merger rather than a takeover but I'm only going by the name changes and keeping the "Lothian Thistle" part.  I think LTHV took Hutchie Vale's colours for their strip as well?

Yeah, I was there when they had originally spoken about building stadia like Spartans 7 year ago. And I think that's when they where merging so Hutchie could get that EoS spot both roundabout the same period.

Edited by tynie1874

• 1 month later...

So if lthv avoid a 3 goal defeat on Saturday are they in lowland league or is there a play off?  I understand the materials to meet lowland league criteria are in place but don't know if this is enough. 

You Have To Laugh When A Team Gets Pumped eleven nil at home, and then is odds on favourites to win their next league game.

Publeaguedotcom

hopefully The pyramid will force some decent teams to join.