Dundee FC vs St Johnstone.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well played Dundee, a comfortable victory.

We could still be playing now and not scored, we created very little.

A central midfield of Paton and Davidson offers us nothing creatively, throw in Liam Craig first half who also did very little.

We did well to get a draw on Wednesday night, but we are so one paced and ponderous at times.  Any team playing with pace and energy gives us a problem.

A pity, as there was a decent away support and would have created a good atmosphere if the team had given us something to get behind.

Still, 5th in the table at half way is a good achievement. 

** Sour grapes type comment **

I know McDiarmid isn't great, but Dens is a horrendous soulless ground to watch a game at, it's so open.  

** Sour grapes type comment **
I know McDiarmid isn't great, but Dens is a horrendous soulless ground to watch a game at, it's so open.  

Only when you been bumfucked 3 zip.

It's a glorious stadium, full of history, memories, good and bad. Filled with real fans, fans of football - yes, but mostly filled with people who passionately love Dundee.

Sometimes when I'm at the cheese counter in the Asda on Dunkeld road I find myself thinking, this must be near where my dad sat, when Dundee won the league.

I sent a text to my 2 Saints mates at half time regarding us being 2 nil up - one replied with a quip about Glasgow Warriors, the other had been out 'doing a bit of spraying (crops) and hadn't realised the game had started.

Sums up the difference, Dundee are a real club, a real team, real history, a real stadium supported by real people. We've had ups and downs - that's life.

Wonder if Geoff and Steve are up yet, counting their beans?

Is Tommy Wright not considered a tactical genius on here? Hartley taught him a lesson today and if you'd ask Dee's they probably wouldn't put tactics down as his strong point.

TW is, tactically, one of the best in the league. He's struggling to find a way for us to beat the poorer sides in the league though, as our results show, and this type of result is something that happens every season. From memory both Partick and Kilmarnock have smashed us away from home in the past two seasons out of nowhere. With the greatest of respect to Dundee, but TW handed you the win today with that first half set up, and I'd be wary of getting so excited about your performance.

We need pace in the midfield. No idea why Wotherspoon wasn't on earlier, for all his flaws he'll at least be trying something. Swanson couldn't be arsed until he got some personal vandetta on the go, a shambolic performance, while Alston is so inconsistent its unreal.

TW is, tactically, one of the best in the league. He's struggling to find a way for us to beat the poorer sides in the league though, as our results show, and this type of result is something that happens every season. From memory both Partick and Kilmarnock have smashed us away from home in the past two seasons out of nowhere. With the greatest of respect to Dundee, but TW handed you the win today with that first half set up, and I'd be wary of getting so excited about your performance.

We need pace in the midfield. No idea why Wotherspoon wasn't on earlier, for all his flaws he'll at least be trying something. Swanson couldn't be arsed until he got some personal vandetta on the go, a shambolic performance, while Alston is so inconsistent its unreal.

^^^ hahahahaha - new arsehole is still a bit nippy

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

Only when you been bumfucked 3 zip.

It's a glorious stadium, full of history, memories, good and bad. Filled with real fans, fans of football - yes, but mostly filled with people who passionately love Dundee.

Sometimes when I'm at the cheese counter in the Asda on Dunkeld road I find myself thinking, this must be near where my dad sat, when Dundee won the league.

I sent a text to my 2 Saints mates at half time regarding us being 2 nil up - one replied with a quip about Glasgow Warriors, the other had been out 'doing a bit of spraying (crops) and hadn't realised the game had started.

Sums up the difference, Dundee are a real club, a real team, real history, a real stadium supported by real people. We've had ups and downs - that's life.

Wonder if Geoff and Steve are up yet, counting their beans?

:thumsup2

I'd disagree to be honest. I like Tommy Wright but his formation was utterly bizarre yesterday and he didn't change it much throughout.

Hartley's best attribute is his ability to spot a player, Wright's is supposed to be how he outthinks opposition managers. He was slow to react when it wasn't working yesterday and not once did I feel we were in danger of throwing it away.

If it wasn't for the fact that you've got so many points already I'd have said you looked like relegation candidates based on yesterday and I don't think it was just down to the players. For a comparison, Hartley started with an equally bewildering tactic that seen us go 2-0 down to Hearts but then he changed it radically to dig himself out of a hole. That'll not always work of course, but put it this way, I was surprised at 2-0 (might have been 3) down Wright takes off arguably your most potent striker and puts on another striker without any change to the shape that was causing you problems in the first place.

Obviously over analysing things as I appreciate it's only one game but my original point was it seemed like Wright has no plan B yesterday.

I don't see where the disagreement is, TW fucked up horrendously yesterday in his selection and tactics.

Hes won us a raft of points in his time in charge by changing things halfway through a match, switching to a back three against Rangers just days ago is a prime example, I understand you're excited about winning yesterday, but these things happen even to the best managers, so it's bizarre you've decided it means TW is shite at things tactically.

I don't see where the disagreement is, TW fucked up horrendously yesterday in his selection and tactics.

Hes won us a raft of points in his time in charge by changing things halfway through a match, switching to a back three against Rangers just days ago is a prime example, I understand you're excited about winning yesterday, but these things happen even to the best managers, so it's bizarre you've decided it means TW is shite at things tactically.

I've not. I'm just surprised that for a manager that's hyped to be the bees knees in regards to that sort of thing that he just gracefully accepted the pumping rather than trying to change it.

It's just a comment on the one game, as I've already said rather than me just labelling Wright as a dud obviously.

I've not. I just believe for a manager that's hyped to be the bees knees in regards to that sort of thing that he just gracefully accepted the pumping rather than trying to change it.

He did try and change it. He changed it, straight from kick off, to a "triangle" in midfield with Paton sitting deeper and Craig/Davidson ahead of him to match up to Dundee having Hateley and McGowan sitting with O'Hara ahead of them. That was working, but then we went behind and then conceded a second.

He then changed to a 4-4-1-1 with MacLean playing deeper and Kane trying to get onto the flick ons that previously had been trundling back to Bain.

Biggest flaw there was Swanson on the left in one of his "can't be arsed" moods and Paton as one of the central two.

After the third we went with a diamond midfield with Davidson, Swanson and Alston all further up the pitch and Wotherspoon dictating things from deep. Then Cummins replaced MacLean so we had two properly up front and both were willing to get in behind and run the channels.

It didn't work, as by then Dundee were full of confidence and happy to sit in with the knowledge Haber would win everything and they had more pace in the team than us to counter with, but it's naive to say he didn't try and change things.

I'd disagree to be honest. I like Tommy Wright but his formation was utterly bizarre yesterday and he didn't change it much throughout.

Hartley's best attribute is his ability to spot a player, Wright's is supposed to be how he outthinks opposition managers. He was slow to react when it wasn't working yesterday and not once did I feel we were in danger of throwing it away.

If it wasn't for the fact that you've got so many points already I'd have said you looked like relegation candidates based on yesterday and I don't think it was just down to the players. For a comparison, Hartley started with an equally bewildering tactic that seen us go 2-0 down to Hearts but then he changed it radically to dig himself out of a hole. That'll not always work of course, but put it this way, I was surprised at 2-0 (might have been 3) down Wright takes off arguably your most potent striker and puts on another striker without any change to the shape that was causing you problems in the first place.

Obviously over analysing things as I appreciate it's only one game but my original point was it seemed like Wright has no plan B yesterday.

When I see 'relegation' and St Johnstone in the same thread it gives me a wee firmness.

I'd go as far to say Sainties are the worst team I've seen at Dens this season, other than us, and we dicked them 3 zip. [emoji4]

He did try and change it. He changed it, straight from kick off, to a "triangle" in midfield with Paton sitting deeper and Craig/Davidson ahead of him to match up to Dundee having Hateley and McGowan sitting with O'Hara ahead of them. That was working, but then we went behind and then conceded a second.
He then changed to a 4-4-1-1 with MacLean playing deeper and Kane trying to get onto the flick ons that previously had been trundling back to Bain.
Biggest flaw there was Swanson on the left in one of his "can't be arsed" moods and Paton as one of the central two.
After the third we went with a diamond midfield with Davidson, Swanson and Alston all further up the pitch and Wotherspoon dictating things from deep. Then Cummins replaced MacLean so we had two properly up front and both were willing to get in behind and run the channels.
It didn't work, as by then Dundee were full of confidence and happy to sit in with the knowledge Haber would win everything and they had more pace in the team than us to counter with, but it's naive to say he didn't try and change things.

Swanson is clearly a good player. If he leaves in January do you think you're season will peter out?

Thought Alston was good yesterday.

Swanson is clearly a good player. If he leaves in January do you think you're season will peter out?

Thought Alston was good yesterday.

I don't know. You look at it and you'd say yes, that we would struggle without Swanson, but he's not the most important player in our team. I imagine we'd revert to flooding our own half with players and shitfesting draws again, until a new playmaker arose, whether that would be as successful as when we done it after May left, I don't know, but I'm not sure we'd plummet down the league.

Nightmare scenario is losing Swanson and TW in January

3 hours ago, Fifespud said:

.....Sometimes when I'm at the cheese counter in the Asda on Dunkeld road I find myself thinking, this must be near where my dad sat, when Dundee won the league.....

Never thought of it like that before but I like your way of thinking.

To be fair to St Johnstone fans they probably don't miss Muirton much.  It's not like they won any major trophies in their time there.

Archived