Ross County v Inverness Caledonian Thistle

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will lose this game.  We are such a dreary team at the moment, it's the usual story with us, we start players and seem to think "well this is a good team, this will work" without actually trying to work out how to attack the opposition, how to create chances or how to prevent the opposition from threatening/scoring.  We might reshuffle some of the '3', maybe start Doran for Cole as Vigurs is undroppable and Polworth is an important player but I can't see it making much of a difference to anything.  We have three strikers who are all very similar and aren't threatening.  We don't have enough pace and movement up front and we are passive and one-paced in midfield.

If County don't win this comfortably it's a real missed opportunity for them.  

42 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

If County don't win this comfortably it's a real missed opportunity for them.  

Same old story!  If Warren or Draper or whoever else gets the opening goal at a set-piece, County won't come back into it.   ICT have lost two derbies in a row just once in the 22 years, I don't expect it to happen again this time.  Unless Burke is somehow ready to start, in which case I'd be so much more confident.

County played a 4-3-3 shape against Celtic, with Boyce and Curran flanking Schalk.  I doubt we'll see that again, but if Jim goes back to the 4-4-1-1 that was working okay until the wingers got ill/injured, there are a couple of questions:

• Does Woods stay in the team?  He suits pushing upfield in the 4-3-3 much more than being in a central 2.  Chow is still learning from mistakes every game but I wouldn't necessarily disrupt the partnership with Routis, yet Woods had his best game of the season in the win against ICT a few months ago.
  • Will we go back to Dow and Dingwall on the flanks?  Dow scored the winner vs Aberdeen but has done very little otherwise in nearly 10 hours of football.  Dingwall hasn't taken his chance and I'd rather Franks played if wingers are going to be used.

We will play the same system, we'll maybe just shuffle the '3'

------------------ Fon Williams-----------------

--McKay----Meekings----Warren----Tremarco---

-------------Draper-----------Tansey------------------

----Polworth-------Vigurs------------Cole------------

------------------Doumbaya----------------------------

Maybe stick Doran or King in for Cole, perhaps Doumbaya will get swapped for Fisher.  But it isn't really any substantive changes.  Bunglebonce makes a good point about set pieces, with Draper, Warren and Doumbaya getting on the end of deliveries by Tansey, Vigurs and Polworth we should try and exploit this but it's something we don't seem to really focus on that side of things.

Our play depends so much on width, Franks and Dingwall have proven themselves to be adequate for spells and I'd be surprised if McIntyre trusted them both for such a match.

Gardyne is definitely out, Burke has a chance but I can see McIntyre rejigging the whole line-up for this match, a back 3 with McLaughlin wide left, maybe 433 again.

Looking at the Motherwell highlights, ICT look really flat. When Inverness play flat, County usually have the better of things as their game is so high tempo. That's a good sign as County looked lively against Celtic. If Gardyne and Burke are both out, I'd go with Franks and Dingwall either side of Routis and Woods/Chow.

I think I'd rather have Franks with Dow rather than Dingwall here.  If Franks can consistently get a ball in on the right then Dow will get into the box.  There's a tiny chance that Tumilty could come into the equation, he was tidy with his passing on the right flank at Celtic and has scored a few goals for the u20s (he was brought in as a right-back but has been pushed further forward since), but I doubt he will start.

Big Kenny WdV will be back in contention, but I can't see Jim dislodging any of the back four to accommodate him, which was a problem until Quinn's injury.  Quinn took a knock to his arm at the end of the Celtic game but it won't keep him out.

Franky: I reckon Jim doesn't trust McLaughlin to have the legs to cover the left flank, which partly explains why he has been used at left-mid in his last two appearances (albeit that judgement is from a tiny sample, several months apart).  With Kenny back in the squad McLaughlin will be back in the u20s forevermore.  And if that is to be the case I'd rather he went on loan to a Championship club, he deserves to be playing first-team football for someone.

11udh05.png

Didn't realise that clip showed that famous photo!

Remember that game well though.  We had loads of injuries towards the end and ended up playing Danny Devine and Charlie Taylor in defensive midfield along with Conor Pepper (who hadn't been seen for months) on the wing.  We blew Europe that day but Butcher still did his end of game celebration for some reason.

Crappy day at the moment but forecast to clear up by kick off.

Will this one go to our previous form at home in these games, with us trying to play some kind of controlled game and ending up getting tanked, or will we come out of the traps and put in the kind of performance we often do in the reverse fixture?

I for one think Woods will make a difference if back in midfield and he's on his game.

Hoping for a full blooded encounter with any kind of win for us. Any.

STAGGIES

Archived