May Election Thread

Baxter Parp

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frank McAveety is the embodiment of all that is wrong with Labour-led GCC. An entitled, slovenly gravy train aficionado who doesn't give a shiny f**k about the people he's supposed to serve and values his political party over and above the country he lives in.

Thing is, at this time Frank McAveety is de facto leader of SLAB in Glasgow.

MPs zilch

MSPs suppose Johann (Isa) Lamont might count.

Is she still an MSP?

Hopefully the opposition will do a bit better than last time.

All a bit embarrassing.

Still, shouldn't speak ill of the dead.

Glasgow City council letter out today.. re Scottish government imposing big council tax percentage increases. Mentions Scottish government about 10 times. Thing is it can only be a max of 3% but of course they are banding 12.5%.. of course that includes Scottish water but that doesn't come across in a precise way.

Labour... bunch of c***s

15 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Glasgow City council letter out today.. re Scottish government imposing big council tax percentage increases. Mentions Scottish government about 10 times. Thing is it can only be a max of 3% but of course they are banding 12.5%.. of course that includes Scottish water but that doesn't come across in a precise way.

Labour... bunch of c***s

Many households will see their Council Tax increase by 13% plus, most of it as a result of the decision of the Scottish Government.  It is a factually correct statement.

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Many households will see their Council Tax increase by 13% plus, most of it as a result of the decision of the Scottish Government.  It is a factually correct statement.

Bit rich for Labour to be moaning about it since they spent years crying that a freeze hurts the poorest. So did you actually.

There is a council tax cap of 3%. It's the water utilities that is pushing it up. Letter makes out that it's only council tax in addition to water tax. The way it's written is very political

17 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

Bit rich for Labour to be moaning about it since they spent years crying that a freeze hurts the poorest. So did you actually.

I think the CT freeze was a bad thing.  It's a pretty blunt instrument but it is largely a progressive tax and the poorest are exempt from it.

8 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

There is a council tax cap of 3%. It's the water utilities that is pushing it up. Letter makes out that it's only council tax in addition to water tax. The way it's written is very political

It's nothing to do with water rates.  In addition to the discretionary 3%, a further mandatory increase is being applied to properties within the E - H bands.  A band F property will increase by about 10% in addition to whatever the Local Authority decides their increase (capped at 3%) will be.  This is a decision of the Scottish Government.

I'm in favour of this for the stated in my reply to AUFC90.

13 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Hears me thinking the extra 3% was for the refurbishment of the air raid shelter underneath the city chambers costing a pretty penny.

GD is entirely correct. It's nothing to do with water rates. The CT increases from Bands E-H have from from the Scottish Government, with Council's having the option to impose up to an additional 3% across the board. Band H will go up by a total of something like 27.5% in Angus. 

The seethe this has generated has been fantastic, especially on the local Facebook pages. They're positively rammed full of idiots who over-reached themselves financially to get big houses they couldn't really afford and are now crying "discrimination" at folk in the lower Bands :lol:  They're also demanding that Council staff take wage cuts, and that people living in the lower bands don't deserve the same level of Council services. Utterly brilliant stuff. I might post up a scan of my £3 monthly increase in March :lol:

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I think the CT freeze was a bad thing.  It's a pretty blunt instrument but it is largely a progressive tax and the poorest are exempt from it.

It's nothing to do with water rates.  In addition to the discretionary 3%, a further mandatory increase is being applied to properties within the E - H bands.  A band F property will increase by about 10% in addition to whatever the Local Authority decides their increase (capped at 3%) will be.  This is a decision of the Scottish Government.

So what is it you're objecting to?  That it's more progressive now than it was?

Evidence of what exactly?

In old but unremarked news, the Labour minority running Inverclyde Council have already conceded defeat in May, having decided to field just eight candidates for the twenty-two available seats. 

6 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

GD is entirely correct. It's nothing to do with water rates. The CT increases from Bands E-H have from from the Scottish Government, with Council's having the option to impose up to an additional 3% across the board. Band H will go up by a total of something like 27.5% in Angus. 

The seethe this has generated has been fantastic, especially on the local Facebook pages. They're positively rammed full of idiots who over-reached themselves financially to get big houses they couldn't really afford and are now crying "discrimination" at folk in the lower Bands :lol:  They're also demanding that Council staff take wage cuts, and that people living in the lower bands don't deserve the same level of Council services. Utterly brilliant stuff. I might post up a scan of my £3 monthly increase in March :lol:

There appear to be a lot of old biddy, Sunday Post reading types who find it outrageously unfair that they're being asked to pay more money, having avoided literally every single austerity cut over the past decade. 

That's a wee shame.

6 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

So what is it you're objecting to?  That it's more progressive now than it was?

Have you got a problem reading?  I'm not objecting to anything.

I think the CT should never have been frozen, it is something that has benefitted the better off rather than the less well off and has led to a significant reduction in income to Councils over the last decade.  

I live in a band F house so my CT will go up by about 13%, I'm not complaining about that either and neither should anyone else living in a band E - H house because they're still paying a hell of a lot less than they would be paying if the Council Tax had risen by the rate of inflation over the last 10 years.

Archived