The Ton v The Sons

If we've not added another striker and Oliver's out between the probable broken nose and potential concussion, I'd like to see us go with Tidser playing off Scullion. Unfortunately, Oyenuga will start even if Oliver is fit.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wright could fill in if Buchanan is out, I'd rather leave sparky in the middle of the park. It will be interesting to see if Stevie manages to bring anyone in before Saturday, and be excellent news if gunning is out, he's impressed me the games against us.

If Oliver has a broken nose he'll be out for at least a couple of weeks, and McDonagh will probably be suspended for 2/3 games after his red card. We need someone in before Saturday if possible. Kudus works hard but he's just no where near good enough for us. 

I think Nesbitt's loan ends this week, and going by his interview in the Tele he didn't seem that bothered about staying. Could be a very small squad to pick from on Saturday.

2 hours ago, optimistic said:

Wright could fill in if Buchanan is out, I'd rather leave sparky in the middle of the park. It will be interesting to see if Stevie manages to bring anyone in before Saturday, and be excellent news if gunning is out, he's impressed me the games against us.

Wright hirpled across the pitch to the dugout after half time on Saturday so I would doubt if he would be fit to play against anybody at the moment.

Tidser needs to be starting IMO. He looks like 2012/13 Tidser again. Not sure who I would drop but I think Lindsay hasn't been as effective since his injury a couple of weeks ago and could do with a rest. Murdoch still has to pace and energy to cover what Tidser does not. But he's making such a huge difference now when he plays that we can't afford to leave him out any more.

9 hours ago, Scosha said:

If Oliver has a broken nose he'll be out for at least a couple of weeks, and McDonagh will probably be suspended for 2/3 games after his red card. We need someone in before Saturday if possible. Kudus works hard but he's just no where near good enough for us. 

I think Nesbitt's loan ends this week, and going by his interview in the Tele he didn't seem that bothered about staying. Could be a very small squad to pick from on Saturday.

We could be going into this game without Gunning, Oliver, Nesbitt, Quitongo and McDonough...

Scary.

Time for Duffy to bring out the ol' Craig Levein 4-6-0.

Either of which are preferable to Kudus upfront.

Other option would be Tam upfront with Scullion playing off him. (presuming Oliver is out injured). Duffy doesn't seem to want to play Scullion as the leading striker and Orr seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

7 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Time for Duffy to bring out the ol' Craig Levein 4-6-0.

Either of which are preferable to Kudus upfront.

Other option would be Tam upfront with Scullion playing off him. (presuming Oliver is out injured). Duffy doesn't seem to want to play Scullion as the leading striker and Orr seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Think Orr is injured? 

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:08, Dunning1874 said:

If we've not added another striker and Oliver's out between the probable broken nose and potential concussion, I'd like to see us go with Tidser playing off Scullion. Unfortunately, Oyenuga will start even if Oliver is fit.

You would think that Scullion has to get on the park in the circumstances. Why give the boy an extension, yet never play him ? I'm beginning to think that Duffy is keeping him as a house pet.

Oyenuga seems to have a thing about Dumbarton right enough so I've no doubt that he'll be there or thereabouts. I always seem to be predicting draws this weather and due to our potential list of missing/injured, I'll stick with that. Unfortunately, the sons could well be the team to burst our home record.

We were doing OK in the November match at the Rock until Docherty got stretchered off, Frazer's hammy went and Aitken weirdly substituted Joe T. On the flip side, Morton could have probably pushed up a few gears if necessary.

With squad changes ongoing I'd take a point right now.

Kudos had a good game at Dumbarton, and whilst I appreciate he didn't have the greatest of games at Dunfermline, he is being written off a bit prematurely.

I'm personally not convinced but he deserves a chance to show what he can do. 

3 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Kudos had a good game at Dumbarton, and whilst I appreciate he didn't have the greatest of games at Dunfermline, he is being written off a bit prematurely.

I'm personally not convinced but he deserves a chance to show what he can do. 

Well, no. He failed to hold the ball up, failed to use his physical presence in any way, failed to make any kind of runs to unsettle the defence or create space for the midfield, and that was why we toiled so much to open the scoring, relying on a wonder goal out of nothing from Russell as the game descended into a scrap with the midfield not finding any space to play. That he trundled the ball into an open net late on doesn't mean he had a good game - it means that on that occasion you can let him off for having yet another bad one, but it doesn't change the fact he completely failed to perform the task asked of him for the bulk of the game.

He's had 18 appearances, 8 of them starts, and his debut as a sub at home to Dumbarton is the only one where he can reasonably be given pass marks. I don't think it's premature to judge a player after that number of appearances. The problem is that his standard of performance at Dunfermline is entirely typical: he's simply miles out of his depth at this level. He's had several chances to show what he can do and shown that he has little to contribute, whereas Scullion has had very few chances.

I thought Kudos did reasonably well in the cup win against Dundee Utd. I know he sees himself as a striker, but he's done next to nothing to suggest that he's up to the demands of that role in our system. I think he could be a servicable, if underwhelming, wide player though. If Duffy could make his system a bit more flexible, then Kudos could play out wide in a 4-5-1 formation (allowing Tidser to come into the midfield). Murdoch would probanly need to be the one pressing higher up the pitch from the middle. The thought of keeping Tidser on the bench to accommodate Kudos up front is horrifying. 

55 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I thought Kudos did reasonably well in the cup win against Dundee Utd. I know he sees himself as a striker, but he's done next to nothing to suggest that he's up to the demands of that role in our system. I think he could be a servicable, if underwhelming, wide player though. If Duffy could make his system a bit more flexible, then Kudos could play out wide in a 4-5-1 formation (allowing Tidser to come into the midfield). Murdoch would probanly need to be the one pressing higher up the pitch from the middle. The thought of keeping Tidser on the bench to accommodate Kudos up front is horrifying. 

He played there against Falkirk at TFS and was taken off because he was dreadful.

He was also dreadful there in the cup semi. Just saying that the only decent start he's had was out wide, where he was serviceable if underwhelming, and if Duffy felt like he needed to start him it shouldn't be up front. His performance at Ayr was the worst I've ever seen from a front man - I think he touched the ball twice. At wide mid he at least gives himself a chance of being in the game. I at least have hope he could do a job in that role, I don't have hope with him as a striker. 

Archived