May Election Thread

Baxter Parp

Thoroughly looking forward to McCabe no longer being Inverclyde council leader after tonight. A couple of the local Labour guys seem alright whenever I've dealt with them but he's always been a complete cod whalloper - no doubt he'll be ranting on about joint SNP/Tory campaigns or something tonight on Twitter.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Fiona Grant (SNP)
2. John Beare (SNP)
3. Lorna Ross (Green)
4. Kyle Mackie (Independent)
5. Kate Legg (Lib Dem)
6. Jan Wincott (Labour)
7. John Wincott (Labour)
8. Michael Green (Tory)
9. Jamie Donaldson (No Referendum, Maintain Union, Pro-Brexit)
The last nutjob said in his only official campaign interview:
“I am 35 years old and grew up in Cadham, attending both Pitcoudie Primary and Glenrothes High schools.
I have a degree in naval architecture from Glasgow University and I worked in the Aberdeen oil and gas industry for almost ten years before I lost my job in the oil price crash.
I see this as an opportunity, however, and now devote my time and energy to the defence of Great Britain and Northern Ireland with a core belief that one of the great strengths of Unionism is its inherent partnership of political differences for the greater good of everyone.”
Good luck m8.

Cadham? Lol

52 minutes ago, DBA said:

I see this as an opportunity, however, and now devote my time and energy to the defence of Great Britain and Northern Ireland with a core belief that one of the great strengths of Unionism is its inherent partnership of political differences for the greater good of everyone.”

Good luck m8.

Can't stand people standing for councils with shite like this. His job as a councillor is to ensure local services are ran well and that local areas are boosted with new ideas/initiatives etc, and that constituents are listened to. His opinion on independence should mean hee-haw. If he wants to shout about how against independence he is, he should stand for a national parliament.

13 minutes ago, TonMan said:

Can't stand people standing for councils with shite like this. His job as a councillor is to ensure local services are ran well and that local areas are boosted with new ideas/initiatives etc, and that constituents are listened to. His opinion on independence should mean hee-haw. If he wants to shout about how against independence he is, he should stand for a national parliament.

Absolutely, voting for independence supporting parties or unionist parties based on that alone and not on what each would do for local area is a bit depressing. It's the same as the 'Dad was a Labour man" politics". It should be based on the candidates, their ability and vision for local services.  

I do a lot of work in the planning system and I think many Councillors are surprised when first appointed at the procedures and policy of the system. There are a small number of Councillors who think that getting elected means they can vote in our out new developments at will or suggest frivolous amendments. It doesn't matter if your constituents don't like something, opposition has to be grounded in planning policy. 

Just took my 93 year-old Mum to vote, she's registered blind. In a very loud voice she said, "Which box for Queen Nicky?" A cheer went up from waiting voters. 

Make of that what you will. 

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

Voted before working this morning.

1& 2) SNP 3) Green 4) Independent (he campaigns against homelessness) 5) LIb Dem (engaged in the local issues) 6) Independent 7&8) Labour 9) Tories

Mine was almost exactly the same, only difference being that there was only one Labour candidate, so he was 7 and the Tories were 8.

Voted in Inverness South

SNP

SNP

Independent (had some good things to say on his visit to the house and didnt push the unionist thing so he got my 3rd vote)

LibDem (Seems to be an OK individual)

Labour (he was all about the saying no to ScotRef on his hastily binned campaign leaflet)

Independent (tory in disguise, really dislike him)

Independent (lunatic christian party mentalist. this guy cannot be allowed near anything that can impact anyone elses life)

Tory

Glasgow Southside Central - 4 Seats in play

SNP - Alexander Belic 3
UKIP - Lorraine Duncan 7
Independent - Mark Fiddy 5
Conservative - Gordon Fraser 8
SNP - Qasim Hanif 2
SNP - Mhairi Hunter (incumbent) 1
Scottish Green - Cass MacGregor 4
Labour - James Scanlon (incumbent) 10
Labour - Soryia Siddique (incumbent) 9
Liberal Democrats - Chris Young 6

How i voted this afternoon. 

15 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Glasgow Southside Central - 4 Seats in play

SNP - Alexander Belic 3
UKIP - Lorraine Duncan 7
Independent - Mark Fiddy 5
Conservative - Gordon Fraser 8
SNP - Qasim Hanif 2
SNP - Mhairi Hunter (incumbent) 1
Scottish Green - Cass MacGregor 4
Labour - James Scanlon (incumbent) 10
Labour - Soryia Siddique (incumbent) 9
Liberal Democrats - Chris Young 6

How i voted this afternoon. 

Poor Cass MacGregor - she's been trying to get a seat in Glasgow in a host of different elections for as long as I've been voting here :lol:

UKIP ahead of the Tories who are ahead of Labour. Bold call.

Hearing that there's a terribly low turnout in places.

Also, a suspicious package delivered to Douglas Chapman's office in Dunfermline. The street's been closed off and Police are guarding it.

What's that now, 3, 4 packages sent to SNP offices?

Some might say that it's getting out of hand and that some profile in the media would be due.

Shame too, because whatever anyone thinks of the SNP, Chapman is a top bloke.

9 minutes ago, Shades75 said:

Hearing that there's a terribly low turnout in places.

Also, a suspicious package delivered to Douglas Chapman's office in Dunfermline. The street's been closed off and Police are guarding it.

What's that now, 3, 4 packages sent to SNP offices?

Some might say that it's getting out of hand and that some profile in the media would be due.

Shame too, because whatever anyone thinks of the SNP, Chapman is a top bloke.

According to one of the SNP councillors for my ward we had the second lowest in the 2012 elections.  Can we go one better and finish rock bottom this time?

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

Absolutely, voting for independence supporting parties or unionist parties based on that alone and not on what each would do for local area is a bit depressing. It's the same as the 'Dad was a Labour man" politics". It should be based on the candidates, their ability and vision for local services.  

I do a lot of work in the planning system and I think many Councillors are surprised when first appointed at the procedures and policy of the system. There are a small number of Councillors who think that getting elected means they can vote in our out new developments at will or suggest frivolous amendments. It doesn't matter if your constituents don't like something, opposition has to be grounded in planning policy. 

fs I get where you're coming from but this is what happened in my council ward regarding flyers and candidates visions for local services.

First through the door was this from the Scottish Tories.
Also a letter from Ruth endorsing the Tory guy for the June GE.
That is the total flyers from the Scottish Tories regarding the council elections.

ST.jpg.f2ce1f29d113195f35a87ba0325408bf.jpg

Next through the door was this
psnp01.thumb.jpg.f6a52090177017087f1050da920cdc40.jpg

psnp02.jpg.59a02a6f37be210e8bbe1b1e1b3272e7.jpg

Also a letter from John Swinney endorsing the two SNP candidates for the council elections.

There is a Green candidate - no information
Labour candidate - no information
Lib dem candidate - no information
Two Independents - no information.

It should be based on the candidates, their ability and vision for local services.
On that basis the two SNP candidates should win hands down as they are the only candidates to offer anything to a council election.
How can you tell a candidates ability and vision if they cannae be bothered telling the electors?

Archived