May Election Thread

Baxter Parp

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

For me, and I suspect for most of the readers of this blog, the boak-making candidates in most local authority wards will be Tories
and also, in some areas, Ukip and your actual out and out fascists. Those are the candidates I’m going to rate lowest of all, because
they’re the most boak inducing. By rating everyone else on the ballot above them, I am helping to ensure that everyone else will be
elected before the Tories or Ukip. Ranking them at the bottom of my list of preferences is not a vote for them, it’s a vote for anyone but
them. It’s a way you can use your STV ballot in order to have the best chance of getting a council that you approve of, or at least the
one that you least disapprove of.

The Tories are advising their voters to rank the SNP last. So we need to employ the same tactic in order to minimise the Tory vote.
Abstaining after you’ve ranked all the pro-indy candidates doesn’t help to minimise the Tory vote because other people are going to
rate them high. If you don’t rate non-Tory candidates, you make it more likely that a Tory is going to get enough votes to get over the finish line.

Gotcha :thumsup2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mrs May said (roughly) "Now is not the time to be talking about an Independence referendum) I emailed my local Conservative candidate to ask him if that was the case, why did his local leaflet contain seven references to a 2nd Referendum. As expected I got no reply. The Labour leaflet is yet to come in and we have no lib Dem candidate so I can only wait till I actually vote to see them "telt"

Tory candidate in Paisley denies being a member of the BNP, or having the e-mail address neillrfc1690nosurrender@hotmail.co.uk.  Oh, and a picture he posted on facebook of the parachute regiment during bloody Sunday was just him showing support for the British army in general, nothing at all to do with the massacre.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15224625.Tory_candidate_denies_BNP_link_despite_details_in_database/?ref=twtrec

Tory candidate in Paisley denies being a member of the BNP, or having the e-mail address neillrfc1690nosurrender@hotmail.co.uk.  Oh, and a picture he posted on facebook of the parachute regiment during bloody Sunday was just him showing support for the British army in general, nothing at all to do with the massacre.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15224625.Tory_candidate_denies_BNP_link_despite_details_in_database/?ref=twtrec

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15102373.Revealed__picture_of_SNP_candidate_on_pro_IRA_march/

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/snps-nicola-sturgeon-apologises-over-masons-ira-freedom-fighter-comments-35437123.html

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/snp-candidate-south-ayrshire-council-10128288.amp

There's not much to be cheerful about in our (or anyone else's) politics at the moment, but I'm fairly confident of celebrating Labour's richly deserved humiliation in Glasgow next month with some sort of Snoopy-esque celebratory dance. 

Incidentally, I don't mind admitting to approaching this in a fully contrarian way.

I honestly wouldn't even have bothered voting here, until the Unionist leaflets dropped the door and wound me up with their hypocrisy. What on earth do Council Elections have to do with Independence? The brass neck of them going on about day jobs and constitutional obsessions.

15 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I'm going to rank him last, that'll learn them.

Nice undertones of misogyny and racism though. Good work as always, Labour.

ETA: Just noticed SNP are telling me which order I should vote in too. Why is that? 

17917064_10154655389458235_1166604136_o.jpg

in case ye forget?

40 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I'm going to rank him last, that'll learn them.

Nice undertones of misogyny and racism though. Good work as always, Labour.

ETA: Just noticed SNP are telling me which order I should vote in too. Why is that? 

17917064_10154655389458235_1166604136_o.jpg

If everyone ranks SNP Candidate A first, and Candidate B second, Candidate B will be knocked out at one of the early elimination stages because he has too few first preferences.

If the local party have done their homework properly, they will know which part of the constituency favours candidate A over candidate B. The leaflets in that half of the constituency will suggest to vote A first and B second. In the other half of the constituency, they will suggest vote B first and A second.

This maximises the chance of them staying in the contest as long as possible and hopefully both being elected...

2 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Incidentally, I don't mind admitting to approaching this in a fully contrarian way.

I honestly wouldn't even have bothered voting here, until the Unionist leaflets dropped the door and wound me up with their hypocrisy. What on earth do Council Elections have to do with Independence? The brass neck of them going on about day jobs and constitutional obsessions.

Everything.  In the event of another failed Independence vote Dundee and Angus should declare UDI.  We should invite the five families of Fife to join us, Perth can GTF.

3 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

And so continues the Ulsterisation of Scottish politics...

I am assuming you mean the default position is being either a "unionist" as in UUP/DUP  in Northern Ireland( known by some as Ulster) or "nationalist" as in Sinn Feinn or SDLP with their belief in eventual Irish Unification and this compares to the "Better together"/ No Thanks as the "Unionists" and the "Yes" movement as the nationalists. The curious thing is of course if you supported the European Union and are still a Conservative activist in Scotland you are in some ways no longer a "unionist" but having regained UK independence (as Theresa may has said) you are now a UKIP(per) or indeed a British nationalist. If you want Scotland to be independent you could now be a nationalist but if you support the EU you could be a unionist?  As far as the poster advice goes I think only one Party there has "unionist" in its official name and it is at the bottom for that reason. It's all so confusing.

Archived