Namedropping thread

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I used to work in Greaves in Glasgow and frequently met the great and good of Scottish fitba.

Tore Andre Flo and his lovely wife are a stand-out memory as they were both thoroughly lovely people. Obviously you hear of fitba players who make it big (financially , at least, in the case of Flo) and they act like they're entitled to it and cut about like Louis XIV. Flo was the opposite and was totally grounded. Absolute gent and his wife was an absolute babe, in every sense. 

I once played fives against Barry Lavety. I remember pegging him, but not feeling great about it afterwards. It was a pretty sad experience as he's pretty overweight now, and had fallen on hard times financially. Lovely fella, genuinely sound and humble man, but he knows he fucked up, and he wears that regret fairly obviously.

Graham Shinnie and his missus are regulars at the restaurant at which I work. Lovely chap, but never tips. Grinds my gears endlessly as he must be on a hefty wedge (see also Stevie May and Andrew Considine......but not Dom Ball, who can come back any time he pleases thank you very much). There was a period where Shinnie's other half came into the restaurant for lunch with the wee one about once, sometimes twice a week. We got chatting and it gave me a different insight into the life of a footballer's wife. She talked about how, with the recent clear out of players, she'd lost a lot of her social circle (the other wives who are young mums have play-dates etc) and she did seem particularly lonely (hence the increase in her visits to oor restaurant). I didn't even encourage her to share anything, she just unloaded for about ten minutes. Lovely exchange actually.

Finally, one for the "infuriating things your weans do" page.

My da takes me to the Scotland v Ghana u16 game in 1989. Outside the ground there's a small crowd around a man who my old man says was his favourite player when he was wee. Me being 6, I proceed to wander toward the stall where flags and badges are being sold. My da stops moving towards this former footballer and has to come and get me after I'd wandered off. He then, again tries to get me to go with him to meet this man who my dad liked as a boy. As a 6 year old whose heid was full of wee motors, I again start moving in the general direction of yet another badge and flag vendor. Faither then gives up his quest to meet this, presumably less interesting man (he wasn't selling a single badge ffs) and takes me into the ground. We take our seats and, just before the anthems there's an announcement as the man my da wanted to meet is welcomed onto the pitch. "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome our special guest for the day.....Pele". 

:rolleyes:  

Image result for mrs doyle go on

I used to work in Greaves in Glasgow and frequently met the great and good of Scottish fitba.
Tore Andre Flo and his lovely wife are a stand-out memory as they were both thoroughly lovely people. Obviously you hear of fitba players who make it big (financially , at least, in the case of Flo) and they act like they're entitled to it and cut about like Louis XIV. Flo was the opposite and was totally grounded. Absolute gent and his wife was an absolute babe, in every sense. 
I once played fives against Barry Lavety. I remember pegging him, but not feeling great about it afterwards. It was a pretty sad experience as he's pretty overweight now, and had fallen on hard times financially. Lovely fella, genuinely sound and humble man, but he knows he fucked up, and he wears that regret fairly obviously.
Graham Shinnie and his missus are regulars at the restaurant at which I work. Lovely chap, but never tips. Grinds my gears endlessly as he must be on a hefty wedge (see also Stevie May and Andrew Considine......but not Dom Ball, who can come back any time he pleases thank you very much). There was a period where Shinnie's other half came into the restaurant for lunch with the wee one about once, sometimes twice a week. We got chatting and it gave me a different insight into the life of a footballer's wife. She talked about how, with the recent clear out of players, she'd lost a lot of her social circle (the other wives who are young mums have play-dates etc) and she did seem particularly lonely (hence the increase in her visits to oor restaurant). I didn't even encourage her to share anything, she just unloaded for about ten minutes. Lovely exchange actually.
My da takes me to the Scotland v Ghana u16 game in 1989. Outside the ground there's a small crowd around a man who my old man says was his favourite player when he was wee. Me being 6, I proceed to wander toward the stall where flags and badges are being sold. My da stops moving towards this former footballer and has to come and get me after I'd wandered off. He then, again tries to get me to go with him to meet this man who my dad liked as a boy. As a 6 year old whose heid was full of wee motors, I again start moving in the general direction of yet another badge and flag vendor. Faither then gives up his quest to meet this, presumably less interesting man (he wasn't selling a single badge ffs) and takes me into the ground. We take our seats and, just before the anthems there's an announcement as the man my da wanted to meet is welcomed onto the pitch. "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome our special guest for the day.....Pele". 

Ahh the memories, I was at the same game and at half time I went in search of an autograph, as I got near the directors area I was told pele had gone by several people but I carried on anyway, on arriving at my intended target he said to me "pele is away son" I said I'd like your autograph, he laughed and said "Do you even know who I am?"
Yeah, your Jim Fleeting, Kilmarnock manager!

f**k pele lol

I would've had Kate and Gerry adopt you for the Pele incident!

My favourite sentence: I have met Nile Rodgers.

Not for long, but long enough to shake his hand, utter some star struck fanboy gibberish, get a photo with him, and just about pass out through excitement.

To be fair to Nile, most people react like that when they meet me so I won't judge him for it :angel

• 2 weeks later...

the football slant of this thread hammers home the phrase I dread from football fans (or boring fecks re some guitarist/singer they saw) - "I was fortunate enough to have seen (such and such) play ......". 

You just know that they have trotted out that phrase hundreds of times before and to make them sound humble, and as a helpful segway into their story, they grab onto the "fortunate " with such gusto. Aye, maybe fortunate enough for you but not for the hundreds who have suffered your story!

the football slant of this thread hammers home the phrase I dread from football fans (or boring fecks re some guitarist/singer they saw) - "I was fortunate enough to have seen (such and such) play ......". 
You just know that they have trotted out that phrase hundreds of times before and to make them sound humble, and as a helpful segway into their story, they grab onto the "fortunate " with such gusto. Aye, maybe fortunate enough for you but not for the hundreds who have suffered your story!

David Guetta met me once. Cafe Mambo, Ibiza July 2015. He was stopping in for a chicken salad and a Perrier before going off to do his set. He seemed quite surprised to have met me.

On 12/17/2018 at 16:04, Brother Blades said:

No, not so much now. Maybe I’m just so hideous that he was able to restrain himself.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It sounds like you were probably just too conscious for his tastes.

I was fortunate enough to see Alan Stubbs sitting on a bench eating an ice cream when he was hibs manager.

Opens at Carnoustie, putting green used to be next to road in 1975, spent 10 minutes speaking to an older American man, was later told it was Arnold Palmer, in 1999 was again at the putting green watching Tiger Woods practice his putting, watched by his then coach Butch Harmon, as he was leaving I asked Tiger why he practiced his putting one-handed, he and Butch chatted to me for a couple minutes explaining the routine