Ayr Utd vs Dunfermline

Ayr were shocking, the pars not much better. It was a real stinker of a game with the pars scoring two fortunate goals. First goal the guy has a shot that's heading for the corner flag and Clark gets a lucky toe to it; the second both players challenge for a header ball bounces to geggan who toe punts it in to the far corner. That's the breaks you get when you are on a run. Two shite teams with the pars only less shite because they got the break of the ball twice.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ayr were shocking, the pars not much better. It was a real stinker of a game with the pars scoring two fortunate goals. First goal the guy has a shot that's heading for the corner flag and Clark gets a lucky toe to it; the second both players challenge for a header ball bounces to geggan who toe punts it in to the far corner. That's the breaks you get when you are on a run. Two shite teams with the pars only less shite because they got the break of the ball twice.

9ea93b4e28e971ef578735f304dbaa43.jpg

250px-Only_Fools_Stage_Fright.jpg

Ahh, drink yer Buckie. It'll take your troubles away.

...at least until you awake tomorrow in the cells.

1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:

The best we've looked this season was when Murphy and Balatoni were playing together.  McKenna just looks like a guy playing percentages and hoping not to make any glaringly obvious mistakes.  He was as culpable as anyone for Dunfermlines second goal - just never seems to make the difference when the chips are down.  Can't say I remember Murphy making too many mistakes last season, though I accept him and Graham weren't an ideal partnership given they both lacked pace.  

How many times have they even played together? 

What does McKenna playing percentages even mean? I would need to see the second goal again but didn't think so at the time. He won his challenges and didn't make any ridiculous mistakes like Balatoni did today. 

44 minutes ago, Buckfast said:

a0G0k.gif

Just now, No_Problemo said:

How many times have they even played together? 

What does McKenna playing percentages even mean? I would need to see the second goal again but didn't think so at the time. He won his challenges and didn't make any ridiculous mistakes like Balatoni did today. 

They played together through most of October when we had our strongest run of the season, beating Falkirk, Dumbarton and Queen of the South,. We also threw away a win against Morton due to some barmy substitutions by McCall in the second half.  Was round about that time we were talking seriously about finishing in the top half of the league!  As I recall we dropped Murphy the following week because we were scared of Martin Boyles pace (who duly ripped Meggatt to bits) then brought in McKenna.  By percentages, I mean he does the simple stuff well, but, for me, never really convinces he's the real deal.  Maybe he'll improve with game time, but as I understand it, we're not even guaranteed to keep him beyond mid-January.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy chucked it, so we'll probably do everything to keep him on.

Thoroughly pumped by a much better team today. First twenty I thought we were the better side (I say this every week) and then we conceded a goal out of nothing and completely collapsed. I don't think anybody in the stadium thought we could come back once the second goal went in and so it proved.

Dunfermline (and others) have loads of options up front and we're relying on a young lad on loan who's clearly not ready for it yet...And he's going back to Patrick next week FFS. Meanwhile we have four central midfielders playing across midfield and they are all incredibly one-paced. The number of times we have the ball and are so slow to create something is excruciating. Teams are wise to it now, getting numbers behind the ball and just picking us off.

Pass marks for Devlin, Boyle (no mistakes!!) and Cairney (my motm) today. The rest were just off the boil and Balatoni had his worst game in an Ayr shirt. We have nothing to lose next week against Falkirk, I'd be tempted to put Murphy back in the side over McKenna and see if we can get some communication from the back line, the team is so quiet on the park at times.

New striker please, and a pacey McMullan type, or we're going down.

Thought both teams started fairly well, and it was quite even. Then we got a very good breakaway, where Talbot hit a terrible shot, but as has happened so many times this season, Clark was perfectly positioned to divert it in. He's been excellent for popping up right place, right time, since joining. We then scored again shortly after. Not totally sure what happened, but it looked like Geggan mishit the initial header straight up in the air, fell over, then somehow got the second ball with very little challenge to hammer it in. Looked a great finish. From there, we dominated the rest of the half and looked very dangerous on the break.

Second half, Ayr came out determined to get back into it and had a lot of the ball. They put us under pressure at times, but the only real chance I can remember was after a defensive miskick, ball was won around the byeline, cut back to Forrest - who missed a sitter. Other than that, they didn't threaten much, despite a lot of possession. We still looked very dangerous on the counter though.

Higginbotham continued his outstanding form and ran the show. McMullan drifted in and out the game, but looked dangerous. Moff/Clark looking good as a partnership just now. Also a special mention for Herron/Wedderburn who were excellent in the middle.

Ayr seemed to cause us a few problems in the second half, with Devlin overlapping on the right wing, and getting to the byeline/cutting in. Fortunately though, there wasn't much he could do with no support. Harkins is still a clever player and finds space and makes the most of it, despite his lack of pace.

Not going to get carried away about that result. We're on a good run and it's important to win next week, otherwise we'll have undone all the good that this result has done, in starting to distance ourselves from the bottom.

Not totally sure what happened, but it looked like Geggan mishit the initial header straight up in the air, fell over, then somehow got the second ball with very little challenge to hammer it in. Looked a great finish. From there, we dominated the rest of the half and looked very dangerous on the break.

Was a cracking finish from the lad.

Unluckee.

2 minutes ago, JFPar said:

Any truth in the rumour that Nicky Devlin might be Tyneecastle bound. Only something I read online yesterday so could be bollocks.

He should get out while he can IMO

Archived